Do my teeth look ok? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks,
The starter on 64 FST does not engage the flywheel 100% of the time. Approximately 60% of the time the starter grinds and I have to retry until the gear engages the flywheel and she starts. I would like to sort this out and keep my original starter so all help appreciated.

I pulled the started to confirm that the pinion slides easily on the shaft and it does. What I did notice is that the front of my pinion teeth are EITHER worn or machined down. IF worn, is this my issue? Any other ideas folks?

Of course I included a pic ;)

starterteeth.jpg

Those look worn to me. Notice how the surfaces of the gear teeth where the look deformed by hard strikes? Those little deformations (where they "mushroom" out) are likely preventing a decent mesh and causing the hard-start symptoms. Those deformations also make me think that you are not looking at a machined surface. I don't know whether you can buy a new gear or flip that gear around, but those two options are most likely to extend the life of the starter.

Check your flywheel for worn or chipped teeth before you put anything back together.

Thanks guys, was hoping someone had an old starter laying around they could compare to.

My flywheel looks perfect.

Chris

They do not look that bad. I would pull the starter apart and clean and grease it, especially the parts that slide the gear. Mine did the same thing, and look similar to yours. After a good cleaning and lube it works 100% of the time now. Looking at the paint inside on the gears and shaft it might just not be sliding every time.

This is not a 64 starter, but this is what I think your teeth should look like-square, not chopped off.
IMG_0282.jpg

The wear, on the engagement end of the gear, is the result not the cause of the problem. A thorough cleaning and lube will probably resolve the issue. Good luck.

Is the flywheel damaged as well? I'm dealing with this issue right now. My 40 starts just like you describe. After trying a couple starters, I looked at the flywheel... A few missing teeth.

IMG_20111010_203836.jpg
IMG_20111010_203851.jpg

Here are the pics of the starter on my 66. Maybe original. If someone can correct me, please do.

Notice the teeth are also a little worn on mine, just less-so than yours. Like others have stated earlier, I think cleaning and re-lubing the parts might help.

Something to check other than what has already been stated: What is the condition of the electrical system? Does the battery have plenty of life in it? Are the grounds good? Corrosion? A low-current situation could have trouble throwing the gear all the way out.

i had the same problem....i went threw 2 starters and was about to replace the flywheel and some one sugested shimming the starter. starter engages fine every time now :)

Try taking a dremel and putting some taper on those teeth and it will probably be just fine.

Best

Mark A.

i had the same problem....i went threw 2 starters and was about to replace the flywheel and some one sugested shimming the starter. starter engages fine every time now :)

What engine are you running?

Regardless of engine, if there is damage to the pendix cog, there might be damage to the flywheel

Heirloom,
Thanks for the pics, your teeth look much nicer then mine! I can pull apart and lub up the starter, but man oh man things seem to move around very smoothly currently. Perhaps pulling it apart will show potential other issues with the bendix.

BTW, Battery is good to go, cranks great when she engages.

Mark, thanks for advice, when I pull apart I will clean up the teeth a bit.

ericsid/all, how would shimming the starter AWAY from the flywheel help it engage?

Miy setup is original 1F.

Chris

Second try:

What engine are you running?

i have a sbc ...i guess it may be different on other engines but my starter is attached with 2 bolts...one on each side of starter. if you shim the outer bolt it brings the gear closer to the flywheel....like i said may be different on toyota engine but i thought id throw it out there :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom