Building cargo box for back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to build a custom cargo box for the back of my 87FJ60. Ultimatley I would like it about 10" high and with two drawers. Has anyone made one of these before and if so, can i get the details :banana:

About 4 weeks ago someone posted up on this - they had a slick box with the sliding drawers as well...

Can't seem to find it under search though...

Noah said:
I want to build a custom cargo box for the back of my 87FJ60. Ultimatley I would like it about 10" high and with two drawers. Has anyone made one of these before and if so, can i get the details :banana:

Noah - Here is a thread on rear boxes....
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=33778

The ghetto version was in my 60 for 10 years before it made its way to the 80.

HTH

Hi, I've been saving storage idea links for quite some time. I'll probably start working on a simple platform this weekend, supported by 2x8s, for my FJ55. For now I'm just going to slide plastic bins under there, the kind that fits under a bed, for example. That should fit spare parts and such, and some camping gear, and will be easily accesible. Future plans will probably include some nifty drawers, I like the clean look.

Here's some of the ideas I've been ruminating on, if I can attach them:

FJ80 Storage

FJ60 Storage

Another FJ80 Storage

Have fun,

Nial

"click-save, click-save, click-save..."

jim brantley did a nice job of writing up his roller drawers. we built one very similar, but chose to use 1x10 boards for the sides instead of plywood. http://home.off-road.com/~cruiserhead/drawer/tlcbox.html
The only downside has been that it is harder to put some large objects in the truck. Otherwise the drawer is fantastic.
If you do two drawers, you can get away with thinner wood on top as the center bar will help support the top.

Last edited:
I built one out of plywood and got 2 of those under the bed clear plastic storage boxes to slide under the platform. Works pretty good. Left some room at the end near the tailgate to mount my hi-lift jack between the platform and tailgate.

Made two cutouts behind the wheel wells to hold 5 gallon cans.

Covered it all in outdoor carpet.

Works great.

This topic has caught my eye, and might actually be the first project I do when I get my FJ60. It's actually a very practical mod, and can make an acident much safer, because all of the gear will be secured. I can get damaged wood really cheap from my work, so I should be able to build a nice box for fairly cheap...

Arrrrgh!

Webster said:
I built one out of plywood and got 2 of those under the bed clear plastic storage boxes to slide under the ...Made two cutouts behind the wheel wells to hold 5 gallon cans.

Webster! Please don't tell me that you are hauling 10 gallons of gas INSIDE your passenger compartment. That is a BAD thing - fumes, danger in a collision, just bad joss.

M

Mike S said:
Webster! Please don't tell me that you are hauling 10 gallons of gas INSIDE your passenger compartment. That is a BAD thing - fumes, danger in a collision, just bad joss.

M
Hey Mike:

Isn't there about 10 gallons sloshing around under the seat of your 47 CJ2a? :)

I agree though, Webster should convert to diesel!

lowenbrau said:
Hey Mike:

Isn't there about 10 gallons sloshing around under the seat of your 47 CJ2a? :)

I agree though, Webster should convert to diesel!

Yeah! But with 5.38s and the original l head 4 banger, I can't go fast enough to crash. It gets flat towed to where ever I am going to run on trails. Never run it on the street.

Nurse Diesel?

M

This is what I whipped up a couple of weeks ago. Turned out fine. Might have been a little taller as these pull outs aren't all that deep. Works fine for now though.
abz.sized.jpg

acb.sized.jpg

acc.sized.jpg
acd.sized.jpg
ace.sized.jpg
acg.sized.jpg

1/2" plywood, 1x8" pine, wood glue, screws and some old carpet I had around.
Working on a cargo barrier now.
Russ :cool:

thanks for the pics. I think i am gonna try and make it with built in drawers. I plan to sell the LC, but thought if I put a drawer system in the back it would make it that much more desirable...and I like to build stuff. :)

Russ, that's almost exactly what I'll be building this weekend for my 55! Is it attached to the floor in any way? Mine will be removable, but I'm thinking I should anchor it somehow...

Nial

Russ, that looks like a very simple but strong design. It looks like it would be very easy for anyone to builld, and it makes efficent use off all the cargo area space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom