Detours Offroad Pintle Mount Swing out tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm disturbed by the mounting system. It needs more than just those 4 bolts and even those aren't square and tight due to the spacer plate thingy. Not knocking your work or the carrier itself. I think the product has some potential but it would have to be significantly beefed up, especially the mounting system before I would even consider feeling secure going down the road.

It is super solid. I know the pictures don't do it justice but at the mount there is 0 motion. It doesn't look square but it is. It is utilizing the 4 existing pintle mount holes. The back of the cross member has a slope to it if you take a look at yours so that is what may make you think it's not square. Like I said there is some motion in the unit itself when I hit a big bump but nothing more than a little vibration. For a 500 dollar option, which in my opinion is the most money that can be spent for something that simply carries a tire, it does a perfect job.

It just seems like a lot of weight and leverage centered in a very small area. I would think that with time and vibration, things would begin to fatigue and move. Time will tell, I suppose.
the pintle hook location's designed to take quite a bit... i mean people tow off of those things...
i bet it's plenty solid...

Not too shabby! Not exactly the way I would have done it (I probably would have had it extend just to one side rather than both sides), but looks good :cool:

thanks for sharing. don't forget to relocate your license plate

@Arkansas80 was last seen: Sep 30, 2016

:cry: I was also hoping for a long term update. Not a perfect option in my opinion, but certainly an attractive price point.

Just an observation, before anyone buys one of these mounts they may want to ask the maker where the lock is that holds the swinging arm in the open position. Maybe i missed it in the photos, but it sure doesn't seem like it comes with a lock. Now i know a lock to hold the swing arm open may not sound like an important consideration when your on level ground. But I''ll assure you, if you get stuck the wrong way on an incline, or off camber, and have to open the rear hatch for whatever reason, you'll be wishing it came with one then.

Just an observation, before anyone buys one of these mounts they may want to ask the maker where the lock is that holds the swinging arm in the open position. Maybe i missed it in the photos, but it sure doesn't seem like it comes with a lock. Now i know a lock to hold the swing arm open may not sound like an important consideration when your on level ground. But I''ll assure you, if you get stuck the wrong way on an incline, or off camber, and have to open the rear hatch for whatever reason, you'll be wishing it came with one then.

Mark, from Detours, sent me this pic of what he said is the newer version of the carrier.

E36ED129-18CD-462C-89D5-621A11AAF392.jpeg

Mark, from Detours, sent me this pic of what he said is the newer version of the carrier.

View attachment 1923620
From your photo i can clearly see the latch to lock the swing arm closed, but I'm still not seeing a lock, to lock the swing arm in the open position.

Below are a few photos of a swing away tire carrier mounted next to a Land Cruiser pintle hitch, in these photos you can clearly see the quick pin lock that is used to lock the swing arm in the open position.

This lock setup can lock the swing arm in 2 open positions, 110 degrees and 180 degrees.

Take note of another item included on this design, due to the weight of the swing arm with the tire in place this mount has a positive stop bracket welded in place. This stop will prevent the swing arm from being able to swing all the way around, and possibly damage the trucks body.

Last edited:
From your photo i can clearly see the latch to lock the swing arm closed, but I'm still not seeing a lock, to lock the swing arm in the open position.

Below are a few photos of a swing away tire carrier mounted next to a Land Cruiser pintle hitch, in these photos you can clearly see the quick pin lock that is used to lock the swing arm in the open position.

This lock setup can lock the swing arm in 2 positions, 110 degrees and 180 degrees.

Take note of another item included on this design, due to the weight of the swing arm with the tire in place this mount has a positive stop bracket welded in place. This stop will prevent the swing arm from being able to swing all the way around, and possibly damage the trucks body.
View attachment 1924017

View attachment 1924020

View attachment 1924021

All very good points. Sorry, maybe I missed it but yours is home built or bought? Thanks.

All very good points. Sorry, maybe I missed it but yours is home built or bought? Thanks.

This swing away tire carrier was a one of a kind project. The project was mainly undertaken due to the fact that the owner wanted a swing away tire carrier for the up coming camping season.

But at that time almost every dealer was already sold out. And those dealers who still had stock on hand, had starting prices of around 1000 bucks, plus shipping.

Even the do it yourself kits that you weld together at home can be fairly expensive when you add together their purchase price, plus shipping costs.

Total material cost to fab this carrier including steel, bearings, wheel studs, mounting hardware, and quick pins was around $130 dollars.

Anymore pics ? Or anything else that could help me shamelessly steal your design?
Here are the last 2 photos i have, i hope they aid you in your quest to shamelessly steal my design. If you have any question just PM me, I'll see what i can do to help you build your own copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom