Do I NEED Front and Rear Lockers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like others have said, do you NEED one? No. Get out on the trails and practice, practice, practice. Engage the rear locker for the kinky stuff. Stuck? Use the winch.

If you have to ask and have someone hold your hand to make this decision than the answer is no. Would you even be brave enough to tackle trails that would require f & r lockers without your momma encouraging you.

Haha, just messing around with ya.....

In all seriousness, coming from an economic point of view you should throw them in. Like the saying goes, it is better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.

For reference my last 80 had an auto locker only in the rear and open front. My current 80 has selectable front and rear. It made a really big difference. This is my first rig with a locker in the front and rear and I have been really impressed with the difference. I really like them when driving up really steep loose stuff. Much more control and less butt hole pucker factor.

I had the XJ with a lunch box auto locker in the rear. It did awesome on the trails. It was fun in the snow on a quiet street or parking lot. It was a white knuckle driving on icy / snow pack winding mountain roads. Just for the snow pack winding road factor, I'm doing selectable rears from now on.

My 4500 Ultra4 car has a auto locker in the rear and a selectable one in the front. Now I only use the front ~5% of the time if that but when I need it, IT is there, then I turn it off. Do I need it, yes at times but it sure is nice knowing it is there when I do. Great thing about selectable, you can turn it on and off as needed.

All this back and forth. It was a simple question and the mud answer always demands it should be "yes". I feel like this is in the rules somewhere under "enabling"

I've been enjoying locked front, unlocked rear lately

I know, heresy right?

Just remember that with a rear auto locker you can have some issues with the rear axle pulling you off the road. In 4 years of wheeling my 91 this was only an issue twice.

Once I was trying to get up a paved road covered in a foot of fresh snow. The road was steep and cambered torward the inside ditch. The rear auto locker kept pulling my rear end right into the ditch. I couldn't make it to the lake that day and no ice fishing.

Second time was basically the same situation but the road was a muddy two track. Still made it up this one and enjoyed a weekend of spring turkey hunting.

In both these scenarios the road cambered into the good side of the road. I would hate to be in a similar situation on a road that cambered to a drop off or steep slope. Imagine that instead of the rear end pulling the rig into a ditch it would pull the rig off a cliff or down a steep hill.

This is the only disadvantage that I experienced with a rear auto locker in my 80. It never popped, banged, snapped, or broke any components.

All this back and forth. It was a simple question and the mud answer always demands it should be "yes". I feel like this is in the rules somewhere under "enabling"

Nah,

Friends don't let friends drive unlocked. ;)

Yes, because it saves time.

I've been enjoying locked front, unlocked rear lately

I know, heresy right?
No, not really.

I've been to places where that setting works really, really well. Situations where you don't want the rear to push the truck, and at the same time you don't want a front wheel to spin. That's why my ARBs are wired to be operated independently.

Front locker debates are always interesting. From my experience, I'd say get one, and never look back. I haven't.

Last edited:
I've been to places where that setting works really, really well. Situations where you don't want the rear to push the truck, and at the same time you don't want a front wheel to spin. That's why my ARBs are wired to be operated independently.

agreed 100%, especially on the east where it can be wet and the rear pushing can completely point the truck the wrong direction. I'm never going back to mechanical rear locker in a wagon.

You live in CO.
You drive in snow.
You need selectable lockers F&R

The confidence it gives you to go into a situation with them unlocked, gives you the option to get out by locking them.

Another old truck I had had LS F&R and I never got that truck stuck and I went through a lot of deep snow and mud. Mind you, I wasn't stupid about what I jumped into, but I knew I could get out.

I find that driving with the center diff on in the snow helps a lot but I'm also in NC and we rarely get snow.

Selectable lockers are the way to go and while I don't use them that often, it gives me confidence that I have the switch to engage all four wheels.

I regear'ed and did a full axle job at the same time and really glad I did.

...the guy from NE who went 4x4 in CO and looked at the first rocky incline and locked both front and rear would say they are mandatory...
I'd say selectable if you're going to get them. I travel far more time in snow and ice than I ever do on trails where a locker _might_ be needed. Who wants squirrelly in the snow?

Then again, I've wheeled in Colorado since the 70s and never found a reason to need a locker, really not even a reason to take a different line that a locker could've saved me from...with the exception of Holy Cross City, and then you know you're looking for trouble. And that was mostly in non-Land Cruiser vehicles. The 80 that is current is the most capable truck I've ever had so when I do get back out there, I doubt I'll feel any inadequacies from lacking lockers -- except maybe from that dang auto transmission.

I suspect people who have l;ockers use them. They should, because letting them sit unused isn't good for them. But needing lockers? It's as much a matter of perception as need for most.

If you are not going to crawl then there is no point in the expense of the front locker. You have a winch so if you do get stuck then you have an out.

Mine has F/R lockers. I crawl. I use the front locker maybe, maybe, 2% of the time crawling. There have been times I have used the front to get me though and there are times I was still stuck. Coyote Lake kicked my butt a couple times recently and had to winch. The winch is there to get you out. So if you don't plan to crawl why spend the money?

If you are not going to crawl then there is no point in the expense of the front locker. You have a winch so if you do get stuck then you have an out.

I suppose some folks fancy that Rock Crawling is ALL of 4-wheeling.

I'm guessing you've never been in East Texas mud (or other places in the Deep South)? You'd be happy to have ALL four wheels pulling, and NO a winch isn't always the answer (though no decent 4wd drive vehicle down here is without one).

We have all kinds of terrain and conditions where being fully locked is a huge benefit or would even be the determining factor whether or not you made it through. I'm sure this is true of many other places as well....where they don't 'Crawl'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom