Diesel Engine Thoughts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.behance.net
My HJ45 (1980 long bed pickup) has a 1H engine and a 4 speed manual. Leaks oil. I think it's the gasket of the oil reservoir at the bottom.

Anyway, so I have been thinking of whether to try and restore the 1H or do another Toyota diesel. I know I can't turbo the 1H, but trying to determine if it can be made more responsive. This will be an overlanding rig with auxiliary fuel, water, a lighweight camper, etc.
Also want to swap in a 5 speed (H55 and Split T-Case).

I do NOT want a cummins, nor any non-Toyota engine. No V8 gasser. I want a Toyota diesel that's reliable and easy to work on. No electronics.
I don't know anything about these engines, though.

From what I see, the worthwhile engine swaps would be:
  1. 2H
  2. 1HZ
  3. 12HT
  4. 1HDT?
  5. ???
I'm open to an inline six or 4 cylinder diesel, naturally asperated or turbo, as long as it will give improvements. And there's the rub...

How much improvement are we talking about with the above engines? Turbo'd versions? I expect possibly a lot, but again, I don't know.

I don't need to pass cars at 70mph on the highway, but I also don't want to be going up hills in second gear.

I am also concerned about parts availability, etc. It's one thing to order parts that are common in OZ from OZ, but another if the parts are rare even there.

I've seen 1HZ engines on Alibaba, etc. and they seem reasonably priced, but again, not familiar.

If anyone has advice as to what the steps will be, what I'll need, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

@CenTXFJ60

screenshot - Copy.png

Based on your criteria

2H/12HT - no, parts availability
1HDT - maybe, parts are getting harder
1HDTFE- ok, not sure about uphills in 2nd, in Kansas maybe and a little bit of Colorado. Not Banff.

I'm assuming your from USA. So all the diesels will be somewhat difficult for parts.
1HZ is by far easiest for parts, pretty sure you can still buy them brand new.
But they are slow. Probably fast compared to your 1H but slow compared to the speed Americans drive at.

The turbo motors are all great. But they are very expensive and if your buying second hand it is pretty hard to tell what condition it'll be in. If it needs a rebuild it gets pretty eye watering.

Because you are even considering rebuilding the 1H, sort of tells me that your somewhat ok with the speed. A 1HZ would be a slight improvement (26 more kilowatts i believe) and it's basically bulletproof. It will see out the life of the car no dramas if serviced correctly

I'm assuming your from USA. So all the diesels will be somewhat difficult for parts.
1HZ is by far easiest for parts, pretty sure you can still buy them brand new.
But they are slow. Probably fast compared to your 1H but slow compared to the speed Americans drive at.

The turbo motors are all great. But they are very expensive and if your buying second hand it is pretty hard to tell what condition it'll be in. If it needs a rebuild it gets pretty eye watering.

Because you are even considering rebuilding the 1H, sort of tells me that your somewhat ok with the speed. A 1HZ would be a slight improvement (26 more kilowatts i believe) and it's basically bulletproof. It will see out the life of the car no dramas if serviced correctly
That’s good to know. Thank you!

Yeah I’m in the USA. But I’m not a fast driver. Even in my FJ Cruiser, that I can cruise at 80mph, traveling 2500 miles across the country I prefer taking the less traveled routes. Usually 60-65mph and that’s fine with me.
I think over that in these modified vehicles is risky. I also prefer stopping and taking my time. For me the journey is as much partof the experience as the destination.

At the same time, I don’t want to be so slow that I have a line of cars backed up behind me every five minutes.

If the 1HZ is bulletproof and better than the 1H that may be the best bet. I read they are very easy to work on. I have been thinking of taking a basic diesel class to learn more. Even though the 1HZ is not from here I will have a basic understanding of the diesel system.

Based on your criteria

2H/12HT - no, parts availability
1HDT - maybe, parts are getting harder
1HDTFE- ok, not sure about uphills in 2nd, in Kansas maybe and a little bit of Colorado. Not Banff.

Everything for a 1HD-T is still available. Every single part.

I read they are very easy to work on. I have been thinking of taking a basic diesel class to learn more.
This site is your class buddy, everything you need to know with pictures, tutorials, builds and the people who did it waiting to reply to your questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom