Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
bcfishingreports.com
Hi folks:

With the increasing popularity of diesel engines being transplanted into 80 series Land Cruisers, I thought it would be neat to see everyone's rig all in one spot.

These are my reasons for starting this thread:

1) Lots of people have done transplants with Toyota and non-Toyota diesel engines.

2) It would be neat to read about everyone's rigs and their experiences all in one thread.

3) I am hoping to have everyone include a link to their separate build threads so that a browser can get a quick glimpse/summary of the truck in this Registry thread, and then click on the link of the rig they're interested in and read the more detailed stuff.

4) It would be an easy resource for those who are in the process of planning their own swap...they can just browse through this Registry thread and click on the rigs they are interested in and see if it's for them or not. I know we have a Search engine, but wouldn't this be a neater way for those specifically interested in a swap?

So...this is the format I propose:

1. Year and model of the original truck.
2. Brief details of the Drivetrain that was swapped in.
3. What went really well with the swap?
4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap?
5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any?
6. Driving impressions after the swap...including drivability in daily driving (if applicable), highway travel, and, of course, off pavement.
7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap...lol. :D
8. Five star rating for overall difficulty of the swap: *=relatively easy, *****=don't even attempt it unless you have some real good friends who are really handy.
9. 2 to 3 pictures of your rig.
10. A link to your own build thread with all the juicy details and pictures.

Oh yeah, as much as possible, try to limit the chat in this thread. Either PM the rig owners with the questions that you have, or post them in the owner's build thread.

That's it so far...and I'll put up my post in a little bit. :beer:

Okay folks...I guess I'll start it off...

1. Year and model of the original truck.
Started out as an Oregon truck...1991 FJ80, 220+k miles.

2. Brief details of the Drivetrain that was swapped in.
Toyota 12H-T 4L direct injected turbo diesel, mated to the A440 automatic tranny and full time transfer case that was originally behind the 3FE.

3. What went really well with the swap?
I was really surprised at how easily and well the diesel slipped into the gasser tranny. Basically 12H-T ring gear, torque converter, bell housing...and then on to the gasser components from tranny onwards.

4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap?
It would have been a nightmare if I didn't have access to a bunch of misc. parts to figure out tranny cooling lines and stuff. Luckily, Sheldon and Greg of G&S are good friends and were instrumental in this project. Other than that...the exhaust system was a PITA and $$$ because the 12H-T dumps on the wrong side and there's a lot of bends before it ends.

5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any?
2-3" Procomp lift, 33" BFG AT KO, Airflow Snorkel, dual batteries with a Redarc Smart Start solenoid, ISSPRO pyro and boost gauges, manual boost controller (14 psi), etc. Oh yeah...it has a K&N filter...lol. :D

6. Driving impressions after the swap...including drivability in daily driving (if applicable), highway travel, and, of course, off pavement.
Awesome! The 3FE had more top speed on the freeway...but in every other application, felt like a slug compared to the 12H-T. It is noticably louder than the 3FE...sounds like an older Cummins...but I like that. :D

7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap...lol.
With winter fuel, I was only getting 14.5 US MPG for city driving...but keep in mind that my work is only ten minutes away from my home...so the diesel doesn't really ever get to warm up. Seems like we've switched to summer fuel already...and I've seen an improvement already on the first tank. Right now I have 200 miles and there's still about a third of the tank left...with winter fuel I'd be down to less than a quarter already. I'll update what I'm getting in town with summer fuel after a couple of tanks.

8. Five star rating for overall difficulty of the swap: *=relatively easy, *****=don't even attempt it unless you have some real good friends who are really handy.
I'd say ****, simply because of all the custom work that needed to be done compared to if I had chosen to drop in a 1HD-T.

9. 2 to 3 pictures of your rig.
Airflow_Snorkel.sized.jpg

90_percent_done_002.sized.jpg

:D
3FE_coming_out_013.sized.jpg

10. A link to your own build thread with all the juicy details and pictures.
It's on my sig line...but...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...urbo-diesel-transplant-into-my-1991-fj80.html

:beer:

Last edited:
6.5td fzj80

1. 1993 FZJ80 with factory lockers. 246k miles, and a tranny headed south

2. Installed a GM 6.5TD with mechanical injection and ATS turbo system, an NV4500 tranny, and FJ60 part time transfer case

3. Thought the clutch pedal assy would be a bear, but I discovered that parts from the FJ60 donor could be used. Had to carve up the pedal bucket assembly - removing the section that carried the brake pedal. It fits up to the factory boss on the 80 firewall, and uses the factory 60 master cylinder.

4. The NV4500 was a nightmare. Not the installation, but because I unknowingly purchased a bastard tranny that was a combination of chevy and dodge. Ended up having to replace numerous parts and have some made custom by a machine shop. Would've been cheaper to throw it in the trash and buy another one, but it was a series of expenses - each one thought to be the last... moral of the story, check the part numbers when you buy an NV4500

5. OME J lift, Aisin hubs, Scion radio. More to come as the project continues.

6. Just backed it out of the garage and onto a trailer - headed to the exhaust shop - driving impressions to come.
UPDATE - after nearly a year on the road - this thing has WAY more power than the 1FZFE motor, fantastic torque at low end, and plenty of HP ro run a comfortable 75 mph cruise on the highway. Gearing with the recently installed 315 mud terrains is about perfect. And, most of all, running a 5 speed 80 series is great!

7. ditto for fuel consumption.
UPDATE - getting 16-18mpg in town driving on winter fuel. Have been playing with an electric fan swap to see if it improves economy. Hoping for a good bump when summer fuel return!

8. I'd give it ***-1/2 stars. Electrical conversion was much simpler than a Vortec swap done several years ago, but the overall project required many hours of detailed fabrication.

9. pics attached

10. build thread to come
P1000834 (Medium) (Small).JPG
IMG_0737 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Awesome idea for a thread, and exactly what I'm looking for on this forum!

Subscribed. I'm sure we'll have lots of questions so should we ask them here or somewhere else?

good idea!

sub x2... this is on the list for my '93... just enjoying it for now as is, but the diesel itch is getting stronger. LOVE to see the different engine/trans options actually implemented!!:bounce:

:cheers:

This is awesome, I will be adding my build to the list in a few weeks. It will be a 6.5TD with 4L80E into a 91-97 FJ80. I'm still searching for the perfect body for my client, then the swap begins.

I already built a 1983 FJ60 with banks turbo GM 6.2, and NV4500 transmission. It was a nice ride, my client is getting 22MPG's, and it has lots of giddy up.

This is awesome, I will be adding my build to the list in a few weeks. It will be a 6.5TD with 4L80E into a 91-97 FJ80. I'm still searching for the perfect body for my client, then the swap begins.

I already built a 1983 FJ60 with banks turbo GM 6.2, and NV4500 transmission. It was a nice ride, my client is getting 22MPG's, and it has lots of giddy up.

What kind of weight is the 6.2 Diesel and how much lift is required to accommodate it? Do you have more info on this conversion?

thanks.

Subscribing, but I'll update this post with the details in a few days. 94 FZJ80 w/ 6.5TD, currently swapping to A440 from a 91/92. There are a few posts about this rig on mud, just search my username to find them...

What kind of weight is the 6.2 Diesel and how much lift is required to accommodate it? Do you have more info on this conversion?

thanks.
Seems like the 6.2 is around 700lbs, roughly the same as the toyota engine.
I am pretty sure it will fit without a lift, I went with an OME stock height lift (which actually brings it up about an inch) I also added a 1" body lift just to make the exhaust routing easier but it wasn't really necessary either.
Rusty

I am totally new to forums in general and could be "hijacking this thread" and if so apologize. I live in Nicaragua and bought a '95 FJ80 there, and do not have an owners manual. This truck has the factory 12 valve turbo diesel, manual tranny, manual locking front hubs, and a button on the dash for selecting 2-4 wheel drive, and do not know how to properly use this system. I have tried unsuccessfully to get owners and/or shop manuals for this truck from Toyota in English. Can anyone describe to me how to properly engage 4-wheel drive, or even better point me to some manuals? I absolutely LOVE this vehicle, need 4-wheel drive very often, and don't want to trash it. Again, sorry if I am not using this forum properly and if so ask for assistance in doin so.

You'll need to post this in the diesel section... you'll get more responses.

3b diesel into my 91 fj 80

just beginning the implant of my 3b diesel into this rig. modifying the motor mounts from the original 1983 bj 60. i am looking to connect with the forum member from calgary alberta that kindly sold me his unwanted ecu last year as i have the auto transmission from the 91 available now. the engine is also up for grabs but who would want the gas /pig inline 6 anyway. i think his name was chad but he has a fj 80 with a 350 chev engine implant. i do have a question for the general populace though. i want to use the original axles from the 91 fj 80 but of course full time hubs are stock. does anyone out there have a line on locking hubs that will fit the original axles? i might be faced with swapping the 83 bj 60 axles and diffs if the housings match. what do you think people?
thanks

Good friend Ken did most of the work. engine was installed level, the tranny sits at about 5 degree slant due to the breadvan adapter plate.
1. 1994 80 series
2. 1994 80 with 4BT/NV4500/Orion. .
3. What went really well with the swap? - the end result.
4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap? - everything. not an easy swap.
5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any? - Intercooled, 3200RPM spring, H1C turbo with 54MM inducer. Boosts to about 22psi, 900F pre-turbo. ~95:1 crawl ration.
6. Driving impressions after the swap- Really loud at idle. And shaky. Would drive you crazy on the trail all day. once over 20mph, it's fine. And after new injectors, much smoother.
7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap. - don't know. already sold it.
8. overall difficulty of the swap: ***** HUGE pita to install. To make it fit _right_, needed custom exhaust manifold cut from a 6BT, oil pan and pickup tube modified, floorboards clearanced for transfercase, and the NV4500 stick comes up under the dash (picture a SM420 in a landcruiser).
But it drives way way way nicer then a 4BT w/auto. 100x nicer.

YouTube - 4BT Running in 1994 Land Cruiser 80 Series

All gauges work, including the tach. Luckily we had a Proffitts converted 80 to figure out the wiring from... otherwise... phew, good luck. FJ60 hubs on the front, fit perfect (pre-95 birfs are smaller).
engine1.jpg
cockpit.jpg
paint2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom