Disk brake swap with a twist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, this has been covered, but want a gut check.

I have a 1969 FJ40

I'm gonna run spring under(high steer not needed), wanna keep it close to "original" looking as possible, but be be able to run longs. so here is my thought..

1. 79-85 Mini truck axle, salvage complete outters and the birfs.
2. 79-84 cruiser steering arms...to my understanding they have the larger bolt pattern, and fit mini knuckles. In addition compatible with my tie rod ends?
3. stainless braided lines with port/valve

question...I know the vented rotors are an up grade, cant I just use all of the mini stuff to save a nickel? My thought is any disk is better then my drums..

additional thoughts...still sticking with manual steering for now, (yes crazy)

Last edited:
My thought is any disk is better then my drums..

careful you'll get the drum lovers all fired up

Here comes the rain

First of all what do you currently have?

Hi All:

Ah, why not just buy a 1979-84 40/45 Series front axle, and be done with it, instead of all this mixing and matching? :rolleyes:

Regards,

Alan

Ok, this has been covered, but want a gut check.

I have a 1969 FJ40

I'm gonna run spring under(high steer not needed), wanna keep it close to "original" looking as possible, but be be able to run longs. so here is my thought..

1. 79-85 Mini truck axle, salvage complete outters and the birfs.
2. 79-84 cruiser steering arms...to my understanding they have the larger bolt pattern, and fit mini knuckles. In addition compatible with my tie rod ends?
3. stainless braided lines with port/valve

question...I know the vented rotors are an up grade, cant I just use all of the mini stuff to save a nickel? My thought is any disk is better then my drums..

additional thoughts...still sticking with manual steering for now, (yes crazy)

I would have been one of those drops of rain saying that as long as your drums brakes were adjusted correctly, they stop just as good as discs.

Well....I got tired of the constant readjusting. And after a recent brake stab (caused by an idiot that didn't obey a stop sign) that shot me into the other lane, I decided it was time for a change and did the swap. The donor axle had the solid rotors. I figured I'd give them a go and if I didn't like them I could get the vented ones later. I'm happy with the solid ones and I'll keep them.

Trying to save a nickel and own a 40??? Ain't gonna happen!

Cam, that's some funny chit. Can I used that quote somtime? You and I think alike.

Come on dawg you ain't even gotta ask

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom