Dim brake light on one side. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

desmocruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
On my 96 80 series I have a dim brake light on side.

The trailer wiring in not the cause (my initial suspicion), standard 1157 bulb is good, wiring harness plugs are all clean and intact, and can’t seem to find a compromised ground. All other lights are the correct level of brightness.

Any suggestions or common ares to check further?

Thanks!!

Bad ground or corroded light socket/connection
Thanks! I cleaned and wire brushed the socket, I will pull the wires and see if I can find a compromise on the socket

I can’t find a loose local ground. I would imagine a more primary ground would create other issues?

Rear brake light issues... almost always a bad ground.

Bad ground or corroded light socket/connection
Do you have a multimeter? Start measuring voltages.
Rear brake light issues... almost always a bad ground.
Thanks all!

Found the bad ground, unsure how it happened but the ground wire, which is nothing more than a striped wire bent to press against the metal portion of the socket had lost solid contact.

Was able to remove the metal circular piece and wire brush the surface for good contact and pull the ground wire through to strip off a bit more so we have plenty of fresh wire pressed against the metal, reassembled and I now have 2 equally bright brake lights!

Well 3 if you count the led across the top of the back window!

The taillight harnesses are cheap and easy to replace. I finally replaced one of mine after fixing a bad ground and having it fail again after a year or so. I didn't realize how worn/hammered down the little nubs were that contact the bulb. Definitely something to put on the shopping list before they go out of production.

🤫

When I bought my daughter's '94 80, the seller had a time repairing the front marker light for the same reason. What it really need was a new pigtail, because the "basket" the bulb sat in was FUBAR. I made a field expedient repair with the foil backing from a chewing gum wrapper. Everyone there was amazed. I told my daughter, as we were leaving, that they needed to get out more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom