Dealership won't install front lift spacers on the 2016 due to Dynamic Radar Cruise Control liability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dropped off the 2016 LC at Hendrick Toyota this morning for the front lift spacer install.
They called me 90 mins later to say that they won't install the lift spacer for liability concerns around the dynamic radar cruise control. There is concern that if it's lifted at all that the sensor won't be aligned to prevent a collision.

Apparently it's a Hendrick policy after they got sued when the DRCC didn't prevent a collision on another Land Cruiser.

This basically means that the dealership won't install any kind of lift on an LC, Tundra, or Tacoma if it has the DRCC. I'm baffled by it.

Has anyone seen or heard of this before?

I know other shops can install the lift spacers- but my preference is for the dealer to do it (warranty). They were also supposed to be putting on 275/70/18 DuraTracs today and they're now telling me that the tires won't fit without the lift spacer.....

The last statement in particular is a clear indicator that they don't know what they are talking about.

"be a sheeple, stay in the lines, don't change anything" say their lawyers

Take it somewhere else. Take it up to BudBuilt.

stupid really, but like all "incident-learned lawyering" not uncommon. doesnt make sense given there are toyota P/Ns on the spacers.

IIRC, there is a procedure for aligning the DRCC in some document I read (maybe FSM?)

stupid really, but like all "incident-learned lawyering" not uncommon. doesnt make sense given there are toyota P/Ns on the spacers.

IIRC, there is a procedure for aligning the DRCC in some document I read (maybe FSM?)

The 2020 FSM has a section that falls under Engine then Cruise Control then Millimeter Radar Radar Sensor then Adjustment. The description of how to calibrate shows that it applies from 2016 to 2020.

In one part it says to align the height of the SST (its a radar reflector) with the center of the radar sensor, so I don't see how a lift would impact. Also there is mention of vertical and horizontal adjustments, so unless rake was changed radically I don't see how this could impact proper adjustment.

The 2020 FSM has a section that falls under Engine then Cruise Control then Millimeter Radar Radar Sensor then Adjustment. The description of how to calibrate shows that it applies from 2016 to 2020.

In one part it says to align the height of the SST (its a radar reflector) with the center of the radar sensor, so I don't see how a lift would impact. Also there is mention of vertical and horizontal adjustments, so unless rake was changed radically I don't see how this could impact proper adjustment.

That's really helpful. Thanks LBridges.
I called the other dealership in Charleston a few mins ago and they said they can't put lifts of any kind on LCs, Tundras, or Tacomas with the radar sensors. Said that it's a directive from corporate.

So they will sell you the parts- they just won't install them/accept liability. Doesn't make any sense!

Guess I'll be taking the truck to Lextech or McIntosh for them to do the install.

ha, bumping land cruisers sounds just up the alley of Hendrick Motorsports... rubbing is racing!

I bought a used LC with ~50K from single previous owner. The truck was sold by Toyota of Kootentai, MT. Prior to the purchase, I'd printed out Toyota's service records on the truck. First or second entry was about adding a 2" lift prior to delivery, and the last item was removal of the lift a week or 2 prior to my purchase.

I found a few pine needles around the under-truck sheet metal, but no scratches...appeared to fire road driving v. rock crawling. No burps in the service records as to radar cruise. OT a bit, radar cruise is useless in the mountains, especially pulling a trailer. Normal cruise control and manual shifting work a lot better and save your brakes.

Last edited:
So if you put two adults and a bunch of gear in the back and it subsequently levels the vehicle or even creates the "Cali-lean" is radar cruise control no longer effective?

Of course it's not. So they won't install spacers, but they'll do an entire custom truck with garbage parts at maximum profit? Oh absolutely.

Further proof of my statement: The Worst Part Of Owning A Land Cruiser Is The Toyota Dealership

So if you put two adults and a bunch of gear in the back and it subsequently levels the vehicle or even creates the "Cali-lean" is radar cruise control no longer effective?

Of course it's not. So they won't install spacers, but they'll do an entire custom truck with garbage parts at maximum profit? Oh absolutely.

Further proof of my statement: The Worst Part Of Owning A Land Cruiser Is The Toyota Dealership

True story Mooney. They're a bunch of clowns.

Hendricks of Fayetteville, NC installs lifts....not sure why they won't in SC.

^ that 2016 blue/terra they have looks nice.

FYI. The side airbags deployed in this one. Great color combination.

Dealer at Toyota of Marin installed my spacers on my 2020. And also fixed the KDSS lean which it had after.

yeah- it's a Hendrick corporate position they've taken on no longer doing lifts on trucks with the collision avoidance system.
Hendrick North Charleston said their specific dealership wasn't sued- but one of the Hendrick Toyota dealerships in their network was. The other Charleston Toyota dealership (Fred Anderson) followed suit shortly thereafter on not doing lifts for fear of being sued.
Even if you sign a waiver- they just won't do it.
I've got an independent shop doing the lift spacers next Tuesday. 275 75 18 DuraTracs are on and look great- just need to get this thing level now.

I had a dealer initially say they could not calibrate my DRCC because I have a TJM T13 front bumper. The reason was feared liability associated with non Toyota parts potentially affecting a safety system. They eventually got over that and did the work after some discussion with the service manager. As part of the discussion he mentioned as an example that they would not install a lift on a vehicle with DRCC

What is funny is that the same dealer is currently installing my BP-51. When I accidentally messed up my KDSS and needed the dealer to flush and refill it, I asked if they would install the BP-51 as part of the work and they didn’t bring up the DRCC.

I won’t be surprised if they ask me to sign a waiver. If they do, I will, as I wouldn’t sue anyone if I crashed because my DRCC didn’t slow me down. If that happened, it would be my fault for relying on DRCC to pay attention instead of me.

It is a Toyota direct order to not modify height on any vehicle with DRCC / millimeter radar sensor. We waive all liability once we do. That’s why I rarely work on used vehicles unless I really trust someone. New vehicles, not a big deal because I can hold complete indemnification on my warranty product which I pack in the labor. Everybody wins. Any dealer who does not transfer liability is playing with fire and should probably not be lifting vehicles. Spacers or otherwise. Not worth losing your enterprise for minimal gain.

It is a Toyota direct order to not modify height on any vehicle with DRCC / millimeter radar sensor. We waive all liability once we do. That’s why I rarely work on used vehicles unless I really trust someone. New vehicles, not a big deal because I can hold complete indemnification on my warranty product which I pack in the labor. Everybody wins. Any dealer who does not transfer liability is playing with fire and should probably not be lifting vehicles. Spacers or otherwise. Not worth losing your enterprise for minimal gain.
I understand, completely agree and would do the same thing in your/a dealer’s shoes in regards to the spacer lift based on that info.

The problem in this case is they put it up on the lift and did 2/3 of the work agreed to THEN let the customer know that the spacers aren’t going on. So this customer would not have done any of the work there had he known that ahead of time.

Not your problem of course just flapping my gums - interesting and unfortunate strategy this dealership took. I won’t be doing any business with them going forward as I live in the same town as the OP.

All good/1st world country problems/life goes on. Interesting conversation tho.

Especially when it’s an LX and the nearest damn dealership is 3 hours away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom