Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally finished putting a new head and my super HX30W turbo, and upgrading it from aftercooled to intercooled . So far cruising egt 7-900 on highway @ 75MPH @ 2350 RPM

IMG_1057.jpeg

IMG_1089.jpeg

Here's my contribution:

1997 LX450
2005 Euro VNT 1HD-FTE with A750F 5-speed auto transmission

You can see a full write up of the process here: 1HD-FTE and A750 5-speed auto 80-Series Install Writeup - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1hd-fte-and-a750-5-speed-auto-80-series-install-writeup.1310652/

I have a few post-swap bugs yet to work out - I still get some vibration in reverse at idle which I think is attributed to incorrect transmission fill but I haven't solved it yet.

It's averaging 18 mpg in a steady mix of city, trail, and highway mileage every tank. This is a heavily armored 80 with full drawers and fridge sitting on 37s so I find the mileage acceptable. :)

IMG_6314.jpeg
IMG_8749.jpeg
IMG_8766.jpeg
IMG_9095.jpeg
IMG_9220.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's my contribution:

1997 LX450
2005 Euro VNT 1HD-FTE with A750F 5-speed auto transmission

You can see a full write up of the process here: 1HD-FTE and A750 5-speed auto 80-Series Install Writeup - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1hd-fte-and-a750-5-speed-auto-80-series-install-writeup.1310652/

I have a few post-swap bugs yet to work out - I still get some vibration in reverse at idle which I think is attributed to incorrect transmission fill but I haven't solved it yet.

It gets 21.5 MPG on the highway and 17.5MPG in town. This is a heavily armored 80 with full drawers and fridge sitting on 37s so I find the mileage acceptable. :)

View attachment 3344916View attachment 3344915View attachment 3344914View attachment 3344913View attachment 3344912
Nicely done mate. I do recommend removing the ABS and the LSPV. Axles are clean, 20 lb less of crap. I did use the ABS relay for the starter and the glow screen on my 1HDFT conversion. Did you gear the TC? I also get 23 mpg driving at 65 mph. These engines are just amazing. Done the conversion 4+ years ago and put 80k miles on the truck. It's 7200lb fully loaded and I love driving it on and off road.

Nicely done mate. I do recommend removing the ABS and the LSPV. Axles are clean, 20 lb less of crap. I did use the ABS relay for the starter and the glow screen on my 1HDFT conversion. Did you gear the TC? I also get 23 mpg driving at 65 mph. These engines are just amazing. Done the conversion 4+ years ago and put 80k miles on the truck. It's 7200lb fully loaded and I love driving it on and off road.
Do you have a write up on removing ABS ? Mine no longer works either

Do you have a write up on removing ABS ? Mine no longer works either
I followed one on MUD. Also going part time ABS does not work anyway unless you mod the rotors. I’m building now a frame off 75 that was raped in a farm in Nicaragua for 25 years. It is so much fun and the community here is amazing with help.

Again, you did an amazing job on that transplant.

Last edited:
Does anyone out there have or know of the following combination:

Cummins 4bt, NV4500 AND working ac in an 80 series? I know there are a lot of 4bt 80s with auto transmission and also 4bt nv4500 60 series combinations but I cannot find anyone with nv4500 4bt 80 series running air conditioning (high mount ).

Reason for asking is I did this swap and have been driving it for about 3 years (love it) but I would like to finally upgrade from my factory turbo but do not see any way of doing it due to firewall clearance. I am right on the firewall with the h1c. If anyone knows of this combo I would love to see your solution. Thanks Fred

20230727_153034.jpg

20230727_153027.jpg

I did a swap into a Toyota pickup with a 4BT and fabricated a tubular exhaust manifold from weld-els to place the HX30 further from the engine and forward.

Does anyone out there have or know of the following combination:

Cummins 4bt, NV4500 AND working ac in an 80 series? I know there are a lot of 4bt 80s with auto transmission and also 4bt nv4500 60 series combinations but I cannot find anyone with nv4500 4bt 80 series running air conditioning (high mount ).

Reason for asking is I did this swap and have been driving it for about 3 years (love it) but I would like to finally upgrade from my factory turbo but do not see any way of doing it due to firewall clearance. I am right on the firewall with the h1c. If anyone knows of this combo I would love to see your solution. Thanks Fred

View attachment 3384999

View attachment 3385000
Have you looked into cutting a 6bt exhaust manifold and if it'll move the turbo far enough forward to give you the clearance required?

Have you looked into cutting a 6bt exhaust manifold and if it'll move the turbo far enough forward to give you the clearance required?
That's what I'm running now. I made it from a 6bt manifold putting the exhaust dump in the center. I know people have run an hx30 on this with an AUTO transmission which apparently let's the engine move a little forward. Unfortunately the nv4500 won't let you move anymore forward. I already have a gooseneck bent in the shifter because it's nearly under the dash. With that i am right on the firewall with the exhaust but it has worked great for several years now. Ironically, a 6bt will actually give you more room to play due to the engine having more room for accessories.

Ironically, a 6bt will actually give you more room to play due to the engine having more room for accessories.

Yes, having done both, there is much more room with a 6BT than a 4BT because of how things on the engine are distributed.

That's what I'm running now. I made it from a 6bt manifold putting the exhaust dump in the center. I know people have run an hx30 on this with an AUTO transmission which apparently let's the engine move a little forward. Unfortunately the nv4500 won't let you move anymore forward. I already have a gooseneck bent in the shifter because it's nearly under the dash. With that i am right on the firewall with the exhaust but it has worked great for several years now. Ironically, a 6bt will actually give you more room to play due to the engine having more room for accessories.
Gotcha! I"m planning an nv4500 behind mine as well, so good to know what some of the issues are. Keep posting up, I'd like to follow the progress. :beer:

You can track down many 4bt manifolds , mine is the same setups and I upgraded to a Super HX30W

William839....you are running an nv4500, 4bt, and air conditioning? Could you snap a pic sometime of the engine bay? Thanks, Fred

Oh....just saw that you sold the vehile and it had an auto....trying to find someone running this combo with an nv4500. That rear downward manifold wont work with an nv4500 or at least mine. Engine is too far towards the firewall.

Looking to get some input from the 6BT guys. Thinking of buying an 80 that needs a new life and putting in a 6BT. Love my 1HD-FT but also love projects and having a car I can beat up a little. What's the best way to go for an automatic transmission? I would like to keep the OEM transfer case and transmission but the adapter plates are hard to find. Any other auto trans that works well with the OEM transfer case?

Looking to get some input from the 6BT guys. Thinking of buying an 80 that needs a new life and putting in a 6BT. Love my 1HD-FT but also love projects and having a car I can beat up a little. What's the best way to go for an automatic transmission? I would like to keep the OEM transfer case and transmission but the adapter plates are hard to find. Any other auto trans that works well with the OEM transfer case?
4l85E or NV4500 (manual)

I have not had reliability using 4L80E/4L85E behind a 5.9 Cummins. They have a tall 1st gear and a band that holds a drum in the lower gears. If you put a low stall converter in them so it works behind a Cummins the low RPM torque shreds that band on a hard take off. There are no upgrades to fix that because it's not a problem in any GM application.

I'm using the Allison 1000 6 speed in an 80 with a 5.9 Cummins swap. It isn't finished yet, but when it is I think it's going to be pretty good all around. I planned to start a build thread when I was further along.

I have not had reliability using 4L80E/4L85E behind a 5.9 Cummins. They have a tall 1st gear and a band that holds a drum in the lower gears. If you put a low stall converter in them so it works behind a Cummins the low RPM torque shreds that band on a hard take off. There are no upgrades to fix that because it's not a problem in any GM application.

I'm using the Allison 1000 6 speed in an 80 with a 5.9 Cummins swap. It isn't finished yet, but when it is I think it's going to be pretty good all around. I planned to start a build thread when I was further along.
How is the fitment of that going? seems like a STOUT drivetrain for an 80.

Wondering if you’re having to cut up the floor pan to get an Allison in there. Thought about getting a pullout Duramax and Allison like they’ve been doing with the Patrol. Big bucks is all.

How is the fitment of that going? seems like a STOUT drivetrain for an 80.

It's going to come together well. I can't wait to get back on it and finish it up soon. Working through some sidebar/supporting projects at the moment.

The Allison 1000 has some beef, but externally it's not much bigger than the 343/442.

The 80 series and 5.9/6.7 Cummins are a great match with the NV4500. I believe with a properly tuned 6 speed Allison it will be even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom