Engine Heater? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.behance.net
Howdy all!
Weather is getting cool here, and winter will soon be upon us.
We get below freezing temperatures here and consistently in the 30s during winter.

Is there a particular engine heater recommended for diesels like the H engine?

I was looking at the Kat's Engine Heaters that heat up the water in the engine. These seem to be better than the pads.
I’d rather avoid the plug heaters as I don’t want to mess with engine plugs, etc.

Should I also heat the diesel fuel? My tank is inside the cockpit so I could install one of those heating pads inside as well-right on the metal of the tank.

Also, if there’s any advice on a cockpit heater for the HJ45, I’d appreciate that input! Apparently the one in mine was removed when the AC was installed-and I pulled that out due to the crappy rig of the compressor.

Thanks!!!

I like block heaters. My FJ has one and my F150 that spent time in Alaska has one. Many years back the bar that hold it in broke on mine. I just installed the new freeze out plug I bought when I bought the block heater and was back on the road in minutes. Dad brazed the bar with a stiffer and I put it back in, been there since 1990. I need to get another spare plug and put back in the glove box, just in case.

I lived in Nebraska a number of years and had good luck with the magnetic style heater on the oil pan.

I saw something that said a fuel filter heater is good as well. Maybe one on the oil filter as well.

I think battery heaters would be a good item too. If you are gelling treated fuel, then its really cold out.

My block heaters are both 300 W, takes about 3 hours to warm things up at 0 or so. I don't leave them plugged in as it leads to condensation in the oil IMHO.

The one on my Sis's Dodge Cummings is 1500 W and its in the radiator hose - it will bake that hose over time. Yea it needs a good cord and breaker.

I think battery heaters would be a good item too. If you are gelling treated fuel, then its really cold out.

My block heaters are both 300 W, takes about 3 hours to warm things up at 0 or so. I don't leave them plugged in as it leads to condensation in the oil IMHO.

The one on my Sis's Dodge Cummings is 1500 W and its in the radiator hose - it will bake that hose over time. Yea it needs a good cord and breaker.
Yes I agree.
I am considering a battery heater, oil pan heater, and fuel filter heater.

I’ve seen some stick on pad ones that are pretty small, and may add one on the oil filter as well.

Last edited:
Looked online and there’s the stick on pads for like $20 for two. That would be good for one to the oil filter housing and one for the fuel filter housing.
Maybe a magnetic one for the oil!

Or…. At that price, two for the oil pan and then insulate it with something and silicone gasket maker.

Heck, maybe one for the fuel tank.

Make sure you can run low sulfur diesel - old ones have issues with the injector pump due to lubricity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom