DIY: Telescoping Column Motor Removal/Repair (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On my 2005 Toyota HDJ-100, I was able to fully repair both electrical motors. You have to open them carefully, remove dust and metal scratches. I put WD40 lubricant on the metal to metal friction.
Also you need to clean an grease the telescopic mechanism on the steering, I decided to remove the 2 springs that add constraint on the mechanism.

SébM from France

IMG_20210411_152946010.jpg

IMG_20210411_160930289.jpg

IMG_20210411_161106837.jpg

On my 2005 Toyota HDJ-100, I was able to fully repair both electrical motors. You have to open them carefully, remove dust and metal scratches. I put WD40 lubricant on the metal to metal friction.
Also you need to clean an grease the telescopic mechanism on the steering, I decided to remove the 2 springs that add constraint on the mechanism.

SébM from France

View attachment 2642905

View attachment 2642906

View attachment 2642907
Every time I have done this (opening and cleaning) they fail again in weeks or months. Let use know how long this works for you?

Every time I have done this (opening and cleaning) they fail again in weeks or months. Let use know how long this works for you?
It's a good idea, then, to turn off the automatic 'up-and-away', and use the adjustment only when you have to. The motors might keep for a long time if they have to work only for half a minute each year.
I turned off the auto function many years ago, and the motors are still good.

Just as long as used periodically.

I've seem some that didn't work, from lack of use. Once I jumped with 12v direct, with motor out (freed from drive assembly). They than worked reluctantly. As I use motor more and more they began working all the time. Like all buttons on the 100 series. use it or lose it.

Just as long as used periodically.

I've seem some that didn't work, from lack of use. Once I jumped with 12v direct, with motor out (freed from drive assembly). They than worked reluctantly. As I use motor more and more they began working all the time. Like all buttons on the 100 series. use it or lose it.
Can you provide details on the 12v direct methedology (what pins/locations, etc)?

Only fsm method I saw was to move working motor connector (in my case tilt) to non working motor (my case extension) to se if that solved the problem. I don't want to mess w. my working tilt.

Thanks in advance!

No that you mention FSM method, it is what I used (been a couple of years). Pulled it out, so it was not loaded (connected to gearing) plug into tilt and found it worked. Plugged back in it's wire block, it didn't work at first, than did. Reinstalled did not work at first, kept working switch time and time again before worked every time.

I had extra new motor with me. Found switched worked fine with it.

I've done 3 of these of the years. First I clean inside of motor, which just failed again, installed new. 2nd just installed new as I could not get motor to run on tilt wire/sw. Third just needed excising.

Some of the guys around mud. Are really good at reading wire diagrams and have them. I'm sure they could give the HOT and ground.

Not really, but like I said it's been a few years since last one I did. Often I find, "mud step by step instruction" has us taking off to much. Just remove what you must. It's not a difficult job at all. As always take pictures as you go. Then you can look back at during assembly.

I suspect if you've had set to auto, motor is worn out. Doesn't hurt to try jumping or opening and cleaning first. You can always come back and install new later. It's just time and you'll find easier second time. If you've not had set to auto and not using, it may just need exercising.

Posting to add some notes on the indexing of the telescoping motor to the telescoping column. Previous posts have mentioned driving the motor to full extension while detached from the column, manually pulling the column to full extension, and then attaching the two together. Based on a problem I just fixed on my LX I think the second step should be modified slightly so that after you pull the column to full extension and align the sleeve to the column, you move the sleeve in by 1 full rotation of the sleeve on the lead screw and then move the column in to match before you attach them together, so that it will never hit the mechanical limit.

I discovered this while trying to fix a problem that the PO had mentioned, where the key gets stuck in the ignition and won't turn if the steering column is at maximum extension. I finally dug into it this weekend, and found that someone had done some work on the column and reassembled it so that it was being driven to the mechanical limit at maximum extension, and this is what was making the key stick (maybe through the steering wheel lock?). The repair manual also shows that the operation range should not extend to the mechanical limits (see pic), so I marked the mechanical limits and then ran the telescope in and out using the motor and made sure there was margin on both ends of the range.

Anyway, glad to have this annoyance fixed and hope somebody finds this useful.

Telescopic Range.png

Posting to add some notes on the indexing of the telescoping motor to the telescoping column. Previous posts have mentioned driving the motor to full extension while detached from the column, manually pulling the column to full extension, and then attaching the two together. Based on a problem I just fixed on my LX I think the second step should be modified slightly so that after you pull the column to full extension and align the sleeve to the column, you move the sleeve in by 1 full rotation of the sleeve on the lead screw and then move the column in to match before you attach them together, so that it will never hit the mechanical limit.

I discovered this while trying to fix a problem that the PO had mentioned, where the key gets stuck in the ignition and won't turn if the steering column is at maximum extension. I finally dug into it this weekend, and found that someone had done some work on the column and reassembled it so that it was being driven to the mechanical limit at maximum extension, and this is what was making the key stick (maybe through the steering wheel lock?). The repair manual also shows that the operation range should not extend to the mechanical limits (see pic), so I marked the mechanical limits and then ran the telescope in and out using the motor and made sure there was margin on both ends of the range.

Anyway, glad to have this annoyance fixed and hope somebody finds this useful.

View attachment 2689642

I manually adjusted my telescoping steering wheel to the position I wanted, but it will not lock after putting everything back together. What part secures the steering?

I manually adjusted my telescoping steering wheel to the position I wanted, but it will not lock after putting everything back together. What part secures the steering?
1627391775262.png

As long as the motor and the screw are in place, the telescoping is secured and will not move. Have you removed or disconnected some part?

I have ran into a similar issue with the telescoping motor not working. As detailed in this thread I pulled everything apart looking for a fix. Reinstalled the same motor and it worked just fine without being attached to the steering column. Ran in and out without issue, but there was no load the motor was trying to push or pull.

My question is, can the motors fatigue before they stop working? Or do I have some another issue on my hands? I am able to push and pull the steering wheel manually (with some pressure), and have lubed the portion of the column that extends/retracts into the collar.

Just looking for some insight before I purchase parts I don't need to buy. Thanks in advance for any thoughts here.

I had the dealership disable the auto telescoping/tilt function to save the motors. Mine was starting to strain and show its age (telescoping portion). The tilt works fine on mine.

I have ran into a similar issue with the telescoping motor not working. As detailed in this thread I pulled everything apart looking for a fix. Reinstalled the same motor and it worked just fine without being attached to the steering column. Ran in and out without issue, but there was no load the motor was trying to push or pull.

My question is, can the motors fatigue before they stop working? Or do I have some another issue on my hands? I am able to push and pull the steering wheel manually (with some pressure), and have lubed the portion of the column that extends/retracts into the collar.

Just looking for some insight before I purchase parts I don't need to buy. Thanks in advance for any thoughts here.
Yes the motor looses some conductivity over time and torque diminishes. Mine did the same thing- not enough power to activate the steering column but would run on the bench.

Replace it if it’s an important feature for you. If it’s just you as the driver, you can manually adjust and set the telescopic function- you’ll have to remove all the covers around the steering wheel and loosen the hardware connecting to the motor- pull up or push down to where you want it and tighten back down.

I read this thread and decided that while the tele/tilt function is pretty cool- I really do not need it. To save me a future motor replacement I decided to use TechStream to turn this function off.

I have version 12.20.024 which is the normal thread download. I pulled up the ECU page and highlighted the tele/tilt ECU to be able to control it and it says that I cannot communicate with this ECU.

Is there a step with this version of TS that I am missing-- like picking "programming ECUs" or do I need a later version of TS?

One thing that is strange is that for the first time TS was not able to quiz my main ECU to fill in the data blocks on the first page that comes up after connecting to vehicle prompt -- blank VIN and vehicle blocks. I had to manually put in Lexus, LX470, 2005.

I doubt this has anything to do with why I cannot speak to the tele/tilt ECU.

Has anyone turned off the tele/tilt function using TS version 12.20.024 and can walk me through the steps that they used?

Thanks in advance.

Edit 1--- I finally got the TS to recognize my Lexus and fill in all of the data. When it did that I was able to call up the tele/tilt ECU and found my way to the page that shows that my T/T function is ON. I can actively test it and even set the parameters for speed and such-- but I do not know the way to turn it to the OFF position.

I highlight the line but I see no toggle button. I am close but so far no cigar.

Edit 2-- With help from @Owner CS, I was able to toggle off by highlighting T/T and then highlighting the "Customize Settings" button.

Last edited:
WOW! Great write up. Just in time for my rig.

The telescoping feature on my '99 LX 470 just stopped working. No slowing down, no noise...just stopped and it's all the way in...bummer! Is there a fuse or common connection point failure to check before jumping in? If not, how do I get in touch with CDan to order a replacement motor?
My telescoping movement stopped as well, just following up about the fuse question..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom