Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

order a whole engine from a jdm importer and thats the easy way to a 1hdt change the turbo to a 50ar and boost it upto 20psi and have funn

hey guys i've ran into a little issue with my 91 fj... i swapped in 12 valve cummins with a nv4500 behind it, behind that is a 19 spline split case.my problem is gear ratio... in 5th gear i'm running 2200rpm to do a little over 70mph. i cant find anyone that sells a higher gear set for my stock 91 fj80 axles. im thinking a about a 3.73 would be perfect. or i'm open to the idea of a divorced od but i'm having a difficult time figuring out which one would work the best.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Got pics of how that NV sits in there??

Are you looking for anything specific? i.e. clearance on sides etc?

Yep.... was their any fabbing needed in the tunnel??

The only major "fabbing" of the trans hump was with a 4 lb. hammer for about 5 minutes or so, nothing major though, just smackeroo, see if the trans will fit, and then a little more fine tuning with the knockometer. The only spot I had to hit was where the trans hump met the firewall for the engine/bellhousing bolts.

I did cut out a fair bit on the trans hump to get easy access to the top engine to trans bolts:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/407556-codys-slow-white-80-re-build.html

you should have a little less "fine tuning" with a 4BT as the motor could sit forward another inch or two
IMG_9219.jpg

What size tires are you running with the nv4500 setup? I have 315's on mine with the same trans and xfer. Would be running 80+ mph at 2200 rpm.

Also interesting that you had minimal hump mods. My tcase seriously interfered on the pass side.

Sent from my ADR6300

I'm planning to swap a 1HD-FTE, into my '94. Anyone know of a source?

Check with a JDM engine importer. You can find the 1hd-t easier than the 1hdt-fe though. The only problem you'll run into with the FE is getting the computer, wiring harness, etc. Sometimes they will include it, but expect there to be something missing.

1. Year and model of the original truck.
97 FZJ80 Sage 40th edition from San Diego

2. Brief details of the Drivetrain that was swapped in.
Toyota 1HD-FT 24valve direct injected turbo diesel (Non EGR version) mated to an H151F 5spd tranny and HF1A factory part time transfer case.

3. What went really well with the swap?
Everything, it helped that I had a complete 5spd HDJ81 to canibalize much of the 5speed specific parts from ie crossmember, tranny tunnel metal, misc brackets, etc.
Dave Stedman at Japan4x4 was able to get me all the new LHD 5spd parts I wanted to make the swap clean and factory like.

4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap?
Carefully cutting the ATM crossmember gussets off the frame rails for relocation, not highly difficult, just a real time consuming PITA.

5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any?
Rage Big bore 3" exhaust kit, Walbro FRB 5 fuel pusher, Emu 850/860, Slee blue bushings, 285 BFG AT KOs, dual batteries, ISSPRO pyro and boost gauges set into the vents, Hallman Pro manual boost controller (13 psi)

6. Driving impressions after the swap...
Love it. Off boost performance is a little weak since the engine is tuned for tighter emissions, Boost compensator tweak will fix that. Final drive is lower on the 5spd so it revs higher on the Hwy, but the 24v breathes so well it doesn't seem to mind. Hardly have to touch the brakes.
Off road it is fantastic. Chugs along like a tractor through anything, even with the M101 in tow through the Whipsaw trail.

7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap.
My best tank was was on stock coils and tires. 490 miles before the light came on, 21 gal to fill which makes for 23.3 US mpg.
Most recent road trip with the family, lifted on 285s, Bullbar etc, towing 1200lb M101 trailer and RTT, 3069 Miles consumed 152.5 Gal for an average of 20.1 US MPG
There is big difference in consumption between 55 mph and 70mpg, like 20%

8. Five star rating for overall difficulty of the swap: *=relatively easy, *****=don't even attempt it
I rate put pulling off this swap at ***** due to the difficulty and cost of actually getting a hold of this combination of parts. The swap also requires a very good understanding of 80 series electrical systems as well as access US and General Market EWDs and Toyota EPC. As well as a really good parts supplier in the Toyota Motherland... props to Dave at Japan4x4!

9. 2 to 3 pictures of your rig.
DSCN5536.jpg
DSCN5537.jpg
DSCN5481.jpg

Some more pics...
GGERP w 80.jpg
Vent gauges R.jpg
Vent gauges DK.jpg

Thanks, I've been searching JDM suppliers for days with little success. Any ideas as to what a fair price is for a ft and fte half cut might be?

No Canadian JDM importers are bringing in 1HD-FTE stuff, that I know of anyway.
You'd be best to check in AUS, Europe or Japan.
I'll bet easy $15k plus for a HDJ100 half cut.
Check with eleblanc who just imported a half cut out of EUR.
He has a thread on the install too.

I've found a 1hd-ft, half cut JDM. I have heard that all JDM were 24 volt. Price is 11k. sound right.

Thanks.. it's what I consider the "Holy Grail" of 80 conversion parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom