De-modding - am I crazy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These things well never get good MPG.
Just get the long range tank and enjoy it ! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Lots of good input here. Upgrading to a 100 series has its appeal but I do really like the solid front axles and the overall toughness. Selling it would be hard to stomach as I’ve just spent 200+ hours baselining it and would just have to do that all over with a new one.

Maybe a good route to go would be switching the MT’s for a gentler AT tire and a long range sub tank. We are moving to Alaska this year - there will probably be lots of off-road opportunities up there.

I didn't read the entire thread but given that the OP lives in MN, he'll be a driving a s*** ton of hwy miles to get to cool(er) spots out West. In that case, my suggestion is to return to 4.10s and run 285 75 16 with a 2" lift. This is a tried and true combo that works for 90% of wheeling while providing a nice, controlled hwy ride. Living in the Midwest means you'll be driving many hours just to get to the trail head and you'll want to arrive not wasted from a s***ty handling 80.

I've always AT tires and for the wheeling I do, they're just perfect. I can't stand tire and hwy noise so a set of quiet(ish) tires and some sound deadening do wonders for one's state of mind after driving for hours (or days) before airing down and start wheeling.

I used to live in s***cago and drove 20+ hours just to get to the trailheads. If the OP has a spouse who will be sharing the long drives, then it's even more important to have a well mannered 80 going down the hwy. It's easier to relax on the pass seat knowing that your steering isn't twitchy and your partner isn't white knuckling it the whole time while they drive.

Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:
I didn't read the entire thread but given that the OP lives in MN, he'll be a driving a s*** ton of hwy miles to get to cool(er) spots out West. In that case, my suggestion is to return to 4.10s and run 285 75 16 with a 2" lift. This is a tried and true combo that works for 90% of wheeling while providing a nice, controlled hwy ride. Living in the Midwest means you'll be driving many hours just to get to the trail head and you'll want to arrive not wasted from a s***ty handling 80.

I've always AT tires and for the wheeling I do, they're just perfect. I can't stand tire and hwy noise so a set of quiet(ish) tires and some sound deadening do wonders for one's state of mind after driving for hours (or days) before airing down and start wheeling.

I used to live in s***cago and drove 20+ hours just to get to the trailheads. If the OP has a spouse who will be sharing the long drives, then it's even more important to have a well mannered 80 going down the hwy. It's easier to relax on the pass seat knowing that your steering isn't twitchy and your partner isn't white knuckling it the whole time while they drive.

Just my .02 cents.

I believe the OP's issue is really just the gas mileage. Which is a problem since you'll need Jerry cans just to make it to the trailhead out west :D.

I live here in MN, we drive every year out west and I agree that you need to have a very understanding spouse. In my case, it's not about the s***ty handling but having to turn off the AC and blow the heater at max, as we try to get out of Arizona summer, trying to manage the coolant temps. Ahh... but the memories! She constantly reminds me how lucky i am.

I believe the OP's issue is really just the gas mileage.

Crappy gas mileage comes from too much lift, aggressive tires, engine RPMs too high, too much crap on top of the roof that isn't aerodynamic, etc.

Returning to close to stock or a min lift will improve everything all around.

Even going back to a mild lift and 33s, the OP will still be lucky to hit 15 on the highway. I get 13.5 on 33s and stock lift with mostly highway driving.
About the only time you well get 15 mpg with a 80 is going down hill with a tail wind :doh:

Similar gen 4runners don’t even get 15 mpg.

Sounds like going stock will be a lot of work with minimal gains (mileage wise). I might look into different tires to improve on road drive ability which may also help economy a little.

Anyone here drive the Alcan highway? I wonder if a 200 mile range is enough to make it to AK? May need an aux tank after all.

I'd say it's not too hard to make it more stock. Sell what you remove to help cost. As far as fuel mileage, a couple things you can do. A fresh oxygen sensor, lean out the air flow meter adjustment a few clicks, advance timing until it pings when driving then back it off a bit, if cat converter is old it could be reducing exhaust flow and hurting mileage, porting the cylinder head, have fuel injectors flow tested. Research all of these on your own before you do it so you can decide if you want to try them.

Lower tire pressure in the iwnter can also cause poor fuel economy. Wouldn't hurt to check those if you haven't already.

Other than that, maybe a "tune-up" is in order (dizzy cap and rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc.)

Also @Vision19 is that truck raptor-lined on the exterior? That'd be one thing that couldn't be easily undone.
Yes it is. That certainly won’t be undone.. wonder how much added drag there is with the rough surface? Curious, anyway.

Yes it is. That certainly won’t be undone.. wonder how much added drag there is with the rough surface? Curious, anyway.
Hmm I'm not sure about that. Wouldn't think it'd make much of a difference. Too bad you don't live out west, then you could just throw 37s on and go to town. Is there any decent wheeling up in Minnesota?

Hmm I'm not sure about that. Wouldn't think it'd make much of a difference. Too bad you don't live out west, then you could just throw 37s on and go to town. Is there any decent wheeling up in Minnesota?
No wheeling here in SW MN. Flat farmland.. Fortunately we are moving to AK this year.

Even if you had a stock low mileage perfect running 80 you would not see a big gain in MPG, even the EPA estimates when they were new are 11& 14 MPG and those were under perfect conditions.
1644375123718.png

And when you load it down for a trip it's going to be worse. the long range tank is going to be your friend.
If you really need good MPG you could just get a Subaru 🤷‍♂️
Sorry not trying to be a dick but if you do all the things others are suggestion you will still be getting terrible mileage

I dont know if it will help. I have a 2" lift (which ended up closer to 3"), 33" AT tires and always get 10-11mpg before and after adding sliders and a winch, loaded up for a trip or not. I did get 16mpg on my first trip when I had 31" tires, no lift, and no weight in the truck. I dream of 13mpg, but in my awake state I bought an aux fuel tank. I spent $400 in gas on a recent trip to Death Valley for the weekend and I'm only a couple hundred miles away. Driving thousands of miles...yikes. Maybe put a 1HD in there!

I have a 7200# rig on a 3" lift but with the turbo there's a lot less flogging of the engine, which means the tranny stays longer on OD. So, there's a slight fuel savings from pre-turbo and if I were to guess, maybe a consistent 14mpg if I can keep it under 80mph after turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom