Do new body mounts help ride comfort? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone installed new body mounts and felt improvement in ride comfort?

My ride is so harsh, it feels like I'm on the Oregon Trail, seriously. Makes me not want to drive it sometimes. No, you can't have it. :p

I've gone from E-rated KO2's back to P-rated Cooper Discoverer AT3s. OEM (Tokiko) shocks. Stock torsion bars and rear springs. I've replaced all control arms front and rear, or at least the bushings (front LCAs). New engine and transmission mounts. New front dif mount bushings. Trying to replace all rubber interfaces between the running gear and the body.

Still, every crack in our horrible roads is felt and heard throughout the truck.

I do have sliders, made sure they are not touching the body, but haven't gone as far as taking them off yet.

The only things left I can think of are body mounts, and/or going back to Michelin all-season tires to see if it helps...

After trying all the above, I currently have Dobinsons front and rear shocks, Dobinsons torsion bars, and OME 865 springs. OEM shocks and torsion bars couldn't really handle the added weight up front. I do have Dissent front and rear aluminum bumpers, winch, and Gamiviti rack.

But before trying body mounts, wanted to know if anyone has actually seen improvement.

Tire pressure set to factory values shown on label near driver's door latch? Good idea getting rid of E-rated tires.

So you're saying I shouldn't bother with control arms... since I'd only do it for the small bump compliance.

Tire pressure set to factory values shown on label near driver's door latch? Good idea getting rid of E-rated tires.
Yes, at or below factory pressures.

So you're saying I shouldn't bother with control arms... since I'd only do it for the small bump compliance.
I won't say not to replace them. Mine were getting worn out after 23 years and I wanted to make sure the joints were transferring as much motion as possible to the shocks/springs. I think it helped, but certainly didn't get me anywhere near factory comfort.

I can't imagine a body mount solving this. I did it on my van just because I was already deep into other stuff and didn't notice any difference after swapping the old ones after 270k miles.
Are they cracked or looks really bad?

You could perhaps check by lifting you body and see if there's any movement when taking the weight off them.

How old are the cooper tires you put back on? were they new ones or old?

I can't imagine a body mount solving this. I did it on my van just because I was already deep into other stuff and didn't notice any difference after swapping the old ones after 270k miles.
Are they cracked or looks really bad?

You could perhaps check by lifting you body and see if there's any movement when taking the weight off them.

How old are the cooper tires you put back on? were they new ones or old?
Tires were new, so apples/oranges comparison. Was just hoping P-metric would have been night and day compared to the E-rated KO2s.

Yeah, I have my doubts about new body mounts really making a difference.

Doubt that's going to fix it for you.

The 100 series has a lot of unsprung weight. If you don't believe me, try to heft a rear axle, and/or remove a front spindle. Cars (not trucks) that ride well have a lot of alloy and lightweight suspension parts to reduce this unsprung weight. Trucks have to (or should, unless they are a Jeep) have a lot more beef.

I love the way my LX rides, but on really beat up choppy crap roads, you can feel every ounce of that weight as the suspension bangs around. You can't hide the effect of all that lard below the springs.

But, the overall ride is vastly superior to my 3rd gen 4Runner, which I drove for 17 years, so I'm still happy. It also rides vastly better than my F350. To the OP: your truck is still a truck... and will ride like one. It sure looks like you have done all the right things so far.

Ride quality impressions are very subjective, IMO. For example, I’m on 285/75r16 KO2’s with ARB and winch up front, lightly loaded cargo drawers in the rear. OME 2865 rear springs and OEM torsion bars and shocks. I find the ride to be very comfortable and compliant and far better than any other 4x4 I’ve got experience with, including a 2021 TRD Off-Road Tacoma.

That said, if you’re coming from the world of unibody sedans or crossovers, a body on frame, heavy 4x4 like the 100 is never going to compare to what you’re used to. I only say that OP, because I have no idea what your background is and how much experience you have with similar vehicles.

From your description I think it’s possible you’re over sprung in the front or your front is cranked up too high. Both will cause harsh ride characteristics. As I mentioned above I’m running stock torsion bars and shocks with an ARB and winch and I’m fine with it. I only lifted my front a little over 1” however, and haven’t tried to level my truck when empty as many try to do. The aluminum Dissent with which will definitely be lighter than my setup. Combine that with HD torsion bars, especially if they’re cranked up and you could end up with a harsh ride. **that’s a lot of supposing and guessing on my part, but just offering food for thought**

I have been wondering this exact same thing
Has anyone installed new body mounts and felt improvement in ride comfort?

My ride is so harsh, it feels like I'm on the Oregon Trail, seriously. Makes me not want to drive it sometimes. No, you can't have it. :p

I've gone from E-rated KO2's back to P-rated Cooper Discoverer AT3s. OEM (Tokiko) shocks. Stock torsion bars and rear springs. I've replaced all control arms front and rear, or at least the bushings (front LCAs). New engine and transmission mounts. New front dif mount bushings. Trying to replace all rubber interfaces between the running gear and the body.

Still, every crack in our horrible roads is felt and heard throughout the truck.

I do have sliders, made sure they are not touching the body, but haven't gone as far as taking them off yet.

The only things left I can think of are body mounts, and/or going back to Michelin all-season tires to see if it helps...

After trying all the above, I currently have Dobinsons front and rear shocks, Dobinsons torsion bars, and OME 865 springs. OEM shocks and torsion bars couldn't really handle the added weight up front. I do have Dissent front and rear aluminum bumpers, winch, and Gamiviti rack.

But before trying body mounts, wanted to know if anyone has actually seen improvement.
I have this exact same issue. I have replaced every bushing except the body mounts and although there have been some marginal improvements I have this small bump compliance issue. The Movement in the vehicle while going over bumps just seems out of proportion and I also have a tundra and 200 and understand what a body on frame vehicle drives like. I already bought the body mounts from partsouq and plan on going through them at some point but after all the time and money I have spent trying to figure this out I have little hope this will finally solve it.

OP…try adding MORE weight to the rig and drive it around some to see if it helps the ride feel better?

I'd agree, the average mud lclx owner has drastically adjusted corner balance in the extreme without regard.

good thread here, I say good minus the stfu items. forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-series-measured-weight.877654/

Last edited:
Most of mine sets are the Michelin Defender LTX MS. They're a very comfortable rid.e
But, I've a set of Yokohama Geollandar A/T Go15 275/60R18 113H. Even a better feel.

Last edited:
Dump the Coopers and Go to a Michelin Defender LTX MS.
I bought a set of these in 33" to keep miles off of my 35x12.50s

One of the best ideas I've ever had. They're fantastic.

OP, ball joints and sway link bushings can also contribute to harsh ride feelings. My truck has also had everything replaced, but realizing recently that my BJs were shot was super helpful as replacing them (after 100k) did wonders.

Tires were new, so apples/oranges comparison. Was just hoping P-metric would have been night and day compared to the E-rated KO2s.

Yeah, I have my doubts about new body mounts really making a difference.
I really think you should try swapping them out. Take a lot of pictures and let us know if it's worth doing. 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom