driveway mechanics - step ladders or ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw a mechanic one time with a little stool and thought it was ridiculous. Recently I've been working on my truck more often and yesterday went to yank the back three spark plugs. I decided the mechanic I saw had a smart idea and that superman'ing across the engine bay is dumb/dangerous.

I bought a little aluminum min-ladder at my local hardware shop, this little guy:

HBi2HaL.jpg

I also got a parts apron thing so I don't drop tools/fasteners as often.

Any other pro-tips for getting access? I have jackstands and chocks for getting underneath.

Step ladders suck because they move/fall because you are cantilevered too far over.

Step ladders suck because they move/fall because you are cantilevered too far over.

I'm mad that I made a bad pick, but stoked I haven't used it and still have the receipt.

Yeah step ladders are a bit suss. I've tipped them more than once. Tyre step looks like a great idea.
Removing the hood helps if you have a big job to do.

I have a gas lift office chair, back removed so it's just a stool. I have a round shallow tub mounted on top of the legs so I have tool tray under the stool. I use it all the time if I'm doing wheel bearings or brakes

I also used to have a tray that rested between the bull bar and the top of the radiator so I had somewhere to put tools and parts

I second the danger if the step ladder from the first post. Ladders of all heights are not designed for leaning.

That long Lowe's folding step probably wouldn't end well either.

I've been meaning to pick up a couple tire steps like darkness mentioned.

You could also deflate your tires or remove the wheels and place the front axle as low as your properly rated jack stands allow. And stand on the wheels you just took off.

Last edited:
This is what I use. Usually $25 at lowes around xmas time.

Z1LNp-fo5oy.JPG

Thank you for the plug of my employer and the Official Home Improvement Store of Mud! (not literally)

This is what I use. I have three. I set them on each side and walk around them. They are stable. They have a wider base so they aren't as unstable as a ladder.

I also have a 3/4" piece of plywood that is 18" wide that I carpeted. I lay it on top of the fenders and lay across it if needed. It covers over the nipple of the radiator on a 1FZ-FE. Makes a nice place to set tools as well. I'm sure the Lexus crowd wouldn't want to use that as it might scratch their paint...

I successfully use a step ladder without having it kick out on me by ratcheting it to the tire or front bumper. When I replaced my headgasket, I placed a board across the fenders in order to have something to lay across.

This is what I have. Love it.

That looks pretty dope. Isn't 6,000 pounds sort of knocking on the upper limit of how much a loaded LC can weigh?

Also, can that just work in a driveway?

I just use my stomach.

I put my stomach on top of the fender and balance my self with my legs up in the air, bent upwards.

image.jpg
I have two step ladders all over the place. Just bought another for my daughter and her new house. The wood ladders are nice and solid.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think I'll ever want to work under a skinny tall Harbor Freight lift.... whatever the price...

How bout one of these?

M25748650.jpg

Just got a wheel step. No more ladders/benches, etc kicking out when you lean just a little further....
Of course you can always throw a strap around your ladder/bench, etc. and the tire as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom