Diesel Engine Thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good to know.
What are the pros/cons of 1HDT vs 1HZ? Or a better option?

they are both diesel 6cyl engines.

1hdt is a direct injected, turbo diesel with 165hp/266tq stock.

1HZ is an indirect injected non turbo diesel with 130/210tq stock.

Turning up the fuel and boost a little on the 1hdt will pop those numbers up easily. The 1HZ needs turbod to get any improvement in HP and that is a whole nother search rabbit hole I’m not even going down lol.

The 1HZ is an excellent simple engine that will outlive the rig if looked after with simple maintenance. It’s not powerful but decent in an HJ45.

A 1hdt is a little more complex with the turbo, but honestly that’s about it. Much more room
For safe power upgrades. If ogbeno says every part is available….it’s available and that’s all I’d need to know to be Ok with purchasing.

I owned an HJ45 and I live at 5000’ feet. It was stupid slow lol. Anything is an improvement.

I currently own a bj74 factory 4cylinder turbo diesel 13bt, specs are similar to 1HZ. Personally I prefer turbos just for tuning and altitude issues. I have issues on some parts for mine. I wouldn’t go any older than 1HZ/IhdT for parts availability.

they are both diesel 6cyl engines.

1hdt is a direct injected, turbo diesel with 165hp/266tq stock.

1HZ is an indirect injected non turbo diesel with 130/210tq stock.

Turning up the fuel and boost a little on the 1hdt will pop those numbers up easily. The 1HZ needs turbod to get any improvement in HP and that is a whole nother search rabbit hole I’m not even going down lol.

The 1HZ is an excellent simple engine that will outlive the rig if looked after with simple maintenance. It’s not powerful but decent in an HJ45.

A 1hdt is a little more complex with the turbo, but honestly that’s about it. Much more room
For safe power upgrades. If ogbeno says every part is available….it’s available and that’s all I’d need to know to be Ok with purchasing.

I owned an HJ45 and I live at 5000’ feet. It was stupid slow lol. Anything is an improvement.

I currently own a bj74 factory 4cylinder turbo diesel 13bt, specs are similar to 1HZ. Personally I prefer turbos just for tuning and altitude issues. I have issues on some parts for mine. I wouldn’t go any older than 1HZ/IhdT for parts availability.

Good info! Thanks!
So the 1HDT is also very reliable ans simple, just wiith the added complexity of a turbo. But it seems the turbo is worth it.

turbo...
this is the way

Good info! Thanks!
So the 1HDT is also very reliable ans simple, just wiith the added complexity of a turbo. But it seems the turbo is worth it.

I’d say the least HP personally I’d want it is the 1HZ at 130. It’s a great engine, reliable as all get out.

@SNLC is building a 45 with A 1hdft, (same family, more power) he has a great thread on it.

Builds - 1967 FJ45LPB resto-mod 1HDFT H55 build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1967-fj45lpb-resto-mod-1hdft-h55-build.1174946/

I live in colorado and have a HDJ81 although it gets passed by everything i can still maintain a better speed than my gasser 80. So far the 1hdt has been a great engine and for someone who knows the basics of mechanics ive been able to do the BEBs and replace the turbo. So far this has been the easiest vehicle to work on that ive owned.

2H is almost a drop in replacement - no mounts have to move and you can even use the H Bell Housing on it if you dont want to sort out the transmission crossmember (I would definitely go with a transmission cross member personally and an HJ47 or early HJ60 bellhousing). Even you existing radiator will work if you flip the thermostat housing on the 2H to point the outlet to the left side.

It wont be much more powerful than your existing H engine though. I tour from one side of Australia to the other at least once a year in a 2H though - no real issues with the power, its adequate for the task. Hill climbs are slow, plan ahead.

Parts availability is not an issue for the 2H if you're willing to ship from Australia.

Last edited:
I live in colorado and have a HDJ81 although it gets passed by everything i can still maintain a better speed than my gasser 80. So far the 1hdt has been a great engine and for someone who knows the basics of mechanics ive been able to do the BEBs and replace the turbo. So far this has been the easiest vehicle to work on that ive owned.
2H is almost a drop in replacement - no mounts have to move and you can even use the H Bell Housing on it if you dont want to sort out the transmission crossmember (I would definitely go with a transmission cross member personally and an HJ47 or early HJ60 bellhousing). Even you existing radiator will work if you flip the thermostat housing on the 2H to point the outlet to the left side.

It wont be much more powerful than your existing H engine though. I tour from one side of Australia to the other at least once a year in a 2H though - no real issues with the power, its adequate for the task. Hill climbs are slow, plan ahead.

Parts availability is not an issue for the 2H if you're willing to ship from Australia.

I'm leaning towards the 1HZ or 1HDT, with the latter being in the lead due to the turbo. It's gonna be a bit before I can do it, hopefully not too long though, but I want to get all the info lined up so I can search and know what to get.

This information is all great. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom