Drilling and Tapping the Frame? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BGarcia88FJ62

SILVER Star
Threads
I would like to mount a skid plate I made for my Transfer case.
is there enough meat in the bottom of the frame to drill and tap for
1/2" grade 8 bolts? :beer:.

I think you'll find that there really isn't enough thickness there to get more than 2 or three threads engaged. Probably not enough when you consider the amount of weight bouncing up and down.

What I did (mines a crossmember, not just a skidplate, that holds up the transmission and both transfer cases) is to through drill the bottom of the frame, 6 places and use 5/8" Grade 8 bolts, with flange nuts inside the frame. Just pick where the holes go and make sure there is some way to get the nut inside.

PS. I have no idea whether the frame from an early 45 equates to what you're working on.

Luke

I think you'll find that there really isn't enough thickness there to get more than 2 or three threads engaged. Probably not enough when you consider the amount of weight bouncing up and down.

Thats what I was thinking as well. I may just drill the holes and weld a bolt to the frame and mount it that way. Thanks for the reply :beer:.

I don't know for sure about a 62, but on the 80, there is not enough meat for that on the frame bottom surface. And I imagine they are similar thickness.
After all, that's probably why Toy did weld/tack nuts on the inside of the frame when they wanted to attach something important.

could you weld short 3-4" pieces of angle iron on the outside frame rail and bolt thru it? then the bolts are nice and easy to get at....just a thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom