DO NEGLECT THE $5 DUST COVER (also need some advice) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With timing off, cylinder and exhaust port & CATs, loads up with unspent fuel. This will sometimes set off an O2 or CAT DTC. After driving around in normal lower RPM (city driving), to dry CATs. Running on HWY in lower gear at high RPM ~4,500 to 4,800 RPM for 5 to 7 minutes, than back off to normal cruise. Will burn off gunk. It's like turning and oven to clean. ;)

With timing off, cylinder and exhaust port & CATs, loads up with unspent fuel. This will sometimes set off an O2 or CAT DTC. After driving around in normal lower RPM (city driving), to dry CATs. Running on HWY in lower gear at high RPM ~4,500 to 4,800 RPM for 5 to 7 minutes, than back off to normal cruise. Will burn off gunk. It's like turning and oven to clean. ;)

^^^^

Then have the Wife do it! :)

.. I've been driving it to work to prove to the wife its not going to blow up.
Isn't it sad we all have to constantly prove to our wives that our trucks won't blow up after we work on them? Or is it just me?

In all seriousness im glad you got it running again! :banana:

I wouldn't bother with the oil sample if only to address the white smoke. You have no worries there. That is classic un-burned fuel reaction.

Once it has cleared and the engine has 'relearned' idle (assuming you had disconnected the battery at some point) you should be running fine. So IF you want to put off an oil sample diagnosis until later.....you'll be just fine.

Good work!

Important part though.....right?

View attachment 2600963
Is it still worth changing the oil?

Yes! It has been sitting in the box from McGeorge Toyota for over a year, and I finally put it in there like I should have done last time.

Last edited:
A pseudo Italian tune-up?

Isn't it sad we all have to constantly prove to our wives that our trucks won't blow up after we work on them? Or is it just me?

I've been married to mine for 37 years now....and in that time I've rebuilt engines, transmissions, axles, differentials, etc. etc....on various vehicles and Farm Equipment.

None have failed....yet she still 'reserves the right' to WORRY about them it seems.

With my Wife....it isn't so much a matter of not trusting my work. It's more of a 'You First' approach. Sheesh.......Thanks a lot Dear!

Last edited:
Is it still worth changing the oil?

Yes! It has been sitting in the box from McGeorge Toyota for over a year, and I finally put it in there like I should have done last time.
Never hurts to change the oil. Liquid fuel in cylinders can make its way past rings into the crankcase.

Never hurts to change the oil. Liquid fuel in cylinders can make its way past rings into the crankcase.

Yes, but it takes a LOT of fuel to dilute 7 qts of oil enough to be of any concern. A stuck injector can do that.

Any fuel from a failure to 'start' scenario would rarely cause a concern since it is largely being expelled from the cylinder on the exhaust stroke.

Where it collects is in the Exhaust Pipes, Cats and Muffler. The concern about fuel (unburned) in a cylinder is not so much about oil contamination as it is 'Washing' the cylinder wall of residual oil that lubricates the rings upon start up

I agree that IF it makes the OP feel better changing the oil, then do it. But the white smoke was a product of fuel in the exhaust system where it can not burn off (in a hot state). An abundance of fuel in a cylinder (compressed and ignited) is 'rich' and forms black smoke.

I don't know what's more amazing the 2UZ-FE engine or the wealth of knowledge on IH8MUD. I swear the collective knowledge on this forum is probably more than Toyota knows about their own cars. I just read through @2001LC thread about resurrecting a truck after a bad timing belt job (cam shaft sprocket torque/insert issue) and the smoke he had at start up was just like mine. I have a trip planned next weekend, plus Easter so I'll probably go ahead and change the oil for ease of mind.

Ok, I hate mice sooooo much. I found mouse droppings INSIDE the car. How would a mouse get inside? any ideas? I'm not a fan of the coyote piss method (lol) but someone had posted a mint spray or something to keep mice out I might try that. Don't know if this is the same mice and that were brutally killed in the timing belt so I'll probably have to put some traps in the truck each night...which is pretty annoying. If I dont get any after a week I guess I'll asume theyre all ded.

Ok, I hate mice sooooo much. I found mouse droppings INSIDE the car. How would a mouse get inside? any ideas? I'm not a fan of the coyote piss method (lol) but someone had posted a mint spray or something to keep mice out I might try that. Don't know if this is the same mice and that were brutally killed in the timing belt so I'll probably have to put some traps in the truck each night...which is pretty annoying. If I dont get any after a week I guess I'll asume theyre all ded.

Usually, they get into the cab via the air intake for the heater box under where the windshield wiper armature is located. This is why we so often find nests in the hfm wheel with mummified mouse fams.

Last edited:
Ok, I hate mice sooooo much.
mm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom