Dead 1fzfe, what now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1996 FJ80 in Portland, Oregon. It has 170,000mi. It just spun a rod bearing. It didn't smoke or use oil. My mistake was buying a LC that had poor maintance. So my question is what are my options for price on rebuild?

1. what is the usual R+R for engine removal and replacment, from toyota and from local shops?

2. What can you get a good rebuilt bottom end for and who does a good job?

Any info on this subject very appreciated and will make you a nice guy for replying. Thanks. :beer:

Just a benchmark for you, friend of mine had a warped/cracked block. He got a new block, head, and many other major parts and through a dealership with discounted parts and labor he was out around $9k.

A new short block lists for $3,384.68 in the crate. Plus a whole bunch of stuff.

I'd say at least $6k to build the one you have, up to Cory's figure of north of $9k with a new block.

There is at least 40 hours labor at 80 bucks or more.

Your a great canidate for a diesel conversion :)

sell it! its junk now. i'll take it off your hands for a measly $500. jk. i vote on a deisel

portland is definitely close enough to think about a diesel conversion from the Canadians. You could just about do one for $US9k. Your rig will definitely be worth more with a diesel in it than a rebuilt 1fz. Try radd cruisers or G&S in the vendor section.

Thankyou for all your replys. I would like to do the Diesel conversion but there are so many variables. How big of a money pit will I have and how well will it work? The Chevy 6.2 would be the cheapest I think. I bought a used one for my suburban for $800. Would it be easyer to put in a Toyota diesel?

If you pull and install the motor and let the machine shop do its thing, you can save a ton of money. $2500 or less.

there are always old FZJ motors on ebay --

-- though once bitten --

-- sorry to hear this --

-- what poor maintenance do you think the motor had?

e

I would go either with diesel or a small block chevy.

go to the international cruiser section to ask about using a toyota diesel. there is some serious expertise over there about this issue.

24Jun2005 (UTC +8)

acylon said:
Thankyou for all your replys. I would like to do the Diesel conversion but there are so many variables. How big of a money pit will I have and how well will it work? The Chevy 6.2 would be the cheapest I think. I bought a used one for my suburban for $800. Would it be easyer to put in a Toyota diesel?

You can start with info from:
http://cruisers.shoumatoffmedia.com/cummins.html

...then additional info can be had in our International Section.

Better yet,
PM lacruiser
He is looking to buy an FZJ80 with a blown engine.
Option 1 sell it
Option 2 - He is looking for one to do a diesel conversion and knows people that have done about 20 with good results.

If you're decent with a wrench you can buy a low milage Japanese take-out 1FZE for about 4K complete (we're talking <40K miles). Unless your really good with a wrench I would steer away from a rebuild - these suckers get expensive in a hurry, and labor on top is a killer. I'd seriously look into a 1HZ/1HDT conversion - you'd have a really desirable truck when you were done (of course you'd have some cash in it) and it would last forever.

Another option is a small block V8 swap using Mark's adapter from Aus ... pretty decent setup as well.

Good luck!

Tucker

well, fwiw, it seems like there is a ton of 40s out there with V8s and it does not seem to make them less attractive for resale. So unless there is some fundamental difference in the difficulty of the swap, the basic idea of a swap may be OK economically I guess.

Drive in, drive out is anywhere from $7k-$8k. If you re-use your block, you have more machining costs and build costs, but less in parts. Re-using your block might save you about $1k. The catch is, there is normally other things that go with that, for example compromised cooling system that led to engine failure etc.

Unfortunatelly there are not a large donor base for low mileage motors. I have heard of people using the Japanese option with sucsess. Also, you can get a complete long block from Jesper Motors.

From talking to MAF I got the impression that you can get a rebuild motor from them for around $3500 and a loose ballpark figure of $1500 for the install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom