DRAWER SYSTEM W/Add Ons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He uses pre-finished "Maple-ply" That finish is very hard and durable-like a floor finish. It's slippery though, so you really need to tie things down. While I don't have his "core-lokt" system, I wish I did, it's really a nice design, with a pro, and finished look. Jeff does really great work, and puts tons of thought, time and materials into his designs. He also wheels his FJ60 with his 3 boys in tow. Highly reccomended.

The following is from Jeff's email to me -- the one that included the prices:

Dimensions of the drawers are 41-1/2” long x 20-5/8” wide x 12” high.
When attached together it creates a platform that's 41-1/2” x 41-1/4”.

The side extensions extend the platform fully side to side. The sleeping platform installs forward of the drawers 30-1/2” to form a sleeping area approximately 5’ wide and 6’ long.

I saw Doug's drawers (uh, huh huh) last week. I have decent woodworking skills and I was very impressed. The plastic(HDPE?) runners work smooth, will carry quite a bit of weight and hold the drawer very securely, no slop or rattles.

Unpaid, unsolicited endorsement.

Sweet Doug! Man, that's a awesme setup. That full flat floor w/ fridge in drawer is really nice.
Do you think it would be better to have some flush tie-down points on there or do you think it's unnecessary?

I saw Andy's drawer setup as well and it's top notch quality.

Doug,

Great system. Thanks for all the time you spent on posting pictures for this thread.

GM

FirstToy said:
Sweet Doug! Man, that's a awesme setup. That full flat floor w/ fridge in drawer is really nice.
Do you think it would be better to have some flush tie-down points on there or do you think it's unnecessary?

I saw Andy's drawer setup as well and it's top notch quality.
Tiedown points would be nice. If I don't add some myself, I might look into the system that Jeff has -- it's the Core Trax system. I prefer to have stuff as secure as possible when on the trail.

Last edited:
BTT :)

Very nice craftsmanship...

Thanks for all the info Doug! I really like the versatility that this system offers. I think these drawers jumped up the wish list more than a few notches...

:cool:

Very nice indeed. I made my own for a lot less, but a ton of labor. I'm not sure I'd be able to bring myself to staple carpet to Jeff's gorgeous craftsmanship! Mine, on the other hand, looks way better with the carpet covering all the ugly. :D

I did my drawer a year ago based on Jim's design. If I were to do it again, I would probably go with Jeff's drawers. Anyway you go, having a drawer in the back of the cruiser is a must.

Regards

Alvaro

I also did Jim's design with some subtle variations. The main difference being shorter height than most. The total weight of my system is around <50 lbs and worked out great on our Colorado trip last week. Ofcourse, some minor changes need to be made but ain't there always!

Impressive work!

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm about to start work on my own system. That one is real nice Doug. I have a sub box in the back of my 80 with 2 8" subs in it. Now I will build my system around and over my sub box, thus hiding it and getting myself a drawer setup at the same time. This gives me a few good ideas. :idea:

Here is a pic of a box I got from a dealer that had taken it out of a trade-in .

IMG_7053.jpg

It's a bit beat up from sitting outside for a few winters. The sides have hinges that open to access the boxes underneath behind the wheel wells. The front extension folds accordian style, in three pieces, to extend the surface over the back seats. That way with the front seats forward I can stretch all the way out (I'm 6'2") and sleep comfortably inside. It folds in so that the back seats can be used with the rest of the box still in place. There is a U shaped piece that pulls forward from around the main box to add support under the extension and adds another storage area when it's in place.

It's a great design but on the heavy side. Could be improved and lightened. The bottom is shown with the drawers removed. The slider tracks are a bit damaged so that's why I don't have the drawers in place.

I got my Slee "African Outback" drawers on a pallet yesterday and hope to get them installed this weekend. I just removed my 2nd row seats and plan to build a platform for sleeping---I am looking for some ideas for storage under the platform where the seats were.

chukarhiker said:
I got my Slee "African Outback" drawers on a pallet yesterday and hope to get them installed this weekend. I just removed my 2nd row seats and plan to build a platform for sleeping---I am looking for some ideas for storage under the platform where the seats were.

You'll love 'em...got mine last month from Slee. Also I ordered, from Slee the Ancra Quickrelease tie-downs that are great for securing everything from fridge/freezers to dog crates.

FYI: If you are even remotely thinking about a dual battery system and/or extra DC outlets in the back run the wiring and connect the outlet/plugs in the back before you install the drawers...it will save you alot of time removing the drawer system later on...
Drawer 1.jpg

chukarhiker said:

Chukarhiker: Where are you located?

spressomon said:
Chukarhiker: Where are you located?

Spressoman;

I live in Dayton, Nevada about 20 miles east of Carson City. I see you live in Reno just up and over the hill from me. I would like to see your rig sometime I didnt know you could put an OME lift in a 100--my daughter lives in Reno and has a 100 also (stock).

Jim

spressomon said:
You'll love 'em...got mine last month from Slee. Also I ordered, from Slee the Ancra Quickrelease tie-downs that are great for securing everything from fridge/freezers to dog crates.

FYI: If you are even remotely thinking about a dual battery system and/or extra DC outlets in the back run the wiring and connect the outlet/plugs in the back before you install the drawers...it will save you alot of time removing the drawer system later on...

Thanx for the tip--I am about 1/2 way on the install right now and will thread some #8 wire under the frame right now for possible future use.

I was going to use the stock 4 tie-downs I took out under the drawer system but they would stick up--do your tie-downs recess when not in use?

Jim

very interesting. would like more details about the "foot" doug mentioned that braces the extension even if the 2nd rows are removed, and also the hinge system for the extension over the 2nd row. Has he left a lip on the back of the drawer for the extension to seat on or do those 2 screw holes in the extension indicate some kind of large gate style hinge? photos would be great.

Also for installation I had thought of threaded rods with open eye hooks at one end that grabbed the existing mounting bars for the 3rd rows. is it not a hassle to remove those mounts and bolt these suckers in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom