Dobinson Lift Question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve been eyeballing the options from LFD for a winch.

I’ve been eyeballing the options from LFD for a winch.

That is exactly what I'd like to get. I'll have to wait until I can sit down again after this Dobinson's install, but once recovered I'll be ready for the next round and one of those is high on the list.

S.

That is for the 14+ models. Mine is a 2013.

S
Right? Functional, attractive bumpers that increase clearance and approach angle, and also allow the installation of a winch can be counted on one hand for the '10-'13's... :(

Okay, the shop I'm going through have the Dobinsons on order and will schedule me upon arrival of the parts. I'm only getting a 2 inch lift, (I think less in the rear), so I'll not be getting the UCA done at this time although it's on my radar. I'll have to save up a bit again, but they said they recommend 32 inch tires after the install. What is that in terms of those 3 numbers? Like 265/17/70 for example of the format?

That would be a 31.6” tall tire. Use this calculator to figure your tire size.

That would be a 31.6” tall tire. Use this calculator to figure your tire size.

It seems like it's 265 or 30.5 stock, so I assume 275 is around 31.6?

It makes a difference if you’re talking about stock 18” wheels or if you’re moving to 17”. You asked about 265/70/17’s. If you look at the link I posted that’s the size I put in and it said that’s 31.6”.

1643927482432.png

Reactions: r2m
Oh, I'm tracking now lol Those numbers were random so it threw me off. Are there any benefits changing the wheel size from 18 to 17 or staying at 18 or even going up to 19?

Oh, I'm tracking now lol Those numbers were random so it threw me off. Are there any benefits changing the wheel size from 18 to 17 or staying at 18 or even going up to 19?
Presently (this decade or so...) the optimum wheel size would be 17"
Reasons:
  1. Prefer the smallest rim that'll fit over the disk brakes and work on a GX, which is a 17 inch wheel.
  2. And why would I want the smallest wheel diameter? More sidewall flex. When off roading and deflating your tires, the taller your sidewall, the more flex you have for gripping rocks, floating over sand, snow and mud. On washboard roads, especially heavy washboard roads, it is a MUCH smoother ride. It will not rattle your teeth out!
  3. Less likely to pinch a side wall. Low profile tires are notorious for pinching sidewalls, even on something as minor as going up a curb!
  4. Pricing between a 17", 18" or larger for the exact same outside diameter tire, the 17" tire will almost always be cheaper (excluding sales or promotions).
  5. NOTE: that a 285/70R17 will be 32.7", while a 285/70R18 will 33.7" and 285/70R19 will be still and inch larger at 37.7". So just a heads up that the same "metric" size of a tire will produce a different O.D. tire size depending upon rim diameter.
I say this decade, because back in the early 2000's, 1990's and earlier, the optimum wheel diameter used to be 15". That changed when most all vehicles started coming out with disk brakes at all four corners and the brakes kept getting larger in diameter. And who knows if at some point a larger rim may be the de-facto size because of brake diameters getting even larger, or like the Rivian truck that has an electric motor at each wheel, that it MUST have a larger diameter rim to fit over that motor.

Reasons:
  1. Prefer the smallest rim that'll fit over the disk brakes and work on a GX, which is a 17 inch wheel.
  2. And why would I want the smallest wheel diameter? More sidewall flex. When off roading and deflating your tires, the taller your sidewall, the more flex you have for gripping rocks, floating over sand, snow and mud. On washboard roads, especially heavy washboard roads, it is a MUCH smoother ride. It will not rattle your teeth out!
  3. Less likely to pinch a side wall. Low profile tires are notorious for pinching sidewalls, even on something as minor as going up a curb!
  4. Pricing between a 17", 18" or larger for the exact same outside diameter tire, the 17" tire will almost always be cheaper (excluding sales or promotions).
  5. NOTE: that a 285/70R17 will be 32.7", while a 285/70R18 will 33.7" and 285/70R19 will be still and inch larger at 37.7". So just a heads up that the same "metric" size of a tire will produce a different O.D. tire size depending upon rim diameter.
I say this decade, because back in the early 2000's, 1990's and earlier, the optimum wheel diameter used to be 15". That changed when most all vehicles started coming out with disk brakes at all four corners and the brakes kept getting larger in diameter. And who knows if at some point a larger rim may be the de-facto size because of brake diameters getting even larger, or like the Rivian truck that has an electric motor at each wheel, that it MUST have a larger diameter rim to fit over that motor.
This was a big help at making me understand things a bit more. So if I got 2 inch dobinson sus lift, what tire size would be the best with 17 in wheels w/o rub?

The 265 that you were asking about is likely your best bet. You may be able to move up to a 275 with a little rub. But I believe the 285 will certainly rub. Of course, this is all depending on the wheel offset you go with on your wheels. I would go with 0, -10 or -12 so that they don't look sucked under the truck.

Reasons:
17 is smallest wheel we can run.

The 265 that you were asking about is likely your best bet. You may be able to move up to a 275 with a little rub. But I believe the 285 will certainly rub. Of course, this is all depending on the wheel offset you go with on your wheels. I would go with 0, -10 or -12 so that they don't look sucked under the truck.
Yeah, I'll most likely go down to 17 wheels from 18 stock ones and either do 265/275. I know 275 were pretty popular on 4r but maybe not as much for the GX since the stock specs are a bit different...

Also note that the larger the metric size, e.g. 265, 270, 275, etc. and the lower the profile 60, 65, 70, etc. series the wider the tire.
On that note, you can run a taller tire if you keep the tire narrow. A wider tire will wind up rubbing against your inner fender wheels at lock-to-lock, hence some of the guys that post on here use spacers on their wheels, so be aware of the offset of your wheels. You don't your wheels to stick out too far, but you also don't want them way inboard.

One last point, when looking for wheels, you want to get as narrow a wheel as possible, like a 7.5" to 8" wide. The reason is when you air down, you are far less likely to pop your tire bead off the rim. Wide rims, when aired down are far more prone to popping a bead off the rim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom