DRAWER SYSTEM W/Add Ons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody devised a drawer system with platform that takes up the space up to the 2nd row seat, and then has an extension they add on when they remove the 2nd row seat?
If so can you post pics?
Need ideas, getting ready to jump into that project.

In other words I want to remove my third row forever. Then have a storage system and top that covers the wheel wells. Then have a add on section that can be put on if I remove the 2nd row seats.

Last edited:
Lots of people have done this, it seems. I just got the "first draft" of mine done recently... Jim Brantley has plans on realcruiser.com. Definitely check out this thread over in 60-series tech, too.

Steve:

I have given this a bunch of thought. Pete Houser is building a drawer set for the back of my 60, and I will build a platform to mate up to it, and fill in between the platform and the rear of the front seats when the second seats are folded up. This will be removeable. More room for dogs, birdguns, and other crap!!!! 'Course you will have your dog trailer, so this may not be as important to you.

M

this is the one in my 70. Stole most of it from Jim Brantley (thanks Jim!)
drawer.jpg

Mike,

I need to be able to add to a storage/platform system from the rear of the second row seats, to the rear of the front row sets. Remember I am going to try and sleep in my Cruiser. So I will need the additional section for hunting/vacation trips.

SS

It's easy to make a hinged section that will fold down for sleeping and fold away and rest on top of the rear cargo drawer system for the other times.

WHat you describe is exactly wht Slee sells in his drawer system.

I just bought a system similar to what you've described. It's made of various components, so you can purchase just what you need. I'm at the office right now, so I don't have pics handy, but will post them up as soon as I get home.

It's nice because you can get just the half width drawer or you can add on the side extension that covers the area over the wheel well and/or you can get the platform that rests on the back of the 2nd row seats when folded down. If you remove the 2nd row seats, this same platform has a foot attached for support.

The separate components all join together with screws, so it's easy to install and join together.

The main box bolts to the floor of the cargo area in the holes used for the 3rd row seat floor striker.

Doug,

Anxious to see the pictures of your drawer system.

Grouseman

NorCalDoug said:
I just bought a system similar to what you've described. It's made of various components, so you can purchase just what you need. I'm at the office right now, so I don't have pics handy, but will post them up as soon as I get home.

It's nice because you can get just the half width drawer or you can add on the side extension that covers the area over the wheel well and/or you can get the platform that rests on the back of the 2nd row seats when folded down. If you remove the 2nd row seats, this same platform has a foot attached for support.

The separate components all join together with screws, so it's easy to install and join together.

The main box bolts to the floor of the cargo area in the holes used for the 3rd row seat floor striker.
Tell us more! :)

Grouseman said:
Doug,

Anxious to see the pictures of your drawer system.

Grouseman
Ask and ye shall receive :D

Here are some pics of mine. Feel free to ask any questions.
DKJ_drawer_closed (Medium).JPG
DKJ_drawer_closed2 (Medium).JPG

firetruck41 said:
Tell us more! :)
The following pics show the "side extensions" -- the portion that covers the wheel wells. They fit very tightly in place. It's not too easy to see in the pics, but the side extension has an angle-cut length of board that fits into a notch that's affixed to the side of the cargo box. This makes for a tight fit -- no rattles or any other movement at all.

There are also pieces bolted onto the front and rear of the cargo box to block off the front and rear of the wheel well. These pieces are bolted onto the box and can be removed in less than a minute with a screwdriver.
DKJ_drawer_side1 (Medium).JPG
DKJ_drawer_side2 (Medium).JPG
DKJ_drawer_side3 (Medium).JPG

Doug-That looks awesome-a Jeff Kauffman product by the looks of it. Very sweet install. He did my cargo/trail box as well. He's a great craftsman. Here's mine:
1Mud1.jpg

Here are a couple shots of the inside of the box holding the drawer. The hole cut into the rear section of the box is there to allow for access to the rearmost anchor bolts and serve as a handle to help carry it during removal and installation. The rails on the bottom are strips of UHMW for the slides on the bottom of the box. If you look just above the box, you can make out the dado cuts in the bottom of the drawer.

Also included is a picture of the latch used.
DKJ_drawer_inside1 (Medium).JPG
DKJ_drawer_inside2 (Medium).JPG
DKJ_drawer_lock_close (Medium).JPG

Cruiserdrew said:
Doug-That looks awesome-a Jeff Kauffman product by the looks of it. Very sweet install. He did my cargo/trail box as well. He's a great craftsman. Here's mine:
:D
I hope you don't mind, but I'm stealing a couple pics that you posted a while back -- they do a better job of showing the dado cut grooves in the bottom of the drawer.
Cruiserdrew_box_bottom2.jpg
Cruiserdrew_box_bottom.jpg

I also bought the sleeping platform extension -- but I don't have a pic of mine.

I did get some pics that Jeff sent to me of the set he made for Mudrak. I don't think anyone will mind if I post these...

The drawer system is sold in sections -- cargo box, side extension, sleeping platform, etc. So, you can get some or all parts.

This first pic shows 1 drawer, 1 sleeping extension and the optional fridge box (it's hard to tell, but the fridge is sitting in a box -- it'll be clear in a following pic).
Mudrak_80 split 1 (Medium).jpg

This pic shows the full set with fridge box option.
If you had a regular drawer instead of the fridge box...obviously, it would be completely flat...you'd think I wouldn't need to state this, but... ;)

And...I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the fridge box has a lid that comes with it so you could use it as a drawer (?)...but I'm not sure -- you should check with Jeff for verification.
Mudrak_open (Medium) (Small).jpg
Mudrak_Full (Medium).jpg

FZJFillmore said:
Ok, how much? Really, really nice. I wish I had the mad wood skilz. I fall into the measure twice and still fawk it up camp.

I have the same wood skillz as you do ;)

Here are the prices he sent me a couple weeks ago:

Drawer - $340 each

Sleeping platform - $95 each

Side extensions - $60 each.

If you want a full set -- enough to cover the entire cargo area and 2nd row, double what you see above.

There's a FJ60 install kit that's $30 and a Core Trax tie-down system for $130 that's optional as well.

For more info, contact Jeff Kaufman -- he's on this board as slo60
Send him a PM, or email him at FJ60Kaufman@sbcglobal.net.

One more pic. I'm not sure if he's making these too, but here's a shot of his drawers -- the set up he has in his 60 series. Note that he sprayed bedliner on the box itself. I prefer the nice woodgrain finish on the maple, but Jeff suggests covering it with indoor/outdoor carpet or bedliner it like he did.
jeff's drw clos (Small).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom