Decision Time - Am I Ready For A Frame Off Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dude! Really sorry to hear you were the definition of walking pneumonia. I would have guessed that either you've been breathing too much cruiser dust, or you got some strange smoke in your lungs when out of the country (ahem) ;).

Interesting that you have rheumatoid - my bro in law has psoriatic going on 20 years. He's 47. Shoulder replaced 13 years ago, several other surgeries.

Makes me respect the fact of how well you seem to take care of yourself and the fact that you are turning wrenches and grinding metal!

"But then I got well and came to my senses." - love it.

Glad to have you back.

Carry on.

I battled the tranny hump today and came out victorious. I had to trim a small section off of the shifter openings in order to fit it back in. I found an old thread by Ant-FJ where he fabbed up a cover to conceal the 'hacked up' tranny hump. That will be the route I will be going. In the meantime I was able to wrestle the tranny hump back into position.

I am using Davework cad plated bolts in the interior section and re-plated OEM bolts in the engine bay. I am undecided if I will use the stainless bolt kits from Cruisercorps on the exterior. Time will tell. It truly depends on what I have left when I get to it...

That is all I have to report for the few sweaty hours in the garage. Time to go grocery shopping.
image-4231354775.jpg
image-2700599968.jpg
image-1851134029.jpg
image-4051253994.jpg
image-2365323925.jpg

I know... Looking at the pictures the steering wheel does need some TLC. It is on the list.

Crap Chris, sorry to hear about the illness. But it looks like you're making some nice progress.

Keep us posted and let me know if you need anything. I'll root around and see if I can put together a Cruiser Care Package. Got a ton of misc parts laying around now.

Austin - Thanks for the kind words. No need for cruiser care packages. I am feeling almost 100%. And as far as the RA thing is concerned I have been very proactive with my treatment and it hasn't really effected my quality of life.

Four years ago I knew something wasn't right so I made a lot of changes on my life. I gave up drinking (which in hindsight was a blessing because of the interactions with my meds would be horrible), made regular visits to my doctors, took up cruisers as a hobby (madness) and recently started working out again.

VV - I forgot to mention that I went shopping yesterday for my electrolysis bucket supplies. I will be setting it up real soon.

VV - I forgot to mention that I went shopping yesterday for my electrolysis bucket supplies. I will be setting it up real soon.

Cool man. Me too. Got lots of spare rebar from our pool build, and a big blue tub from Wally mart. Ready to do my wheels, manifold, tranny case, etc.

Just checked the mailbox and Sam from Lowe's Toyota has come through with the knuckle studs and cone washers. I hope they fit.

Perhaps there will be a round two in the garage after dinner.

VV/Sarca - thanks for the electrolysis for dummies write up. That is also on deck for round two.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I am feeling much better except when I look at the hospital bill. Doh!

I got a few smaller ticket items squared away today; the rear harness is neatly tucked into position, cowl vent tubes and retaining brackets installed, several firewall and tub grommets were put in place and I started installing the Springtail M-PAC seat frames.

I unpacked the seat frames thinking it would be a straight forward replacement for the stock set up. I was a little off on my expectations. No biggie. I will have to drill two holes in the driver's side floor for the front brackets and then cut to fit the vertical/horizontal metal sections. The extra knee space will justify the two extra tub holes. Once everything is mocked up I will disassemble and throw some rattle can paint on the frames. I figure it will be much easier to touch up when they get scuffed and scratched up.

I am hoping to get with my mechanic for a consultation on some of the last items I need to get squared away before I start up the rig for the first time. Here is a list of the things I want to discuss:

Gauge cluster modifications - I will be buying the gauge bracket kit on MUD and I am trying to figure out if it would be better to use electrical or ammeter gauges with my Chevy 350 TBI. I have a howell harness for the engine and a stock harness for everything else Toyota.

Alternator wiring - this could be included above but I listed it as a separate item. I just want to confirm the wiring that needs to be set up.

VSS/Speedo set up - I need to get more knowledge about the NV4500 transmission and what needs to be set up on it prior to getting this thing up and running.

Driveline measurements/modifications - I need to get some measurements for the front and rear driveline shafts and then decide wether I should re-tube the stock pair I have or purchase new. I have a box of new spicer u-joints if I need them...

Chevy 350 radiator/heater line configuration - the 350 block has one inlet on the rear passenger side while the water pump does not have one. This lends me to believe that I will have to add a 'T' to the radiator line to route back to the radiator. I just want to confirm the approach.

I am sure I can drone on and on with action items for this list... I have another list called the half-assed attempt list. This is the list of mini projects I need to do over or do better. They are;

Parking Brake - my first attempt resulted in an epic fail. I need to pull it all apart and try again. The pads do not engage the drum when the handle is pulled. I need to read trollhole's write up and tackle this one again.

Cross over arm install - this one should have been a no-brainier but I effed it up. I can't seem to get the knuckle studs completely seated which does not allow the cross over arm to lay flush. This needs to be pulled apart and re-done. My main concern is messing up my new TRE's in the process. Arghh!

Tomorrow is another day and hopefully I can widdle this list down.

I am done mocking up the frames. I need to get some angle iron to finish up the slider mechanisms and then they will be ready for a fresh coat of paint.

**Edit** I left the rear passenger side iron full length until I decide how I am going to mount the Tuffy console.
image-1931823508.jpg
image-4072214336.jpg
image-2715602990.jpg
image-3756692218.jpg
image-2457120821.jpg

Last edited:
Inching closer on those seat frames being done.
image-4054756678.jpg
image-2684906200.jpg
image-658177681.jpg
image-3888190160.jpg

Last edited:
These seat frames have been a source of frustration for me. I have installed them, uninstalled them, measured, cut and recut more times than I care to mention. Two new holes in the tub floor... The only saving grace is that the seats now go back far enough to give me (and the passenger) more leg room. Would I buys these again? Probably not.

These seat frames have been a source of frustration for me. I have installed them, uninstalled them, measured, cut and recut more times than I care to mention. Two new holes in the tub floor... The only saving grace is that the seats now go back far enough to give me (and the passenger) more leg room. Would I buys these again? Probably not.

Good to know. Thanks for the review Chris.

Finally done. On to the next item on the list.
image-3233228334.jpg
image-199711058.jpg
image-1254500718.jpg
image-3688655506.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom