Death of a 3UR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sure it’s Blackmon Imports in High Point NC. The owners a great guy, and also way into Cruisers.
Thanks for posting this. I've been trying to parse out which shops in the state are "good" and which ones to steer clear of. I know I don't like dragging people publicly as I don't like ruining someone's business, but good to learn from others' experience as it helps drive good work to good people.

I just found this on youtube, and 5 minutes in he pulls out a broken spring...didn't say year or tundra/seq/lc.
Edit: just saw someone posted the same video a few pages back

If nothing else pulling the valve covers and looking for dark springs could be much less invasive than changing them all as PM.

Any word on whether the dark color is common to broken springs? or just the case here?

If nothing else pulling the valve covers and looking for dark springs could be much less invasive than changing them all as PM.

Any word on whether the dark color is common to broken springs? or just the case here?
Mine looked normal color

Seems there's at least a couple of instances of this. I've read this thread and a couple of others, and I apologize if the answer was there and I missed it, but in any of these cases was white smoke present at the exhaust? Like, heavy blown head gasket white smoke?

Looks like we have an eerily similar situation with our 2010, but, based on the white smoke on ours I would have bet it was a head gasket. After reading all these similar threads, though, the VSC/CEL/4Lo/rough idle/seemingly seized commonalities have me thinking it's worse than just the head gasket.

Just spitballing here but, these motors in the videos had what looked like" dirt "deposits along the inside. Wondering if there were many short trips where the motors didn't heat up enough to clean them off or perhaps the antifreeze should have been changed earlier to avoid the excess heat..

Seems there's at least a couple of instances of this. I've read this thread and a couple of others, and I apologize if the answer was there and I missed it, but in any of these cases was white smoke present at the exhaust? Like, heavy blown head gasket white smoke?

Looks like we have an eerily similar situation with our 2010, but, based on the white smoke on ours I would have bet it was a head gasket. After reading all these similar threads, though, the VSC/CEL/4Lo/rough idle/seemingly seized commonalities have me thinking it's worse than just the head gasket.
Not in my case.

No, not in my case either.

Interesting (informative) read. I have a friend who owns a 2010 Sequoia, 3UR, with the TRD supercharger on it. His developed a cyl. 1 dead miss, and zero compression. It looked to be valvetrain-related, but the valve springs looked fine. He has never fixed it (it just sits in his driveway as far as i know...lol) but it makes me want to get it back in just to see if i had missed something. Thanks to the OP and others for chiming in on their experiences. Because while we as dealer techs see many things under warranty, once they are out of warranty, most of these issues don't reach us until the customer has exhausted every independent shop's knowledge limit. So again, thank you for the insight!

My saga continues. We are engine #4 for anyone keeping track. A quick recap because I didn't update my troubles post-swap as it was not relevant to the original discussion but here we go:
#1: The beloved factory original. Death by valve spring failure (9050133030) and internal damage.
#2: Wrong engine sent. Suspect it was a Tundra motor though labeled as LX570.
#3: Installed LC motor. It went back to the dealership for a few immediate issues from the swap that were handled. These included a coolant leak from a rolled o-ring and busted CV. Really should have been seen before returning the vehicle but I give them the benefit of the doubt since it was non-stop raining that week. At 500 miles I wanted to do some due diligence myself in pulled the skids to inspect better. Found another coolant leak at the water pump (new pump had been used) and an ominous problem when I pulled the oil filter to inspect for any debris. When I removed the filter housing drain it had a blue o-ring. I had used the TRD filters on the original motor and this appear to be left over from that. No biggy, right, just an o-ring. However, when I dropped the filter, it was my original filter instead of a fresh one.

The dealership claimed they had done 2 cycles of oil changes on the used motor. Only one oil change was listed on the invoice, but still, the part number for the filter used was the standard filter that would be expected. Also considering that the TRD was not available at the time, I know because I was approaching 5K miles and had looked for this filter when getting supplies for an upcoming oil change, there was no doubt that they never changed the filter when they swapped the filter housing onto the new motor. I popped a fresh filter in and took it back to the dealership.

They identified 2 issues. First, the coolant leak was caused by overzealous surface prep on the timing cover that caused a wavy (their term) surface that was preventing the water pump from sealing. Second, while addressing the first, the techs identified a lower end knock caused by a bad crank bearing. They agreed this was related to the oil filter not being replaced, either oil starvation or unfiltered bypass oil, that ruined a good motor in 500 miles.

#4: Warrantying that motor through the engine source has been a disaster. After months of delays and lies, we finally got a motor last week. We inspected it from the outside and could tell that head work had been done to one side because of signs of a valve job. Yesterday they started to put it together and found that they can not even thread in a spark plug on #2. We suspect that this was the original motor that went back as a core, and was repaired. The supplier denies it, but either way, I am anticipating more time with the dealership today.
Filter.jpg

Valve springs as PM starting to look more reasonable.

Sorry to hear all this, I hope it gets corrected soon.

Is it possible for Toyota to cross reference the serial number of the engine to your original VIN? Or did they grind that off?

Since the dealer caused the failure of motor #3 why aren't they warrantying it? It's not the suppliers problem that the dealer f'ed up the water pump sealing surface and didn't replace the oil filter....

Is it possible for Toyota to cross reference the serial number of the engine to your original VIN? Or did they grind that off?
Is all of this being covered by any warranty/dealer? Sorry you are going through all this. I can imagine this is beyond frustrating.

It's still the exception I think. I just seem to have a jinx.
Since the dealer caused the failure of motor #3 why aren't they warrantying it? It's not the suppliers problem that the dealer f'ed up the water pump sealing surface and didn't replace the oil filter....
That's my stance now, but allowed them to go ahead with swapping out for another supposed low-mileage used motor. Seemed fair at the time, but the situation has devolved since. It is true though, warranty would apply to if the motor was bad from the start. It was a good motor that was damaged due to mistakes during the labor that I paid for.

Is all of this being covered by any warranty/dealer? Sorry you are going through all this. I can imagine this is beyond frustrating.
So far. I have been in a loaner Highland Hybrid since the fall, but they have not gone as far as offering a shortblock buildup. We have to figure something else out now.

As a tech I know how difficult it is to get the correct engine. I once ordered 3 engines for a tundra before I got one that wasn't blown up. The first one ran but with a severe rod knock. The next two were seized and would not turn over. 4th engine worked fine. On a Tacoma I ordered 2 engines. The first one was supposed to be 5000 miles but it had been completely taken apart by the salvage yard and was leaking coolant into the engine oil. Second one was fine. Sorry to hear of all your troubles.

@Bryanseye Very sorry about all the headache surrounding this.

@Bryanseye is there a reason that you used a dealership?
By recommendation of a trusted Cruiser shop after I started there. It made sense; not a lot of availability for this motor beyond Tundra/Sequoia, the dealership has more experience working on 3UR's, and he was backed up for months with real Land Cruisers (my joke, not his words), and the dealership is a sponsor of the local Cruiser club. The techs I met seemed like good folks, but they ultimately screwed it up. Now I am in the catch 22 of a dealership having more resources to make the problem right, but also being an aggressive profit model business that has teams of people to figure out ways to not expend any of those resources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom