Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stone any updates to your original thread? Like mpg, issues etc?

Awesome thread keep em coming!

Not much to update...the truck is running really nice and the 12H-T remains very smooth. Still produces lots of power with the 14-15 psi max boost, but fuel consumption is still not that great at around 14-15 US MPG in the city. Keep in mind though that my commute is literally less than 10 minutes away...and while I should really just bike or drive a compact beater to work, I really love driving the Cruiser. :D I know, these short commutes are not very good for the diesel...oh well. I still need to do the injectors.

As for the other stuff...will have to wait until I can free up funds for them. The other things that I want to do (extreme valve body and torque converter, bumpers, etc.) are all at least $1k each, so I'll just drive the truck the way it is now. The knuckle seals have just started to weep now too...so I'll need to do that as well as swap out the CDL motor that seems siezed. Joy.

1. 1993 FZJ80 with factory lockers. 246k miles, and a tranny headed south

2. Installed a GM 6.5TD with mechanical injection and ATS turbo system, an NV4500 tranny, and FJ60 part time transfer case

3. Thought the clutch pedal assy would be a bear, but I discovered that parts from the FJ60 donor could be used. Had to carve up the pedal bucket assembly - removing the section that carried the brake pedal. It fits up to the factory boss on the 80 firewall, and uses the factory 60 master cylinder.

4. The NV4500 was a nightmare. Not the installation, but because I unknowingly purchased a bastard tranny that was a combination of chevy and dodge. Ended up having to replace numerous parts and have some made custom by a machine shop. Would've been cheaper to throw it in the trash and buy another one, but it was a series of expenses - each one thought to be the last... moral of the story, check the part numbers when you buy an NV4500

5. OME J lift, Aisin hubs, Scion radio. More to come as the project continues.

6. Just backed it out of the garage and onto a trailer - headed to the exhaust shop - driving impressions to come

7. ditto for fuel consumption

8. I'd give it ***-1/2 stars. Electrical conversion was much simpler than a Vortec swap done several years ago, but the overall project required many hours of detailed fabrication.

9. pics attached

10. build thread to come

Any updates to report? Like to hear how this all worked out.

-Ammo

I am totally new to forums in general and could be "hijacking this thread" and if so apologize. I live in Nicaragua and bought a '95 FJ80 there, and do not have an owners manual. This truck has the factory 12 valve turbo diesel, manual tranny, manual locking front hubs, and a button on the dash for selecting 2-4 wheel drive, and do not know how to properly use this system. I have tried unsuccessfully to get owners and/or shop manuals for this truck from Toyota in English. Can anyone describe to me how to properly engage 4-wheel drive, or even better point me to some manuals? I absolutely LOVE this vehicle, need 4-wheel drive very often, and don't want to trash it. Again, sorry if I am not using this forum properly and if so ask for assistance in doin so.
hi ,i guess your vehicle is a hdj81 & you can switch to 4 wheel safely with the truck completely stop, but switch to 2 wheel-- any time.i have complete manuel both engine & chassis but too thick to copy.if u need to know any info just let me know.
happy motoring.

My FZJ80 is on-deck for the Duramax. I'll start a build thread on it once we get going.

So, the love is lost for the Atlas already? I am looking forward to the Dmax install however! Any idea when this will happen?

Considering putting my 2H + H55F into an FJ80...

Might I be the first?

Nope...there's been at least one other one up here done a few years ago. He stuck the combo in and didn't like it...promptly swapped in a 12H-T. :)

Egypt Sand Dunes

Engine:1 HT 4.2 V6 Turbo Diesel

Transmission: Automatic

Suspension: Brand New Old Man Emu
Australian Suspension Kit For offroad and Heavy Load
(Heavy Duty Suspension Kit).

Wheels:15 / 5 New off road Hankook Tires : 31x15x11.5

AC, Electric windows , Sunroof.

6 New JVC Speakers, 2 LCD Screen's .

Last edited:
thanks dude .. got it .. that's why you need a US base ( frame and body ? ) to start with ..

You can legally sell it in Canada, though. And I'm sure you would find a buyer right away.

If I do it, that'll be the way I go...Cummins, but then, I work there...I'm just sayin' :p

You work at the candy factory and have never tasted the candy?!? You have more self control than I do...lol.

You work at the candy factory and have never tasted the candy?!? You have more self control than I do...lol.
Well, believe it or not, it's not exactly that easy. It USED to be, but a rotten few spoiled it for the rest of us. Now, I can't even buy one from here, I have to go to a distributer...I do get a discount, but I have to drive like 45 miles to get one when I see them going out the door every day!!

:idea: Of course, I guess I "could" do it like Johnny Cash...one piece at a time!!! :grinpimp:

Where to buy?

My only question is where would you find the 1HDFT? i am very interested in trying this swap but have no idea where to find the motor or what the damage to my wallet would be. any ideas?

Since you live so close to me, drop me a line. Let's see, a 1HZ is going into a 40 in the next few months, a 3B-T went into another 40, a 1HZ-T will be going into a 45 so that leaves a 1HD-T that needs to go into an 80 series. Perhaps that'll be you? ;)

ali

If I do it, that'll be the way I go...Cummins, but then, I work there...I'm just sayin' :p

so how do I get my hands on a 3.9 ISB????

so how do I get my hands on a 3.9 ISB????

In California I wouldn't have any idea, if you were in NC I could probably work it out through the distributor that we have to buy from, you know, you being my third cousin and all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom