Discount Tire - why is it so difficult? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This may have come up before, but has anyone else encountered the fact that when ordering online - 1) discount tire does not recognize (for example) a '1979' or '1981' Toyota Land Cruiser and 2) will not allow you to buy tires unless it matches the OEM size/type spec within their system? I decided not to call them to discuss because I assume I will get the same push back.

I was trying to buy (on sale) a set of 33x10.5 BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 and literally could not complete the purchase (they will not allow you to buy online without a match)....and this is after 30 mins of picking other vehicles that use the 33x10.5 size for OEM spec - just to buy them and have mounted on a set of Toyota 15" wheels.

This is just crazy....is there a workaround here? I am not even sure if I walk into a local Discount Tire and just buy them and then bring back my wheels to have mounted - will they decline the mounting? I may start to look at other vendors who can simply sell me these tire.

DT2.JPG

DT3.JPG

This may have come up before, but has anyone else encountered the fact that when ordering online - 1) discount tire does not recognize (for example) a '1979' or '1981' Toyota Land Cruiser and 2) will not allow you to buy tires unless it matches the OEM size/type spec within their system? I decided not to call them to discuss because I assume I will get the same push back.

I was trying to buy (on sale) a set of 33x10.5 BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 and literally could not complete the purchase (they will not allow you to buy online without a match)....and this is after 30 mins of picking other vehicles that use the 33x10.5 size for OEM spec - just to buy them and have mounted on a set of Toyota 15" wheels.

This is just crazy....is there a workaround here? I am not even sure if I walk into a local Discount Tire and just buy them and then bring back my wheels to have mounted - will they decline the mounting? I may start to look at other vendors who can simply sell me these tire.

View attachment 3006755

View attachment 3006756

Use the shop by size tab instead of vehicle tab.

Yea, I just tried the shop by size, then click “continue without vehicle”, if you already have one saved and it worked for me
I tried that and didnt work last week. Lemme try again. Maybe user error here...

Yea, I just tried the shop by size, then click “continue without vehicle”, if you already have one saved and it worked for me
Nope - wont work. Cant save a 1981 Toyota Land Cruiser because they dont recognize Toyota for anything older than 1985....and there is no way to continue to purchase without entering in your vehicle year/make/model - which again, you cant because they dont have that year/make in their system. Its when you are trying to check out that you get c0ck blocked. Going to Tire Rack....

I used the 1986 Land Cruiser option.

I used the 1986 Land Cruiser option.
Nope - cant do that because they are forcing you to pick the OEM size and tire spec....see screen grab. There is no option to say "I understand OEM tire spec but I want the ones I picked"....

DT4.JPG

DT5.JPG

Well crap. I was thinking of Tire Rack; I just did this yesterday.

Its too bad....and hey, @Tirerack , I am going to your competition now because you literally make it impossible to buy online.

Just switched to my other phone and it works as it always.

Screenshot_20220512-083943_Chrome.jpg

I believe I may have found your problem. Is there a store selected based on your location? That was auto filled on the other phone I used because "location" is turned on on that phone. That's also why taxes are included in the price without my shipping address added yet.

The screen shot above doesn't have a store selected and no taxes added yet.

Related but maybe not: I was a stalwart disciple of Discount Tire purchasing every tire for our own vehicles, Land Cruiser included of course, as well as recommending them to any and all friends, family, etc., for a dozen years or more. That all changed a couple years ago. They've gone from 5-star service to 0-star service.

I'll spare you the long story...but complaints to corporate in Arizona just get relayed back to the store manager. That's akin to having complaints about the Fox in the Hen house getting forwarded back to the fox: WTF? They truly have a "I don't give a s*** about you" anymore. They just got too big and have lost sight of what made them...big. Such a familiar story.

Recently purchased a set of General Grabber X3 tires for the 100 from WalMart(!!!) of all places. Bought them online and had them installed at the WalMart here in Carson City. $15/tire lifetime unconditional tire warranty, balanced perfectly(!) the first time and had a buying & install experience that rivaled the best days of Discount Tire. Yeah, I know: WalMart?! I must be dreaming...but its true. Love the tires so far too!

Carry on.

I've actually never been to a Discount Tire. Only bought from the website. I get my tires mounted by a independent shop in town that doesn't care if you bring tires in that you bought elsewhere.

Discount does 95% of the tire business that I need. For the other 5%, I use my local Big O tire store or Roberts tire.
Purchased military tires through JEG's of all places. Everyone else wanted $100 for shipping. JEG's was free shipping to my door. Who doesn't like saving a C note from flying out of the wallet.
I had new 9" x 16" tires installed on my 1963 Dodge M37 3/4 ton (military) truck by Roberts tire, big rig tire store. Roberts tire, does Everything from tractor tires to 18 wheelers. Discount would not mount these due to the rims being split ring. I later wanted the tire/wheels balanced for a smoother ride. Discount again would not perform the work. I said "they have new tires on the wheels, just balance them"? No. Big O stepped in. Balanced them for me, one wheel took 14 ounces of weight. These wheels have a thick rubber liner, tube, and tire, so lots of internal items to throw balance off.
In short I guess we need to check around, whether it is a purchase or service we need. The old standby places are changing and don't always do what we need.

M37.jpeg

I've used Discount tire for more years and vehicles than I can remember. Loved them and recommended them to all.

Not anymore. The last few visits I left SO pissed off that I contacted corporate. All I got was a call from what they thought was the offending shop manager. Wrong shop manager was confused and nothing was ever resolved. I'll pay more from another shop just to avoid the frustration.

I like Filthy Motorsports for tires, good prices, excellent service and they have stuff thats hard to find and you can get your "off road only" tires there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom