driveway mechanics - step ladders or ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtScaresMe

Trouble Maker
Threads
Website
facebook.com
I saw a mechanic one time with a little stool and thought it was ridiculous. Recently I've been working on my truck more often and yesterday went to yank the back three spark plugs. I decided the mechanic I saw had a smart idea and that superman'ing across the engine bay is dumb/dangerous.

I bought a little aluminum min-ladder at my local hardware shop, this little guy:

HBi2HaL.jpg

I also got a parts apron thing so I don't drop tools/fasteners as often.

Any other pro-tips for getting access? I have jackstands and chocks for getting underneath.

Never in my life would I have believed my wife would give serious consideration to a hydraulic lift, but as she sees me working on our cars (and saving nearly $5k of Lexus labor costs on one job alone) - she's telling me we should get one o_O

I'm like: "I'm not spending that kind of money,"
And she's all: "it would save us time and money if you weren't having to jack up the vehicles, use jack stands, roll on your back underneath - it just takes you so long to do things"

Still not really justifiable, but the wheels are turning.

I find my little 18v Milwaukee impact screwdriver makes short work of a whole bunch of small things. I can also swap the battery with my 1/2in Milwaukee impact wrench. I don't have compressed air so I use these two a whole lot! Oh and the harbor freight bearing/race driver set.

:cheers:

This is what I use. Usually $25 at lowes around xmas time.

Z1LNp-fo5oy.JPG

Never in my life would I have believed my wife would give serious consideration to a hydraulic lift, but as she sees me working on our cars (and saving nearly $5k of Lexus labor costs on one job alone) - she's telling me we should get one o_O

And she's all: "it would save us time and money if you weren't having to jack up the vehicles, use jack stands, roll on your back underneath - it just takes you so long to do things"

I find my little 18v Milwaukee impact screwdriver makes short work of a whole bunch of small things. I can also swap the battery with my 1/2in Milwaukee impact wrench. I don't have compressed air so I use these two a whole lot! Oh and the harbor freight bearing/race driver set.

What in the world!? What is wrong with you!? Jump on that lift before she changes her mind...and does she have a sister lol

I use a dewalt 1/2" impact driver; I love that thing. I got some wobble SK wobble sockets to make some other fits possible.

We're planning on building a garage here at our house in the next few years and I think I just might size it properly for a hydraulic lift and the vertical clearance (a) for the this roof rack'd and lifted truck to get in and (b) for it to get jacked up 6' in the sky. Seems mighty tall but those lifts are like $6K; would add some serious horsepower when done to have a *real* garage.

And where exactly do you live?

This is what I use. Usually $25 at lowes around xmas time.

Z1LNp-fo5oy.JPG

This. Between working on my LC and a friends lifted Ford Excursion, that aluminum bench is perfect.

For whatever reason, my old place had an abundance of cinder blocks piled beside the house. I just used those

Trace the hood brackets with Sharpie.
Remove Hood, leaving brackets on vehicle. (now is a good time to fasten hood ribs to skin)
Stand on Frame Rail.
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT lay across radiator and brake nipple off radiator. You won't be the 1st, since I took that Trophy.

Right now just a regular neighborhood ridgidly controlled by heavily gestapo-influenced HOA. In June we're moving on a little 4acre pad with enough space to build a workshop and (maybe) have a lift.
PM me when you get the lift installed. I'll be right down ;)

Those small step ladders can be a REAL BAD idea on a taller vehicle for leaning over the engine. If you stretch too far they can easily topple - once toppled, it can be easy to then slip you foot between the rung and then 'crash/bang/****'... One incident that peeled skin off the top of the ankle that bled like crazy and took ages to heal (probably needed stitches, but being of the male gender precluded that...) & left a permanent scar - never again.

cheers,
george.

Trace the hood brackets with Sharpie.
Remove Hood, leaving brackets on vehicle. (now is a good time to fasten hood ribs to skin)
Stand on Frame Rail.
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT lay across radiator and brake nipple off radiator. You won't be the 1st, since I took that Trophy.

I second the caution on the radiator nipple. SNAP! DOH!

Dig a trench in the yard just wide enough to squeeze the lc through! My buddies' uncle used to have a little folding scaffold, for painting indoors. It worked great for using as a temp workbench, welding bench and as a scaffold too. I know its kind of ridiculous to use for mechanic work, but it would be one of those usefull multi purpose things that one can have in the garage or shed if you have room. Once you removed the metal planks it would fold flat.

It was like this one.
Metaltech Mini Folding Steel Scaffold — 500Lb. Capacity, Model# I-IMCN | Scaffolding| Northern Tool + Equipment

Just stick some roll bar padding to not hurt the paint on the rig.

Last edited:
Woah! I did not know such a thing existed. Seems like it would be handy.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, namely because I don't have the space. When I get a shop, I think I will invest in one. My knees, shins and thighs will thank me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom