Transfercase part time question... i cant remember what mods i did. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back in 2019 i redid my transfercase and converted to part time using locking hubs and a tranfercase rebuild. At the time i did a lot of research and think i did it right with a true part time conversion. I got a used low milage transfercase. Dropped it off at a reputable local cruiser shop and had them go through it and install all the new parts. I gave them a Marlin low range gear and a High range gear. I know i at least had them remove the VC. But is there more that would have been changed in the TC to convert to a true PT? Think i also bought another part that made it a true PT (in addition to the hubs). I think i did the whole deal. Is there a way to check if i have it as a true part time or if i just have the VC removed and the locking hubs? I know this is kind of stupid but i just cant remember except that at the time i "had it all figured out". I do know if you just install the hubs the front shafts are still spinning going down the road. A true PT conversion will disconect the front shafts completly which is what i think i did.

I only ask because now i am living in a snowy area and would kind of like the full time 4wd. Just want to see if i can just reinstall the VC or how deep i need to go. In honesty i probably will just leave it as it. But i was thinking about it and couldn't remember how i did it.

EDIT: Just found the receipt for the part time spool. Disregard.

Back in 2019 i redid my transfercase and converted to part time using locking hubs and a tranfercase rebuild. At the time i did a lot of research and think i did it right with a true part time conversion. I got a used low milage transfercase. Dropped it off at a reputable local cruiser shop and had them go through it and install all the new parts. I gave them a Marlin low range gear and a High range gear. I know i at least had them remove the VC. But is there more that would have been changed in the TC to convert to a true PT? Think i also bought another part that made it a true PT (in addition to the hubs). I think i did the whole deal. Is there a way to check if i have it as a true part time or if i just have the VC removed and the locking hubs? I know this is kind of stupid but i just cant remember except that at the time i "had it all figured out". I do know if you just install the hubs the front shafts are still spinning going down the road. A true PT conversion will disconect the front shafts completly which is what i think i did.

I only ask because now i am living in a snowy area and would kind of like the full time 4wd. Just want to see if i can just reinstall the VC or how deep i need to go. In honesty i probably will just leave it as it. But i was thinking about it and couldn't remember how i did it.

EDIT: Just found the receipt for the part time spool. Disregard.
When in snow, just lock in the hubs, place in hi range, and drive. Leave the CDL unlocked unless the PT kit automatically locks it due to the spool. Does it retain the center differential?

I know i at least had them remove the VC. But is there more that would have been changed in the TC to convert to a true PT?
Assuming that you did it using a typical kit, you also removed the differential spider gears and cross pin, and installed a spool (41311M):

HF2AV-TransferCase-SpiderGearsRemovedForPartTimeConversion.png

You likely also had to press a bearing onto the spool and replace the bearing race in the rear cover (race doesn't need to be replaced if you reused your old bearing). I think that's 36231C in the above image.

This video shows the entire operation:

15:05 shows the bearing to be pressed off and moved to the spool.
16:06 shows the spider gear and cross pin removal.
17:20 shows pressing the bearing off and onto the new spool.
20:28 installation of the new spool.

Don't waste your time and money going back to full-time. Lock the hubs and push a button when it snows. You can even leave the hubs locked all winter long than it's just as easy as pushing a button.

Don't waste your time and money going back to full-time. Lock the hubs and push a button when it snows. You can even leave the hubs locked all winter long than it's just as easy as pushing a button.
Thats really just what i did all winter. Here the winter roads get a soid packed base of snow/ice for a few months at a time. So you are kind of driving around on packed snow. When it was like this i just ran in 4 high. But occasionaly the interstates would be clear with patches of snow or ice. In that situation i would have to run rwd. Not the end of the world. But full time 4wd would have been better. Now that i found my recipt and i would need to redo the transfer no way am i going to mess with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom