Delta Vehicle Systems ceiling storage options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alla,

Thanks for the info!

As an aside, what RTT do you have that it requires the ladder to be removed when not deployed? Sorry for the hijack but curiosity has the better of me.

I have a Columbus made by Autohome. You can place the ladder inside but I don't want to deal with knocking dirt off, placing in bag, etc. I just turn it upside down, then attach to the cargo barrier.

Looks great, thanks for posting pics!

Where did those bars that go from seatbelt to seatbelt come from?

That was something I did 13 years ago, I think. I used to have a Rottweiler who would stick half his torso out while driving. This was before the rear cargo drawer system so he had firm footing. It was humorous to see his head almost sticking past the roof line. So , use a 3/4" EMT conduit, flattened the ends then installed it. This discourage him from doing that and hopefully, discouraged people from trying to break in. It's good for cargo secure and also keeps the current Border Collie from falling out when he sticks his head out the window while standing on the cargo drawer platform. I need to lower it by six inches so that the med size dogs can use the bars against their chest as a way to stop them from falling out while wheeling. Note: no dogs fell out of those windows but I always worry about them. It's like the proverbial school bus back there while wheeling, the dogs can catch air back there at times!

Another side benefit is that I can step on the bars for the times I need to put extra weight on top of the RTT during closing. I don't do this often, only step on the bottom window sill usually.

The brackets are fantastic and the extra storage is great. Since I have a rear facing car seat in the middle row, I wanted to have something close off the back of the shelf similar to the CSR, just as an extra barricade to keep items in place. I found a wire shelf ledge on Amazon (it was $8 last week, $13 now) that suits the bill. For reference, I am using the 18x48 shelf from the container store. As I wasn't sure the 42" ledge shelf would fit, I also ordered two 18" sections ($4.50 last week, $9.45 now, so maybe the prices change frequently?) that offer more flexibility if I didn't want to cover the entire length.

Thanks again Delta for a great product. It's one of those little things that makes a noticeable difference.

IMG_20181003_154441.jpg
IMG_20181003_154444.jpg

So just had someone ask if the CSR fit above the second row seats because they have long since removed them and want storage in that area. Had never thought about it because not thinking...

Turns out the Rack won't fit because of the sunroof (so maybe poverty package folks win again??), but the kitchen sink rack with the Brackets DOES fit!! Check it out:

_MG_5442.jpg
_MG_5443.jpg
_MG_5444.jpg
_MG_5445.jpg
_MG_5446.jpg

Keep in mind this greatly reduces headroom back there (from the leading edge of the rear seat to the bottom of this rack is 28.25" if you want to try for yourself), so probably should be kept for rigs with no 2nd row. Also, hopefully obviously, waaaaay less storage in that zone too.

Not sure how it’ll work with the brackets, working on a solution that would add that functionality to the rack for folks who want it.

Hard to say if any of the Speski stuff would work with our products without having one of their deals in our shop.

Just curious if there was any update on using this storage rack with the Speski barrier?

Just curious if there was any update on using this storage rack with the Speski barrier?

I think people have used the brackets with success, but the rack/barrier combo I believe has been confirmed to not work. Because of that, we are still working on adding that functionality to the rack (a rear compartment divider, as well as side window shelves).

I think an enclosed second row box mounted with some brackets would be quite useful (various CB/VHF installations; radar detector or camera mounts; map lights) with the added benefit of no possibility of anything sliding down on the driver. The overhead shelf we never got.

I think an enclosed second row box mounted with some brackets would be quite useful (various CB/VHF installations; radar detector or camera mounts; map lights) with the added benefit of no possibility of anything sliding down on the driver. The overhead shelf we never got.
Bingo! If the measurements allow for enough headroom above my kids car seats then I will likely be going this route.

Bingo! If the measurements allow for enough headroom above my kids car seats then I will likely be going this route.

Will both of you explain what you’re looking for a little further please?

Perhaps...PM

So just had someone ask if the CSR fit above the second row seats because they have long since removed them and want storage in that area. Had never thought about it because not thinking...

Turns out the Rack won't fit because of the sunroof (so maybe poverty package folks win again??), but the kitchen sink rack with the Brackets DOES fit!! Check it out:

Keep in mind this greatly reduces headroom back there (from the leading edge of the rear seat to the bottom of this rack is 28.25" if you want to try for yourself), so probably should be kept for rigs with no 2nd row. Also, hopefully obviously, waaaaay less storage in that zone too.

I need to do this for my empty 2nd row. So, I'll order a second set of brackets and get the appropriate shelf. What is the "kitchen sink" rack? Is this a brand? Let me have the dimension please and I'll source one from my local used restaurant supply place.

thanks.

I need to do this for my empty 2nd row. So, I'll order a second set of brackets and get the appropriate shelf. What is the "kitchen sink" rack? Is this a brand? Let me have the dimension please and I'll source one from my local used restaurant supply place.

thanks.

That’s just what I call the kitchen rack see in all previous posts. The one in my last pics is the same shelf that was used above the third row. It’s a bit tighter to get in, but it went.

Will both of you explain what you’re looking for a little further please?
An aluminum T shaped shelf that ties into the roof in 3 places. The two 2nd row grab handles and up by the windshield where the mirror mounts. The 'leg' of the T running up to the front would be ideal for VHF/UHF radio placement, good map lights USB outlets etc. The 'Top' of the T above the 2nd row would be good for maps, books, blanket, more map lights etc.

This would of course interfere with the sunroof...but if you're anything like me it has been years since my sunroof was opened...no lost there.

I'd be interested to see such a product, or at least a mock up/rough potential cost. It's an area I've never really considered but I like the idea. I have no second or third row seats so clearance wouldn't be much of a factor for me, although enough people seem to that it would be worth considering.

I also don't used my sunroof but it seems like it could potentially still be useable, although with a slightly smaller viewing area that would be split in two.

Given the lighter load I'd consider for that location I'd be hard pressed not to attempt one myself out of wood instead of paying for a high end metal product. After I get around to my drawers and interior sleeping options, of course. :p

I think people have used the brackets with success, but the rack/barrier combo I believe has been confirmed to not work. Because of that, we are still working on adding that functionality to the rack (a rear compartment divider, as well as side window shelves).

I have a Speski barrier and Delta brackets up. I haven’t put a rack up yet though. The brackets and barrier do work together at least though...

I have a Speski barrier and Delta brackets up. I haven’t put a rack up yet though. The brackets and barrier do work together at least though...

Perfect! Thanks for verifying.

These are pretty cool, but I think pretty much all the US models had sunroofs, so most of them would be difficult to use over here.

There was a thread about an overhead storage unit that went the width of the vehicle but above the sun visors that might be a good alternative.

I have the third row seats in my 80, I like the idea of more storage up top, but peoples heads are already up at the ceiling in the third row, maybe its possible to build something only like 10" long behind the third, but I havent seen any pics in here yet.

Last edited:
These are pretty cool, but I think pretty much all the US models had sunroofs, so most of them would be difficult to use over here.

There was a thread about an overhead storage unit that went the width of the vehicle but above the sun visors that might be a good alternative.

I have the third row seats in my 80, I like the idea of more storage up top, but peoples heads are already up at the ceiling in the third row, maybe its possible to build something only like 10" long behind the third, but I havent seen any pics in here yet.

If there are people heads that high already, it seems like adding anything at all would be painful/dangerous proposition. It would suck pretty bad to come in contact with any firmly attached corners...

If there are people heads that high already, it seems like adding anything at all would be painful/dangerous proposition. It would suck pretty bad to come in contact with any firmly attached corners...

You mean like the middle row storage pictures above in the thread?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom