Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1991 FZJ80
1994 Isuzu NPR 4 cylinder Turbodiesel
Toyota stock transmission and transfer case (Both rebuilt and custom built torque converter)
Front long arms adjusted to correct steering and clear drive shaft
Custom AC unit installed
Air dog fuel filter

Gas mileage is 16 city and 19 highway

1991 FZJ80
1994 Isuzu NPR 4 cylinder Turbodiesel
Toyota stock transmission and transfer case (Both rebuilt and custom built torque converter)
Front long arms adjusted to correct steering and clear drive shaft
Custom AC unit installed
Air dog fuel filter

Gas mileage is 16 city and 19 highway
a 1991 would be an FJ80. 1993-97 are th FZJ80 years.

What I really don't know is if the body is a 97 and the motor 98, does it get smogged?

I know the engine needs to have all the parts of the emission control system intact.
Do they go by the year of the car/body or the engine?
A 98/99 motor in a 97 (or older) body without the EPA nazis in you back would be sweet.

What I really don't know is if the body is a 97 and the motor 98, does it get smogged?

I know the engine needs to have all the parts of the emission control system intact.
Do they go by the year of the car/body or the engine?
A 98/99 motor in a 97 (or older) body without the EPA nazis in you back would be sweet.

The way I understand it:

Same year as the body or newer on the engine swap.

Engine must be from the same "class" in CA for a "legal" swap.

This is where it gets tricky in CA. The 6bt is / was in a 3/4 & 1 ton truck. Not in a "Wagon" or "station wagon".

Take a look at your reg and see how the DMV classified your 80....

If it says wagon, your stuck with finding a diesel motor that came out of another station wagon.... The 606 Merc comes to mind...

Now, there're have been some known ways around this.

So I've been told.

Another less appealing option is the GM 6.5 diesel- it falls within the same "wagon" class as the 80. Personally, I'd lean towards the Merc motor if all the emissions systems can be carried over from donor.

Personally, I'd lean towards the Merc motor if all the emissions systems can be carried over from donor.

OM606 does not have a lot of emission related parts, as the later engines have.
I believe the only a DPF and EGR valve. It's not the scary type of DPF you see today on all the new cars.

The question remains though, will it be smoged in a 97 or earlier Land Cruiser. If it won't, then I know exactly how to make it more reliable.

OM606 does not have a lot of emission related parts, as the later engines have.
I believe the only a DPF and EGR valve. It's not the scary type of DPF you see today on all the new cars.

The question remains though, will it be smoged in a 97 or earlier Land Cruiser. If it won't, then I know exactly how to make it more reliable.

Smog'd no...

Visual inspection yes....

Once it's registered as a diesel that is... That's the tricky part, and where CA seems to make things difficult for most.

Again there are some easier ways through then others.

Research is your friend.

-A

In CARB states diesels are smog checked if they are '97 or newer.
Correction:
Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.

So 97 would still be diesel smog check exempt

This has been my daily driver since May.

1. 1997 FZJ80
2. Japanese 1HD-T, AU H150 5 speed, transfer case converted to part time with Marks kit.
3. ?
4. Getting a brown manual shifter console - its discontinued... Getting a clutch disk.
5. Locking axles swapped in, lift added, 4xlabs rear (kit), dual filler with OEM sub tank, part time t-case conversion, locking hubs on the front, new drive shafts, OEM steelies
6. Drives great. I have done the same swap with an auto trans and the 5 speed is much more fun to drive.
7. 18-21 mpg but seems consistently closer to 18.

IMG_2340.JPG IMG_2385.JPG

I just remembered the Touareg TDI V6 2002-2004. I don't think it has the DPF and certainly no SCR. I guess it has a EGR valve, but that's a non issue.
Would this be a good choice of diesel engines, since it comes from a like vehicle (SUV), newer than the LC, was also sold in CA? As far as the CA requirements go, I think it is OK.
Another advantage is the V6 configuration (I like it anyway due to the weight distribution on the front axle).
Not sure what type of throttle it uses, wire or cable.
Transmission wise, I have again no idea if it will ever work. ( think this is the only huge issue here).

Any ideas?

My 97 80series converted to a part time 4WD with a 12ht Motor in it , but the thing that's bothers me is my oil pressure gauge never did work since the conversion its been 15km now , I plug the wire from my 1fz oil sending unit to the 12ht sending unit but it has no pressure but it has a pressure , wondering if is there any other wire that needs to be plug in or grounded to.

My 97 80series converted to a part time 4WD with a 12ht Motor in it , but the thing that's bothers me is my oil pressure gauge never did work since the conversion its been 15km now , I plug the wire from my 1fz oil sending unit to the 12ht sending unit but it has no pressure but it has a pressure , wondering if is there any other wire that needs to be plug in or grounded to.

Put the 1fz sending unit in place of the 12ht one and it will work. Likely the senders are different ranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom