Difference in 22re clutch kit 85-88 vs 88-92? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know the difference?

Flywheel is larger in later models. From Marlin:

"This flywheel fits a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder 22R and 22R-E 1981 - 10/1992 non-Turbo Hilux and Hilux 4Runner. Fits a 8-7/8" clutch and is 24.3 pounds."

"This flywheel fits a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder 1986-87 22R-TE (Turbo) and 11/1992 - 1995 22R-E non-Turbo Hilux and Hilux 4Runner. Fits a 9-5/16" clutch and is 23.9 pounds."

According to Marlin the change-over was the 1993 model years, not 1988. Note that upgrading to the larger flywheel, and clutch, is possible, and some consider desirable.

I see what you are talking about. From what I can tell Toyota went to a different throw-out bearing design. From 8/88+ they used a one-piece T/O bearing. In the earlier clutches they used a bearing + hub. Not sure if they would interchange, or if there was a difference in the shift fork. That would take some homework.

Here is a pic. This says the change was in 8/88 and 31231 is the older two piece design. The 31230 is the one piece. Looks like the fork is the same (1984 - 2004 22re and 3rz). Why they don't just spec the later and abandon the bearing+hub design is a mystery.

to bearing.jpg

Last edited:
I see what you are talking about. From what I can tell Toyota went to a different throw-out bearing design. From 8/88+ they used a one-piece T/O bearing design. In the earlier clutches they used a bearing + hub. Not sure if they would interchange, or if there was a difference in the shift fork. That would take some homework.

Here is a pic. This says the change was in 8/88 and 31231 is the older two piece design. The 31230 is the one piece. Looks like the fork is the same (1984 - 2004 22re and 3rz). Why they don't just spec the later and abandon the bearing+hub design is a mystery.

View attachment 2573167
Ok so it looks like the difference is in the TO bearing. I’m asking bc I’m building a motor for my crawler which is an 85. I will be swapping the transmission out as well. I have flywheel/tranny from 85,86, 87 &91. Probably going to use either the 87 or 91 tranny. Just try to figure out which clutch I should get. Do you think the pressure plates are the same pre 93

Last edited:
According to Camelback Toyota's parts site the one-piece T/O bearing will working on early 4Runners. For some reason they don't list the pickups. This would suggest that the later one-piece bearing interchanges with the bearing+hub design. Get the clutch that matches the flywheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom