DO NEGLECT THE $5 DUST COVER (also need some advice) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, as some may know the 500K mile Tiki Cruiser would not start this weekend. Or rather, it started up and almost immediately shut off and then would only crank/no-start. After multiple tests and rabbits holes chased after 6+ hours of reading threads on my mud. I took the off the passenger side timing belt cover and this is what I found....
IMG-6157.jpg

Yes, that a mouse... or used to be. We had a very cold night Friday into Saturday and I had been driving the car all day. Almost exactly a year ago I did the timing belt and water pump and found that the truck was missing the smaller dust cover. I had heard stories about stuff like this, and thought what are the odds of that happening. I ordered the dust cover but it took forever to ship and I needed the car so I buttoned it up and moved on. I recently kicked the mice out of my garage and now I where they moved too.

Anyways, so here's the question: what should be replaced (or what should I have on hand to replace) in this scenario?

I feel likes there a good chance the belt is fine, but probably best to replace it. Waterpump should be fine right? Could crank/cam position sensor have gotten damaged in this process?

I'm considering ordering just a timing belt from Toyota and to have crank/cam position sensors on hand in case they're damaged and I'll return them if they're un scathed. I think the water pump should be just fine....but maybe I should grab the Aisin kit just in case and really take of advantage of free returns.

Dang. If it were me I would inspect the belt and if it looks good just retime the engine and reinstall the belt.

I live in the mountains and the only way I have found to keep rodents out is to have outside cats.

Dang. If it were me I would inspect the belt and if it looks good just retime the engine and reinstall the belt.

I live in the mountains and the only way I have found to keep rodents out is to have outside cats.
Yeah I'm at the edge of the mountains in the valley, and next to a cattle field and an orchard. Every winter I have a problem with them. HATE cats, but really considering a barn cat. I think going to do this.
Glad you found the problem!!
If you're in there anyways why not slap a new Tbelt on it?
Because its less than a year old.

Aisin kit says 1 day shipping, if I end up deciding I don't need it I'll return it.

Yeah I'm at the edge of the mountains in the valley, and next to a cattle field and an orchard. Every winter I have a problem with them. HATE cats, but really considering a barn cat. I think going to do this.

I hate them too. The three I have do a great job keeping the rodents down though.

Female cats seem to be the best hunters. A lot of cities will sterilize feral cats and give them away free.

So super awesome that you figured out the issue. I recommend replacing the TB, it is a little bit of money and it sucks that it is nearly new but it is worth the time you are going to spend on it and peace of mind.
As for rodent problem, that small cover will definitely go a long way, but may I suggest periodically dousing your engine bay in mint based rodent repellent sprays? They seem to deter some species well. Also, Honda makes a tape that you can wrap around wires etc. in the engine bay that is reported to work well as a deterrent.

God speed!

So, as some may know the 500K mile Tiki Cruiser would not start this weekend. Or rather, it started up and almost immediately shut off and then would only crank/no-start. After multiple tests and rabbits holes chased after 6+ hours of reading threads on my mud. I took the off the passenger side timing belt cover and this is what I found....
View attachment 2594847
Yes, that a mouse... or used to be. We had a very cold night Friday into Saturday and I had been driving the car all day. Almost exactly a year ago I did the timing belt and water pump and found that the truck was missing the smaller dust cover. I had heard stories about stuff like this, and thought what are the odds of that happening. I ordered the dust cover but it took forever to ship and I needed the car so I buttoned it up and moved on. I recently kicked the mice out of my garage and now I where they moved too.

Anyways, so here's the question: what should be replaced (or what should I have on hand to replace) in this scenario?

I feel likes there a good chance the belt is fine, but probably best to replace it. Waterpump should be fine right? Could crank/cam position sensor have gotten damaged in this process?

I'm considering ordering just a timing belt from Toyota and to have crank/cam position sensors on hand in case they're damaged and I'll return them if they're un scathed. I think the water pump should be just fine....but maybe I should grab the Aisin kit just in case and really take of advantage of free returns.
isn't that a piece of the belt showing in the middle of the picture? I certainly wouldn't gamble on reusing it even if it isn't snapped. Have you found other damage (chewed wires, etc)?

isn't that a piece of the belt showing in the middle of the picture? I certainly wouldn't gamble on reusing it even if it isn't snapped. Have you found other damage (chewed wires, etc)?
No lol that a mouse that has been pancaked flat and has a perfect impression of the ribs of the belt on him. Not finished going through everything so I haven't looked at all the wires yet.

This really is the best way to keep the rodents at bay. I just wish I could keep the garage cats around though. They keep getting picked off by larger predators. Wife says I can't get anymore as we are just feeding the predators. 😏

No lol that a mouse that has been pancaked flat and has a perfect impression of the ribs of the belt on him. Not finished going through everything so I haven't looked at all the wires yet.

Yeah that 'treadmill' is a little too fast for a mouse.

Cam position sensor wire might have been 'gnawed on' too, so you won't really know that until you get the front cover off on the Driver's side to inspect. That would cause a no start condition.

Mouse musta thought "that tickles" before the gears hoovered it up and crushed

This is what I found in a friend’s Tacoma air box last week. There’s a family of six in there.

View attachment 2595155

In-Laws Sequoia had a similar mess. They don't drive it very often and live out in the country....so mice are always an issue.

Spent last night picking mouse bones out the area...very gross. Timing was incredibly messed up, camshaft sensor looks good but the wires is frayed so I'm thinking I'll replace the pigtail.

Things we do to keep our cruisers going!
BTW, the thread title seems to be the opposite of what it should!

Things we do to keep our cruisers going!
BTW, the thread title seems to be the opposite of what it should!
Yes, I haven't worked on this thing mechanically in a while (like a months lol) it seems like its actively trying to kill itself.

And yes, I totally botched the thread title, it was supposed to say DO NOT and now I can figure out how to change it.

Just use the drop down menu on the top right corner (example below):
1614262585386.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom