Decision Time - Am I Ready For A Frame Off Restoration (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These should look familiar.. Another four holes in the tub and in goes the seat frame and then the rear back seats.
image-3951734187.jpg
image-4138321288.jpg
image-1053563265.jpg

Public Service Message:

Flash rust is a killer.

image-2074752288.jpg

Real Steel Tailgate Panel

image-549360536.jpg

Modified barn door brackets
image-2074752288.jpg
image-549360536.jpg

Boring update to follow:

I am quickly going to run out of small projects soon and then be forced to deal with the 'list'. Today's hit parade included; installing aftermarket front seat belts, installing the body mount pads and finally getting my electrolysis system up and running..

Capturing some photos of a few projects:

image-349588100.jpg

The ECU has been tucked away inside of the glovebox and the ALDL link & 12v Ignition Feed have been mounted on the firewall. The check engine light will be mounted on the dash (not sure where yet).

image-4166461815.jpg

The fuel pump has been wired up for power. This area in the engine bay is getting a little crowded looking for my liking...

image-2451363876.jpg

Fuel pump weather pack connector all set.

image-3364652042.jpg

Mounting location of the auxiliary fuse box. This is a Blue Sea 5035.
image-349588100.jpg
image-4166461815.jpg
image-2451363876.jpg
image-3364652042.jpg

Last edited:
The list is being chipped away. This weekend I will be focusing on designing a clean/neat battery cable installation that allows for several outputs to the auxiliary fuse box and the altenator. I went ahead and purchased a Kicker Battery Terminal Clamp that will allow on 4 gauge and two 8 guage outputs for my set up..

I contemplated building some custom battery cables so that I could set up the Flaming River Battery Disconnect but I opted to get a used set off of eBay. My plan of attack is as follows:

1. Kicker Terminal Clamp connected to the positive battery post and then 4 gauge battery cable to the Flaming River Disconnect and then finally to starter.
3. 8 gauge to fusable link and then onto the Delco Remy altenator.
4. 8 gauge to 60 am fuse to Blue Sea auxiliary fuse block in glovebox. I have the necessary jumpers and relay to set up several slots to the ignition. The other slots will be always hot.

I had my mechanic come over for a consultation and he wants to focus on getting the electrical system connected so we can test both harnesses and determine where they will need to overlap. Once I get the small list ablove completed I will be testing all of the Toyota peripherals handled by the stock harness; lights, wipers, dash components.

The biggest project is replacing the clutch pressure plate with a low profile Centerforce one. The rest is nitty gritty.

Updates:

image-3732642941.jpg

Kicker +\- Battery Terminals installed.

image-2506903978.jpg

Alternator, starter and auxiliary outputs nice and neat.

image-1387194316.jpg

Terminal post for further splitting of auxiliary power to Toyota harness, Howell harness and auxiliary fuse box in glove box.

image-2544828953.jpg

Flaming river battery disconnect.
image-3732642941.jpg
image-2506903978.jpg
image-1387194316.jpg
image-2544828953.jpg

Updates:

Kicker +\- Battery Terminals installed.

Alternator, starter and auxiliary outputs nice and neat.

Terminal post for further splitting of auxiliary power to Toyota harness, Howell harness and auxiliary fuse box in glove box.

Flaming river battery disconnect.

What is zis red color in your engine compartment comrade?

Busted. I am a sleeper cell from the Cold War era. No really, I just didn't think about the color coordination of the power cables off of the battery. I can, and probably will, lume the lower gauge wires.

Busted. I am a sleeper cell from the Cold War era. No really, I just didn't think about the color coordination of the power cables off of the battery. I can, and probably will, lume the lower gauge wires.

Just giving you grief about the paint color in the engine bay.

Good job on finding a place for the flaming river cutoff.

Small victory to report: temporarily hooked up the flaming river to starter connection and turned on the lights and they worked.

Update: Phase 1 of electrical work is done. The stock Toyota harness supplies power to everything that is powered by it.

Wipers - I had initially plugged in the connector backwards so off was on and on was off. It now works correctly and the wipers self park when shut off.

Headlights - Hi and Low beams work as they should.

Turn Signals - I had to splice the three bullet connection down to two bullets to accommodate the 75 harness. Blink, blink, blink success all around the horn.

Hazards - they were mis-wired for my year harness connector so two splices later and they work. Sweet! I hope I never use them.

Gauge Cluster - I swapped out the stock cluster with one using the Amaurer set up. All lights work as they should. I will be setting up the new gauges to work with my 350.

Tomorrow morning Matt is coming over to start helping with the engine harness. We should be wiring up the alternator and AC compressor. I am sure I will have a new list of things to do...

Sent by my fancy IOS 7 IPhone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom