Dobinson Lift Question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to get a Dobinson (IMS) lift on my GX460. I've never gotten a lift before, so I'm still trying to learn everything.
I've talked to a shop and they said I can choose the height (thinking 2, 2.5, or 3 inches but not sure what would have the smoothest ride as well). I will be getting an ironman front bumper in a bit as well and victory roof rack. From what I've read, people recommended getting a lift first before getting the bumper as it's too heavy for stock?? So from what they said, is this a suspension lift or a body lift? I'm not exactly sure of the difference between the two aside from what I've read on forums. Also, I've read that lifts can void warranty but some say they didn't have issue with it unless it resulted from the lift? Anyone deal with warranty after getting a lift personally?

Front Springs: C59-352 - V8 - 2" Lift, 110-220LBS front end load Front Shocks: IMS59-50700 - Internal Monotube, suits 0-2.5" lift Rear Springs: C59-325 - 1.75" lift, Stock rear end load Rear Shocks: IMS59-50705 - Internal Monotube, suits 0-2.5" lift Optional Install Parts: DD59-527K - required with 3" lift, could also be used for 2" to 2.5",SC59-001 - Pair Front Strut Caps,PS59-4030 - 1/4" spacer at the strut, for vehicles with excess leaning Front Optional Assembly: Front Pair Strut Assembly (requires cap purchase) Rear Optional Parts: PS59-4025 - 15mm rear coil spacer, for vehicles with excess leaning.

(Optional): ARB UPPER CONTROL ARM For use with 4Runner, Prado 120, and Prado 150

Can someone clarify what these mean? It's like trying to read French or Russian or somethin lol

Call Kyle at Treaty Oak Offroad. He can walk you through everything and answer all your questions. The PO (who is a good friend of mine) I bought my rig from set my 2013 up with Kyle and is almost exactly what you are doing. This is what he did (keep in mind it was a few years ago and I don’t think the IMS was available at that time).

AA485E76-9EEA-4B40-92DD-76D5BCE45FE8.jpeg

A1FF461F-48EA-4726-A9DB-E252FCC8B133.jpeg

Call Kyle at Treaty Oak Offroad. He can walk you through everything and answer all your questions. The PO (who is a good friend of mine) I bought my rig from set my 2013 up with Kyle and is almost exactly what you are doing. This is what he did (keep in mind it was a few years ago and I don’t think the IMS was available at that time).

View attachment 2906310

View attachment 2906312
So with this set up, will it ride pretty close to stock ride and it'll have no problem with a front bumper like yours weight wise?

Also, is it common to get different height for front and back? I noticed the shop quoted w/ 2 inches in the front and 1.75 in the rear.

I have no idea how a GX460 rides with the stock suspension. I've never been in one other than mine and it was already lifted. The PO put 10 ply E rated MT tires on it not long before selling it. To me, the ride is a little harsh and I attribute a good portion of that to the tires. They are only aired to 32lbs but I still think it's mostly the tires. Up until this point all my rigs have been solid front axle so I am used to a harsh ride however, I need to look into softening this a bit. I am still learning this IFS stuff. ;)

As for the different heights, the GX has a natural forward rake so the difference in height is to level it out a little better.

I have no idea how a GX460 rides with the stock suspension. I've never been in one other than mine and it was already lifted. The PO put 10 ply E rated MT tires on it not long before selling it. To me, the ride is a little harsh and I attribute a good portion of that to the tires. They are only aired to 32lbs but I still think it's mostly the tires. Up until this point all my rigs have been solid front axle so I am used to a harsh ride however, I need to look into softening this a bit. I am still learning this IFS stuff. ;)

As for the different heights, the GX has a natural forward rake so the difference in height is to level it out a little better.
Ah, I see. With the front bumper, it'll end up being front heavy, but it may not be heavy enough to affect the leveled out stance. From reading the description from the shop, are you able to tell if it's a suspension lift, body lift, or a combination of both?

Looks like suspension to me, unless you're seeing a space between the frame and the body when you're eye level with the bottom of the rocker panel, it is only suspension. A body lift will physically lift the body off the frame and usually you'll see a space when looking underneath.

Looks like suspension to me, unless you're seeing a space between the frame and the body when you're eye level with the bottom of the rocker panel, it is only suspension. A body lift will physically lift the body off the frame and usually you'll see a space when looking underneath.
And it usually puts an ugly gap between the cab and bumpers since those are bolted separately to the frame

Reactions: r2m
Personally I hate body lifts. I did a body lift on my '98 100 series LC, ONLY because the maximum suspension lift available on the market is only 2.5" and I wanted to run 35" tires. So I built my own body lift using Class 8.8 bolts, nylon locking nuts and cut my spacers out of UHMW Polyethylene round rod. Since those older Landcruisers had manual shift hi/lo select, I had to make a small aluminum extension handle for the shifter or the handle would have been buried in the console.
Here's the link to my old LC and the body lift I did, start at about post #100:
It was the only way I was going to be able to run 35"s.
One of the biggest issues I have with body lifts are that people that don't know doo-doo about off roading and how to properly build a rig will throw a body lift on because it's the cheapest way to lift a vehicle, stupid huge tires and they have a mall cruiser. When they do venture off the tarmac, they usually see just how bad a setup they have.
Another issues with body lifts is you're raising your CG (center of gravity) without increasing any break-over distance or ground clearance. On the trail you don't gain anything.
I did mine knowing all this but my build was a well through out, practical and functional build. There just was no other options suspension options. :meh:

I 2nd calling or emailing Kyle at TOO. I wanted the same lift and thought I had picked the right parts but Kyle told me otherwise and.. he was spot on.
Kyle is a great guy. He is friends with the SSO krewe and that's how I met him. Their vendor tents are always close to one another at Jambo.

I just finished DIY installing a Dobinson's 2" (2.5" Rear) lift. The ride is better than stock, non-air-ride, BUT my stock had 94,000mi on them. I kept the rear a bit higher to deal with loading. We stack in 10days of gear/goods when we go and I like to have it level on the trail. No squatting.

This 2013 GX does not and will not have a big front bumper, but may get a hidden winch and I sized my springs for comfort on road. While it rides better than the old clapped out stock units, it is still a "truck" and rides like one. Tires can make a big difference in ride quality. I'm convinced this is why the stock tires tend to be mushrooms in comparison to real truck tires. Another consideration for ride quality is how our KDSS and FAT sway-bars (damn those are big) stiffen up the ride above certain speeds.

Fair warning, it took a FULL 4 months to get the Dobinson kit to my door. So don't get in a hurry.

S

Reactions: r2m
This 2013 GX does not and will not have a big front bumper, but may get a hidden winch and I sized my springs for comfort on road.
Just a thought regarding a hidden winch, you could also do a hidden front 2" receiver. With a receiver on both ends and a receiver mounted winch, you'd be set!

Just a thought regarding a hidden winch, you could also do a hidden front 2" receiver. With a receiver on both ends and a receiver mounted winch, you'd be set!
That is a neat idea. Where does one get a front receiver?

S

That is a neat idea. Where does one get a front receiver?

S
Humm, I think there may have been someone on this forum that may have done it.
With all due respect you may have to do a search. You may also search other forums also, like the 4R's and and GX470 forums.
Personally, I don't know off the top of my head, but I know I've seen them on other vehicles before and always thought that it was a good idea for folks who don't want a front and/or rear bumper.

Well you might have to be the guinea pig, but etrailer sells a front receiver hitch for both the 4Runner and FJ Cruiser that is listed as the same part # and it "looks" like it should fit a GX, at least as far as frame moiunting goes, not sure about lower plastic bumper clearance though. It is not listed as fitting the Lexus specifically. But even still, unless you're only expecting to use the vehicle and get stuck in mud and snow, it looks like it would get hung up on stuff more often than you'd use it as a recovery point, even with a lift? Plenty of user review pictures on the etrailer site.

Well you might have to be the guinea pig, but etrailer sells a front receiver hitch for both the 4Runner and FJ Cruiser that is listed as the same part # and it "looks" like it should fit a GX, at least as far as frame moiunting goes, not sure about lower plastic bumper clearance though. It is not listed as fitting the Lexus specifically. But even still, unless you're only expecting to use the vehicle and get stuck in mud and snow, it looks like it would get hung up on stuff more often than you'd use it as a recovery point, even with a lift? Plenty of user review pictures on the etrailer site.

You make some good points that were bouncing around in my head too. A brief search showed the receiver sitting below the bumper. I would need one that goes up where everyone are putting the hidden winch mounts; clearance is bad enough. I also don't think the receivers available would stand up to 6000# of GX high centered on a muddy rock being winched uphill.

Still not against the idea, but it would mean a custom fab. The most realistic route may be to install a hidden winch mount then weld a receiver to it instead of a winch. Getting to the pin would be a headache for sure.

Good thoughts!

S.

Also, if you go down that receiver hitch idea for a winch, be sure you check weights of winches and that they come with synthetic line and go for a fairly light weight winch, not much more than 9500 lb. All this to save your back and storage space when you need to install it.

You make some good points that were bouncing around in my head too. A brief search showed the receiver sitting below the bumper. I would need one that goes up where everyone are putting the hidden winch mounts; clearance is bad enough. I also don't think the receivers available would stand up to 6000# of GX high centered on a muddy rock being winched uphill.

Still not against the idea, but it would mean a custom fab. The most realistic route may be to install a hidden winch mount then weld a receiver to it instead of a winch. Getting to the pin would be a headache for sure.

Good thoughts!

S.
Victory also makes a very stealthy looking front lower bumper for a winch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom