Dealership won't install front lift spacers on the 2016 due to Dynamic Radar Cruise Control liability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Weird. I'm in Charleston also. My neighbor bought a Tundra a few months ago and the dealer installed a two inch lift and charged him $800 to re calibrate the sensors. Not sure which dealer but it was a Toyota dealer.

Weird. I'm in Charleston also. My neighbor bought a Tundra a few months ago and the dealer installed a two inch lift and charged him $800 to re calibrate the sensors. Not sure which dealer but it was a Toyota dealer.

The dealer told me that if you buy the absolute base model Tundra or Tacoma- that doesn't have the collision control sensors- then they will install lifts.
It's all about dodging the liability.

The dealer told me that if you buy the absolute base model Tundra or Tacoma- that doesn't have the collision control sensors- then they will install lifts.
All trim level 2018+ Tundra/Tacoma models have TSS-P/DRCC/MMWR, so that's wrong...

Sorry, I didn't mean for that to read rudely. I'd support Bud Built if I were you since your in the general region.

I'd support Bud Built if I were you since your in the general region.

Rob (@Taco2Cruiser) did mine, great job, he's very thorough. If you call Blue Ridge Tire in the morning (just a mile or so up the road), they will take you right in when you show up. Excellent alignment. Flip the tech a tenner before he starts so he takes a little extra time on it.

Rob (@Taco2Cruiser) did mine, great job, he's very thorough. If you call Blue Ridge Tire in the morning (just a mile or so up the road), they will take you right in when you show up. Excellent alignment. Flip the tech a tenner before he starts so he takes a little extra time on it.
Rob is definitely your guy

Or buy a jack and some wrenches and stop relying on shops for easy jobs. :)

stupid really, but like all "incident-learned lawyering" not uncommon. doesnt make sense given there are toyota P/Ns on the spacers.

IIRC, there is a procedure for aligning the DRCC in some document I read (maybe FSM?)
It makes complete sense. Just because Toyota sells a part like the spacers doesn't mean that it is compatible, in their eyes, with any specific vehicle's set of existing options. That is why we see convoluted (at least to the consumer) options packages.

He must have hit it before they started that. His was a decked out TRD. I was shocked that it was $800 to align the sensors. He did say that it took them several hours to do.

On a side note check out Low Country Land Cruisers and Upstate Cruisers on the clubhouse page. Lots of mechanical and wheeling experience in the clubs and we do HAMOM's where we get together and work on trucks. We just put a 2" lift on my 200. If you are the least bit mechanically inclined the spacers wouldn't be hard to do.

Speaking of Toyota dealers, I got a hard no from my local Toy dealer for routine 'factory maintenance' on my LX. They said they had a corporate restriction that all Lexi had to go to Lexus and that was that. That said, my Lexus service writer was amazing. But still a pain to go far when there is a Toy deal next door.

Lift spacers are now on the front courtesy of McIntosh Imports. Took less than 3 hours and was $349.
My 2016 looks and drives beautifully. Big tires and the lift spacer have added a couple of inches of height and I'm very happy with the outcome.

Did that cost include an alignment? Or just the installation of spacers that you provided?

just the install.
Getting the alignment done next week.
Make sure your headlights get aimed as well. Your LEDs have a very sharp cut off and will blind people pretty easily with the nose higher and no adjustment to make up for it.

Look forward to after pics.

Speaking of Toyota dealers, I got a hard no from my local Toy dealer for routine 'factory maintenance' on my LX. They said they had a corporate restriction that all Lexi had to go to Lexus and that was that. That said, my Lexus service writer was amazing. But still a pain to go far when there is a Toy deal next door.
Taking my LX to Toyota tomorrow for first time. I moved and the nearest Lexus is 3.5 hrs away. So much for Certified.

The before and after pics are below.

Added 275/70R18 Wrangler Duratracs and a small front spring spacer (Toyota Part No.: 43136-60020)

Had some rubbing in the front when reversing/turning before the spacer went on- but no rubbing now.

Sits up higher, looks more level, and drives exactly the same as it did before. Very happy with the result.

2016 LC before.jpg
2016 LC after.jpg

The before and after pics are below.

Added 275/70R18 Wrangler Duratracs and a small front spring spacer (Toyota Part No.: 43136-60020)

Had some rubbing in the front when reversing/turning before the spacer went on- but no rubbing now.

Sits up higher, looks more level, and drives exactly the same as it did before. Very happy with the result.

View attachment 2265946View attachment 2265947

Looking good 👍 I also got oem front spacers and 275/70/18 but Wildpeak AT3W. Still got slight rub at almost full lock in reverse. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to touch the fender liner but I guess I’ll be taking out the heat gun.

Independent Toyota shop also advised me about the lift possibly affecting the radar cruise control. They weren’t too concerned since it’s just about an inch over.

DD8CE85B-D700-4BF1-BC91-30A9E68FC02B.jpeg

I just got mine back after having the spacers installed. The service tech called me after I dropped it off asking why I wanted these installed and I expected them to quote the “won’t work with radar CC” statement. Oddly enough, he actually told me that he had his master technician there with him and he said they’ve never installed these before and. It would be double the quoted price because they would have to disassemble the electronic suspension system and recalibrate it and that could open up a whole can of worms. I asked if he was talking about the KDSS and he said I don’t have KDSS. I explained I did so he had to look up the VIN to verify and said I have a off-road KDSS. I also told him many others have paid the original quoted price for this installation, but I wasn’t going to pay over $1000 in labor so forget it. He called me back 10 mins later and said they would do the install and eat the difference in price, but it would take a day and a half for installation. I agreed and they had it done by end of day. I’m glad it worked out in the end, because I like the look without the front end lean, but if I had to do it again, I don’t think it would be worth the trouble for anesthetic reason and to hope to avoid tire rub putting on 33” tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom