"Don't use lockers" ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpeg

There are different methods. Use what works at the time. I've had a harder time in the past taking my 80 locked F&R than I have my unlocked 40 on the same trail.

Arguments abound for which method is most destructive but that's all dependent on the situation.

I was learning so much. ;<(

I don't fully understand the "lockers cause trail damage" theory. You could also argue that all-terrain tires cause less trail damage than more aggressive tires.

Good point,

It's going to be a long while before I ever have lockers but I love watching the ARB Australia videos with the three different versions of Prados and how they all run the same obstacle and the locked just seems to walk slowly right through stuff.

Or at least when compared to the other two, I'm sure it's well rehearsed but I would think it would be easier on the trail if it causes less wheel spin.

you bet, this is going sideways and no need for me to get involved.
Going sideways is definitely not treading lightly. Perhaps you should engage your lockers? ;)

The lockers / no lockers question in regards to trail damage is very subjective and we are only questioning it due to our current culture of environmentalism run amuck IMO. One could argue that lockers cause more churning of the earth due to the inside tire. That same argument can be used for an unlocked truck that spins one tire all the way up an obstacle. Another point of view is that the driver of a locked truck may attempt tougher obstacles and therefore cause more damage to the trail. Then there are the Jeep drivers who will try any obstacle open or locked and just don't give a crap and end up flopping over and spilling juices or catching the woods on fire. You can't fix stupid.

The folks that argue over these details are the same folks that would say that off-road vehicles are killing the planet because they are gas guzzling, rain forest trampling implements of destruction. That may be true for some vehicles but my position is that Land Cruisers, in particular, are quite possibly the most eco-friendly vehicles on the planet. Here's why:

First, they are infinitely rebuildable. It takes more natural resources to build a new car than it does to maintain an old car. Land cruisers are not throw-away vehicles. They last a long time. When they break, they get fixed and keep doing their job. One of the things I love about our LC culture is that those of us with the older trucks always get the nod of approval for keeping them on the road and/or trail. We don't go out and buy a new truck every five years. We keep them going and improve on them as we see fit. We may burn a lot of gas as we drive but the truth is, every mile we put on our trucks is (in theory) reducing the need for a new vehicle to be built.

Second, they allow us to commune with nature. In the same way that hunters and fishermen have taken the lead on conservation and wildlife management, those of us who are immersed in the off-road culture recognize the need for keeping the trails open for future generations. We are the same folks who let birds nest in the bumpers of our trucks or help a turtle across the road. We teach our kids to respect nature. We spend our family vacations out in the woods. Our vehicles allow us to get out and experience God's creation up close as I believe he intended. Do we cause damage? Yes, sometimes we do but we have to look at the big picture. The better question is whether we are causing more harm than good. In order to strengthen a muscle, a certain amount of damage has to take place. I like to think that a few trail scars are part of a greater process of strengthening our awareness of nature and building a greater respect for it.

Sorry for the off-tangent rant but I believe that we over think a lot of things these days. Life isn't really all that complicated as long as we have some respect for each other and for the ball of dirt we live on.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Sadly, these internets lack tone. Perhaps that's why some approach friendly debate like blood sport.
Is seems that some thought we were fighting. I didn't think we were. I thought we were having more of an unanswerable bar room debate along the lines of Brady vs Montana (Brady) or Ali vs Tyson (Ali) or Jordan vs James (who cares?).
Anyway signing off.

No, no @RedHeadedStepChild, I was not insinuating that there was a squabble among the group...only that it is easy to split hairs over environmental issues. I believe we, as a group, are on the same page. If only the rest of the world could understand how off-reading and environmental responsibility are not mutually exclusive. That was my rant. Nothing to do with anyone here.

Is seems that some thought we were fighting. I didn't think we were. I thought we were having more of an unanswerable bar room debate along the lines of Brady vs Montana (Brady) or Ali vs Tyson (Ali) or Jordan vs James (who cares?).
Anyway signing off.

That's what I thought too!!

So my wife, Queen of Erosion Control and Stormwater Management with the State of North Carolina, wheels with the club all the time. Her thought process: the actual Forest Service is doing more damage with outdated land conservancy techniques, then us with our offroading.

The lockers / no lockers question in regards to trail damage is very subjective and we are only questioning it due to our current culture of environmentalism run amuck IMO. One could argue that lockers cause more churning of the earth due to the inside tire. That same argument can be used for an unlocked truck that spins one tire all the way up an obstacle. Another point of view is that the driver of a locked truck may attempt tougher obstacles and therefore cause more damage to the trail. Then there are the Jeep drivers who will try any obstacle open or locked and just don't give a crap and end up flopping over and spilling juices or catching the woods on fire. You can't fix stupid.

The folks that argue over these details are the same folks that would say that off-road vehicles are killing the planet because they are gas guzzling, rain forest trampling implements of destruction. That may be true for some vehicles but my position is that Land Cruisers, in particular, are quite possibly the most eco-friendly vehicles on the planet. Here's why:

First, they are infinitely rebuildable. It takes more natural resources to build a new car than it does to maintain an old car. Land cruisers are not throw-away vehicles. They last a long time. When they break, they get fixed and keep doing their job. One of the things I love about our LC culture is that those of us with the older trucks always get the nod of approval for keeping them on the road and/or trail. We don't go out and buy a new truck every five years. We keep them going and improve on them as we see fit. We may burn a lot of gas as we drive but the truth is, every mile we put on our trucks is (in theory) reducing the need for a new vehicle to be built.

Second, they allow us to commune with nature. In the same way that hunters and fishermen have taken the lead on conservation and wildlife management, those of us who are immersed in the off-road culture recognize the need for keeping the trails open for future generations. We are the same folks who let birds nest in the bumpers of our trucks or help a turtle across the road. We teach our kids to respect nature. We spend our family vacations out in the woods. Our vehicles allow us to get out and experience God's creation up close as I believe he intended. Do we cause damage? Yes, sometimes we do but we have to look at the big picture. The better question is whether we are causing more harm than good. In order to strengthen a muscle, a certain amount of damage has to take place. I like to think that a few trail scars are part of a greater process of strengthening our awareness of nature and building a greater respect for it.

Sorry for the off-tangent rant but I believe that we over think a lot of things these days. Life isn't really all that complicated as long as we have some respect for each other and for the ball of dirt we live on.
I read this with epic music playing in my head.
Bravo!

So my wife, Queen of Erosion Control and Stormwater Management with the State of North Carolina, wheels with the club all the time. Her thought process: the actual Forest Service is doing more damage with outdated land conservancy techniques, then us with our offroading.
We have the same issue with mountain bikers vs hikers on trails. The current thought is that mountain bikers do more harm to the trail than hikers. But there is an heavily organized group of mountain bikers that regularly go out and fix, improve, maintain, and remove alternate paths along the trails for both the hikers and the mountain bikers.. To my knowledge there is not a single group of walker/hikers that maintain the trails.

A perfect example are the multiuse trails at Crabtree County park. The local mountain bike group TORC regularly works with the park service to maintain and address issues on the trails. The hiking trails at Umstead where mountain bikes are not permitted are literally falling apart. The landscape changes constantly from both natural erosion and heavy foot traffic but no one has done anything to address this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom