Diff nuts?!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my rear differential for two trips know when I get home my rear diff is complete loose all nuts backed off? And yes I torqued them lol
A4DA2667-C8E1-44E8-986B-AAF6317EEC72.jpeg

@highsierra4x4 : Definitely show us a few photos of how you found the diff (front side) including the nuts/studs with a close up view. Are the studs tight, stripped?? Any work on the diff before this happened?? Did you strike any rocks with the diff?? Any leakage from the pinion seal/flange area?

What is the torque value that you set the nuts too when you torque them?

As mentioned above, looks like the diff gasket has cracked and is poking out?? Could be FIPG, hard to tell, has the differential ever been taken off the axle?

IME a temp fix (after tightening the nuts) might be to stuff some gear oil tolerant FIPG on the seam, may have to empty the diff before trying that. Otherwise would have to pull the axle shafts, drop the rear driveshaft, then pull the diff, clean the mating surfaces, reinstall the diff with your choice of gear oil tolerant FIPG or gasket.

FZJ80 rear differential gasket leaking.jpg

FWIW some people have replaced the OEM nuts with the type of flanged nut that has serrations on the mating surface and/or they've replaced the flat washers with lock washers. Need also to check that the studs have not loosened.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom