Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was done at another shop, and we had to fix a bunch of issues immediately after it was finished.

relative to the installation or the engine itself .?

a 1HD-FTE will get the job done, especially with custom tune and G-Turbo. Not sure if the 5.0 will be the next available engine from Cummins, but I'm excited about it. I've been driving my R2.8 powered FJ62 for a while now and still really like it.
How does the 62 drive with the R2.8? What do you like/dislike about it?

What do you think of the Duramax 2.8L? Not sure if Duramax is selling crates like Cummins, but for the same size engine it seems to be higher performing.

relative to the installation or the engine itself .?

Problems initially were related to a poor install, and some problems were due to fuel problems (also install related). But some recent things I think are just because of the engine. Reading forums abroad I am seeing that a lot of people are having issues with it.

How does the 62 drive with the R2.8? What do you like/dislike about it?

What do you think of the Duramax 2.8L? Not sure if Duramax is selling crates like Cummins, but for the same size engine it seems to be higher performing.

The 2.8 is great! I think it's a great engine and I haven't had a single hiccup with it. I'm sure there are some tweaks that can be done to the R2.8, but it meets tier 1 emissions with just a passive exhaust filter. The Duramax has urea injection and can run a more aggressive tune and still keep emissions standards.

The V8 diesel Toyotas are not the best out there in terms of reliability.
I think the 2.8 Cummins lacks power. It needs a better tune to get serious modern power. 1HD-anything would be very expensive here in the US.

Good to know, and thanks for the reply.

Do you think if I'm looking for a diesel with comparable power to look into maybe a Cummins 5.0L V8? or any recommendations? I really want to stay with a toyota engine but the 1VD-FTV seems to be the only one with good power stats.

Go 5.9 12 valve I am really happy with mine

What's the minimum lift you needed to fit the 5.9? It's 4" right?

Depends on what exactly you want, most of the time you can put in some 860 OME and leave the stock ones in ,And it sits fine, I wanted mine taller and I am now using OME 860's with a 30mm spacer from Metal Tech, and heavies in the rear, I will be trying the 4" though because I want the heavies in the back for hauling stuff

Found this while searching engine swaps FZJ80 Landcruiser its a complete kit for a cummins

A bunch of us have used Dustins kit or parts of it, others have done the swap without his components. Even with all of his parts, there is still a decent amount of custom work you need to do when performing a cummins conversion.

Whats the opinion on the new 5.0 V8 cummins for those of us that need to pass emissions

Look up " Nissan Titan diesel problems" and see what you find.. I like the idea of a new motor that has a warranty but a tried and tested engine model would be nice too. I am waiting on feedback on the 2.8 as well. There are a lot of complaints About the Tunland (which has the 2.8) but in some cases it may be vehicle not engine related. If the 2.8 is 10k what will the 5.0 cost?

Last edited:
Whats the opinion on the new 5.0 V8 cummins for those of us that need to pass emissions

Don't even think about a newer diesel engine which comes with the mandated emission control systems. DPF, SCR, DOC, EGR.
Stay away from this alphabet problem.

If you can do without the smog check and nobody bothers to look under the hood. Go for it, but gut out all that nonsense and get a tune so the engine will work without that crap.

Otherwise, old school.

People buying new diesels today either have no idea what they get themselves into, or it's a lease and they simply don't care what happened to it.

A bunch of us have used Dustins kit or parts of it, others have done the swap without his components. Even with all of his parts, there is still a decent amount of custom work you need to do when performing a cummins conversion.

That is odd, the only thing I had to fab/mod was the steering box brace and all of the tabs came in the kit

Well, Disregard on the new 5.0 V8 cummins dose not sound promising

1. 1992 FJ80 Purchased in 12/2000 from Tulsa, OK
  2. Mar-June/2009 4BT and 700R4 tranny. Later w/2wd conv, FF rear axle, completely rebuilt/upgraded TC and axles with ARBs by Robbie in 4/2012.
  3. Nothing.
  4. Lots of wrenching to get all the bugs out. Literally everything being custom.
  5. Intercooled at install. Compound Twin Turbo in 4/2016. Holset HX30 over a 5858 Precision. Slee 6" since 12/2005.
~40+psi boost with the "twins" I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 250HP/600TQ with the tune I have now. Definitely had more top end power with a bigger single turbo, but much more enjoyable to drive with the compound setup.
  1. More power, better MPGs, quiet on the highway, but loud at idle which was to be expected. Once I'm in 4Low I barely need any throttle input to climb boulders.
  2. Now that I have a better cruising RPM with 42's I get about 15 city and 20+ highway.
  3. *

Last edited:
Got mine 97 FZ-F (Carby) version converted into 1HD-FT version with manual.

There are still a lot of problems as any swap.
Won the most of it, still have inoperable AC. Fuel mileage increased drastically. I have not done calculations yet but for sure it was worth as well as the power increased.
Going to place few pictures later.
Therefore main problems if installing the FT into F manual are following:

1. New flywheel
2. New bellhousing
3. Alternator located on other side of the engine, need to extend wiring.
4. Gas and diesel radiators are different and shrouds do not fit each other. If need to make a clean swap, radiatior should be replaced.
5. Air filter housing should be replaced as well.
6. Fuel filter mount should be with lower part.
7. Throttle cable, the limiter can be modified otherwise should be replaced.
8. AC compressor mounts and compressors are completely different - need to find from FT version.
The tubing should be replaced as well.
9. Tubing for heater should be from FT
10. Tubing for radiator should be from FT
11. There are a lot of gossips about fuel lines. No need to replace the fuel lines. F version has 6mm return and 12mm supply lines which is identical with FT trucks.
12. Brakes, should purchase original vacuum line with reservoir. It works without it, but not that effective.
13. Dashboard - only problem I faced is tacho, solved by replacing it from diesel. Can be taken from HZ either HD-T, not exactly from FT they are the same. Also the original tacho can be saved, in that case signal should be taken from alternator and the ignition coil should be saved.
14. In order to make AC operable also actuator for idle up should be installed.
15. 12 volt starter should be bought separately, from 1HD-FTE, fits perfectly works just fine I tested it in -27 centigrade started flawlessly.
16. Power steering high pressure line is different should be replaced.
17. The bleed nipple on the gas radiator should be sealed. There is no bleed line on FT.
18. Belts for water pump/alternator are different.

Heating grid has not been installed yet. Starts and runs without it just fine.

Pics will follow

Last edited:
Hi i own 3 LC 80 ,'s 93 94 and 96. I love them all, but my 96 is my mountain goat. They all have 300 plus miles. Id love to put a diesel motor in my 96 if someone out there can help me find one that best fits this truck with as little conversion as possible. Please respond or call Mark 602 708-8163

Hi i own 3 LC 80 ,'s 93 94 and 96. I love them all, but my 96 is my mountain goat. They all have 300 plus miles. Id love to put a diesel motor in my 96 if someone out there can help me find one that best fits this truck with as little conversion as possible. Please respond or call Mark 602 708-8163
That's an interesting 1st post. Set aside $25k and then give Valley hybrids in CA a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom