DRAWER SYSTEM W/Add Ons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chukarhiker said:
Thanx for the tip--I am about 1/2 way on the install right now and will thread some #8 wire under the frame right now for possible future use.

I was going to use the stock 4 tie-downs I took out under the drawer system but they would stick up--do your tie-downs recess when not in use?

Jim

Not recessed but low profile and easily removed if necessary.

chukarhiker said:
Spressoman;

I live in Dayton, Nevada about 20 miles east of Carson City. I see you live in Reno just up and over the hill from me. I would like to see your rig sometime I didnt know you could put an OME lift in a 100--my daughter lives in Reno and has a 100 also (stock).

Jim

Let's hook up sometime...I'm getting the 100 ready for the Chukar season...can't wait!

I almost......ordered those.....and prolly still will, damn they are nice. No fridge slide? my only reason for not ordering them was the fride slide was on the PS.....I like my fridge on the DS.....and there is no option for this from African Outback, but there is from the aussie company(which makes the same units, the orignals I think) http://www.4wdinteriors.com/roller_overview.php

what kinda fridge is that?

Good point about the wiring, I should get started on it :)

John

spressomon said:
You'll love 'em...got mine last month from Slee. Also I ordered, from Slee the Ancra Quickrelease tie-downs that are great for securing everything from fridge/freezers to dog crates.

FYI: If you are even remotely thinking about a dual battery system and/or extra DC outlets in the back run the wiring and connect the outlet/plugs in the back before you install the drawers...it will save you alot of time removing the drawer system later on...

Landpimp said:
I almost......ordered those.....and prolly still will, damn they are nice. No fridge slide? my only reason for not ordering them was the fride slide was on the PS.....I like my fridge on the DS.....and there is no option for this from African Outback, but there is from the aussie company(which makes the same units, the orignals I think) http://www.4wdinteriors.com/roller_overview.php

what kinda fridge is that?

Good point about the wiring, I should get started on it :)

John

Waeco CF51.

semlin said:
very interesting. would like more details about the "foot" doug mentioned that braces the extension even if the 2nd rows are removed, and also the hinge system for the extension over the 2nd row. Has he left a lip on the back of the drawer for the extension to seat on or do those 2 screw holes in the extension indicate some kind of large gate style hinge? photos would be great.

Also for installation I had thought of threaded rods with open eye hooks at one end that grabbed the existing mounting bars for the 3rd rows. is it not a hassle to remove those mounts and bolt these suckers in?

The AO drawers do have a 2" lip for the placement of an extention.

I still am looking for some storage ideas/gun mounting ideas for under the extention though--any one have any ideas?

No hassle to remove the bolts--you need to trim a little carpet and bolt thru the Drawer frame and a plastic spacer into the same threaded hole the seat anchors were bolted to(bolts and spacers come with the kit).

Jim

Jim,

Why not put the guns in the main storage system which would have access thru the rear door?

Grouseman

Grouseman said:
Jim,

Why not put the guns in the main storage system which would have access thru the rear door?

Grouseman

Drawers aren't long enough as they are designed (AO).

spressomon said:
Drawers aren't long enough as they are designed (AO).

I use SxS guns and take them down for storage in Leg o' Mutton cases, and they go in the drawer or on top of the dog box in the back. For a chukar hunter, this is the answer. Gives protection on bad roads, and good access when you stop for a hike.

M

Mike,

We are assuming Hiker is a true bird hunter who shoots a classic SXS though. If not have one drawer instead of two and fit the guns in at a diagoninal. Look up Truck Vault drawer systems hiker.

Grouseman

QUOTE=Mike S]I use SxS guns and take them down for storage in Leg o' Mutton cases, and they go in the drawer or on top of the dog box in the back. For a chukar hunter, this is the answer. Gives protection on bad roads, and good access when you stop for a hike.

M[/QUOTE]

Mike

A Chukar Gun needs a case like true love needs a Pimp (ie--why put a gun in a case that you are going to be either throwing down in the rocks when you go down or using to break your fall?)

Jim

Grouseman said:
Mike,

We are assuming Hiker is a true bird hunter who shoots a classic SXS though. If not have one drawer instead of two and fit the guns in at a diagoninal. Look up Truck Vault drawer systems hiker.

Grouseman

A Chukar Hunter is a true "Bird" hunter who has never heard of a "classic SXS" but just the sound of the name and the fact that none of my hunting buddies have one makes me think it only fires 2 or 3 shells and its owners would be so upset if they took a chunk out of the stock on a fall in the rocks---give me my 6-shot Benelli autoloader with synthetic stock anyday (in 4 years only a few scrapes/nicks and an unventilated (ie smashed) rib.

Back on subject I am going to look into using my U-shaped Quad double gun mounts by mounting through the holes vacated by the 2nd seats being removed. By mounting the guns with opposing butts the driver and passanger should be able to jump out grab guns load, and defend themselves in a matter of seconds if a some wily Chukar happen to cross the road in front of the truck (it is legal by the way to do this on seconcdary roads in this State--altho usually results in no birds but a lot of excitement) .

On the side--do you guys know of any good upland forums--I can not seem to find any.

Jim

OK I did a Google " SXS shotgun" and now I know a SXS is a "Double Barrel" shotgun.
Yeah a double barrel shotgun now is either Over and Under or Side by Side but used to be a Double was what you call a SXS--the other was called an over and under.
Used a Stevens Double Barrel the first couple years I hunted birds--great gun but with Chukar and the fact that the birds may get up sporadicly for several shots I like the autoloader.
As they say "the first time I went Chukar Hunting I went for sport after that it has been for revenge".

Jim

Jim,

So your auto kind of guy. That's ok. Remember just because your buddies don't have one, doesn't mean they are right either. I see now that you are also a road hunter. That makes sense an auto guy that road hunts. Hopefully these sites will help you in your quest for upland birds. Maybe change your methods, and or selection of guns. Hey I converted my best friend who shot autos (Benelli) for a lot of years. Now he is in Alaska and autos don't do so well there in the cold. Now he is buying a trusty Fox SXS because it will work in the colder temps. Hey at least you own several Cruisers. :)

Try these.

Shooting Sportsman
Upland Journal
Pointing Dog Journal
Pheasant Country

Just google for them and click on chat rooms.

Grouseman said:
Jim,

So your auto kind of guy. That's ok. Remember just because your buddies don't have one, doesn't mean they are right either. I see now that you are also a road hunter. That makes sense an auto guy that road hunts. Hopefully these sites will help you in your quest for upland birds. Maybe change your methods, and or selection of guns. Hey I converted my best friend who shot autos (Benelli) for a lot of years. Now he is in Alaska and autos don't do so well there in the cold. Now he is buying a trusty Fox SXS because it will work in the colder temps. Hey at least you own several Cruisers. :)

Try these.

Shooting Sportsman
Upland Journal
Pointing Dog Journal
Pheasant Country

Just google for them and click on chat rooms.

Sounds like you have never Chukar hunted...I shot, in the Midwest while Pheasant, Bobwhite, Dove, P.Chickens, Sharptails, Ducks, with a number of different OU's...my father even used a 21 for same...but hunting Chukar out here is a totally different hunt...I would venture to say using a nice double while hunting out here would result in either of two things: A nice gun that gets deprecited real quick (beat by the terrain) or a hunt without shooting at Chukar...JMHO.

NorCalDoug said:
Ask and ye shall receive :D

Here are some pics of mine. Feel free to ask any questions.

Doug would you be willing to post some pics of the extention, how it attaches to the box, if it is only supported by the seats, dimentions, any thing on the extention as that is the one part I can not picture in my head yet?
Thanks President Doug you have my vote in 2008 :D
Steven

Jim,

Ask Cman how he does it. He has a graded Fox that is beautiful and he seems to harvest a few birds without damaging his Fox. I understand the terrain is very rocky, and dangerous.
Good luck with the drawer system and extensions.

Steve

Steve--

We are always ready to chase the birds and if we see a group from the road on the way into our hiking spot we jump out-let the dog out and grab guns and vests. Usually by this time (even though it may only be 20 seconds after we stop) the birds are running up the side of the hill or sailing to the next ridge so a "road Hunt" can turn into a morning hike as one of the keys to bird hunting is locating them (they have a big house). I guess you could call this road hunting but it is a little different than jumping out and shooting a Grouse out of a tree.

Thanx for the leads on the forums I will check them out altho I doubt if I will ever go back to a Double having been there before. I agree the Double is bullet proof for reliable but useless when you need that 3rd or 4th shot. I have hunted with my Benelli (and my 1100 before that) in very cold weather and never had a problem (the 1100 did need the action cleaned on a regular basis though).

I know of no avid Chukar hunters that have a prestine gun. If I go down I dont give a second thought about sacrificing my $1000 gun vs. myself.

Do you keep driving when you see a Grouse near your logging roads on your way in to your hunting spot?

Jim

loquito said:
Doug would you be willing to post some pics of the extention, how it attaches to the box, if it is only supported by the seats, dimentions, any thing on the extention as that is the one part I can not picture in my head yet?
Thanks President Doug you have my vote in 2008 :D
Steven

Doug--that is one nice looking system
Ditto-- please give us some details on the extention.

Thanx, Jim

Jim said:
Yes of course we do. :) Hey Dude I was just teasing a little. Since you don't know me, you didn't realize that I was pulling your chain. Didn't mean to get you ruffled. Lighten up here Hiker. Have you figured out your final design for the drawer system yet?

Steve

Does anybody have a template of their system that they built (Top View) ? With all the curves etc.

Thanks
Grouseman

So I can see a divergence of opinion on proper armament for various hunters and game birds.

Yes. I use a 'classic side by side' in 16 gauge. But I hunt chukars 60 to 70 days a year so I am not worried if I don't kill all the birds (or even as many as I might with a magazine gun). And I do fall a couple of times a year. Since I am old, I go a little more slowly, and my dogs will hold the bird til I get there - or not.

However, I recoginize that there are various theories and practices in pursuing chukars, and it would be silly to say that one way is any better than another. I do this stuff for fun, and hope everyone else does too.

This is where I hunt...

323939.jpg

This is what we hunt...

323941.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom