Decision Time - Am I Ready For A Frame Off Restoration (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VV - Gozzard is a high end yacht maker who also moonlights in the fiberglass FJ40 tub/body panels/hard top business. Here is a link to their website: http://gozzardcomposites.com/aboutus.html. They really make some nice stuff if you are not building a period correct restoration.

Fj401978 - Yes, I am at full capacity right now. I have parts all over the house and I am trying to keep them organized. I don't know how but alot of really cool new stuff keeps going from Bigger Blue's pile to the diesel pile???

Last edited:
76 update - I am having the alternator rebuilt (190 amp) and converting my electrical fan to a pull configuration. Then on to the rest of the shake down list. Gauges, exhaust, ECU codes...

Update:

Bigger Blue has been moving under its own power albeit very rough. Initially it was thought that the timing was off and the lack of an exhaust system/connected O2 sensor caused fuel delivery to be to rich. Matt has been working directly with Howell Motor Sports in deciphering the ECU codes.

2nd shake down run proved successful. Adjustment of the timing has resolved the rough idle issue and the engine is running cool. Per Howell Motors the O2 sensor is not mandatory but since we are adding a custom exhaust the thought is to add the needed bung for the sensor.

This week we will diagnose all gauges to ensure functionality and finally get the steering arms securely in place after the trunion bearing replacement. I also have to get the vehicle VIN number inspected to properly register the 40 and get a GA title.

Once this is done I can move along to final paint prep.

A frame off restoration means dif things to dif people: If you are going to do one, be aware, many "frame offs" end up exactly that: Its off the frame and never gets put back together : I have seen allot of frame offs never get completed. It gets expensive, time consuming and as the project goes along and as more problems get uncovered, and as life gets more time consuming, many frame offs end up never get completed

Consider the following:

1. Do you really have the time to do one, and do it right?
2. Do you have the $$$ to support number 1 above (Going original will cost big money for missing or parts that need fix/restored
3. Do you have the space
4. Do you have the space dedicated so you don't have to move it every now and then, or feel like the project is "In the way"

#3/4 above: If you have to move it, you will loose track of parts. Your space should be dedicated to the project

I really recommend that if its safe and you can drive it, then do just that. Enjoy it, and restore the stuff that you can do yourself in a weekend every now and then, and then drive it

Frame offs can make you loose interest quickly

But if your heart is set on one, you can learn to do many of the restoration steps yourself. Go to the net, book store, and start learning and you can save time and $$$ and have sense of satisfaction as the project goes on

A frame off restoration means dif things to dif people: If you are going to do one, be aware, many "frame offs" end up exactly that: Its off the frame and never gets put back together : I have seen allot of frame offs never get completed. It gets expensive, time consuming and as the project goes along and as more problems get uncovered, and as life gets more time consuming, many frame offs end up never get completed

Consider the following:

1. Do you really have the time to do one, and do it right?
2. Do you have the $$$ to support number 1 above (Going original will cost big money for missing or parts that need fix/restored
3. Do you have the space
4. Do you have the space dedicated so you don't have to move it every now and then, or feel like the project is "In the way"

#3/4 above: If you have to move it, you will loose track of parts. Your space should be dedicated to the project

I really recommend that if its safe and you can drive it, then do just that. Enjoy it, and restore the stuff that you can do yourself in a weekend every now and then, and then drive it

Frame offs can make you loose interest quickly

But if your heart is set on one, you can learn to do many of the restoration steps yourself. Go to the net, book store, and start learning and you can save time and $$$ and have sense of satisfaction as the project goes on

Wow.

...via IH8MUD app

All excellent points.

I took Bigger Blue out for a drive around the industrial park where Matt's shop is located. The NV4500 took some getting used to after not driving stick for a year or more. Needless to say , it was a blast driving this beast.

So for those visual people, here are some photos of what was finally accomplished to get us to this point...

Trunion Bearing swapped out

download_20140628_181118.jpeg

ARB fittings installed and lines run

download_20140628_181144.jpeg

Oil Pressure Gauge - Functional

download_20140628_181027.jpeg

AMP Gauge - Functional

Next on deck:

Temperature Gauge - Need to confirm with Howell if we can splice into exist into existing coolant temp power source

Fuel Gauge - not operational.

Speedometer - Not operational

Last edited:
A bit of an update: last year was pretty tough. My employer of 16 years went thru a reduction in workforce and laid off about 10% of the division I worked for. I made the cut but was transitioned to 100% travel consulting with clients. This killed my personal time and all but eliminated working on my cruisers. My mechanic was spending less and less time on bigger blue and it just sat. Parts never got powder coated and issues were left lingering. He was since asked to vacate his shop. She is tucked away at the shop just waiting to be finished.

All she needs is a working fuel sender/gauge, an exhaust system and then some body work and paint. I spent the last few weeks sorting through parts and thinning the herd. I am hoping to have her back on the road shortly. The great news is I have the title in hand and it is now insured by Haggerty. Small victories.

Dusting off this thread,... I went to the shop today to deliver a skid plate so that Matt can route the exhaust properly. Outside of the exhaust and plugging a transfer case weep I am going to call this done. It has been sitting at the shop for over a year and a half and it is time for her to come home. I plan on rolling this one in as soon as the BJ42 rolls out to Trollhole's shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom