Massive AM radio interference, maddening (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At the same time as the tune-up, or no?
Yes, same visit. I speculate that the antenna was in the way. He did not understand that it retracted when you turn the radio off. Therefore he forced it down. In doing so he ruined the plastic rope that elevated and retracted the antenna.

I do not know if they used real Toyota parts. They did not provide the packages.

The distributor on my truck has two ports for ventilation tubes. It is red, It has hex head bolts. The one on JT outfitters for the 92 is black and has no vents. Distributor Cap & Rotor for Toyota Land Cruiser 88-92 3F FJ62 FJ80 – JT Outfitters - https://www.jtoutfitters.com/product/distributor-cap-rotor-for-toyota-land-cruiser-88-92-3f-fj62-fj80/

The hold down bolts for the cap were crazy tight from the tune up shop. Maybe they cracked it?

The braid is tinned copper tubing. IT is grounded. IT made a huge difference with radio interference.

distributor.JPG

Last edited:
No LEDs.

I will check the battery and alternator grounds.

The frequency of the noise is about like a chainsaw, or model airplane engine. At 2000 RPM and six cylinders, that makes 12K sparkplug firings per minuet. That is the RPM of those little engines. I wonder if they installed the wrong sparkplugs, wires, cap or rotor?
Minor detail; since each cylinder fires once every 720 degrees ('cause it's a four stroke), or 3 ignitions per revolution of the crankshaft...
At 2k RPMs you'd have "only" 6,000 ignitions.
Yes, I'm a nerd.

Yes, same visit. I speculate that the antenna was in the way. He did not understand that it retracted when you turn the radio off. Therefore he forced it down. In doing so he ruined the plastic rope that elevated and retracted the antenna.

I do not know if they used real Toyota parts. They did not provide the packages.

The distributor on my truck has two ports for ventilation tubes. It is red, It has hex head bolts. The one on JT outfitters for the 92 is black and has no vents. Distributor Cap & Rotor for Toyota Land Cruiser 88-92 3F FJ62 FJ80 – JT Outfitters - https://www.jtoutfitters.com/product/distributor-cap-rotor-for-toyota-land-cruiser-88-92-3f-fj62-fj80/

The hold down bolts for the cap were crazy tight from the tune up shop. Maybe they cracked it?

The braid is tinned copper tubing. IT is grounded. IT made a huge difference with radio interference.

View attachment 3469473

That's not a Yazaki (OE) wire.

It seems to have started with a recent "tune up", new wires, new plugs (NGK BPR5EGP), New cap, new rotor.
Spark Plugs: OEM part# 90919-01091 Correct electrode gap: 1.1 mm (0.043 in.)
Recommended spark plugs: ND W 16EXR–U11 or NGK BPR5EY 11
Spark Plug Wires: OEM part# 90919-21503
Distributor Cap: OEM part# 19101-61240
Distributor Rotor: OEM part# 19102-61240
Distributor Cap Gasket: OEM part# 19127-61240

Be certain that all replacement ignition parts are OEM and not aftermarket. The 3FE will spit out aftermarket parts faster than you can put them in.

Yeah, the shop that did the work is a "cluster" *%!@. They used the wrong parts but at least they broke my antenna! They also do not know how to change oil. They are very fired. I'll go ahead and replace all the new parts.

What is the "go-to" place on line to get the suggested parts? The local dealer can get stuff but they charge about double for the service.

The distributor cap gasket?? That is an O-ring? What spec? I see toyota parts deal does not have any.

Be certain that all replacement ignition parts are OEM and not aftermarket. The 3FE will spit out aftermarket parts faster than you can put them in. Funny that, for a simple bullet proof engine it sure is picky. I drove the wheels off a 1962 VW Bug. IT was the same way. Use only real factory Bosh parts or regret it.

Yeah, the shop that did the work is a "cluster" *%!@. They used the wrong parts but at least they broke my antenna! They also do not know how to change oil. They are very fired. I'll go ahead and replace all the new parts.

What is the "go-to" place on line to get the suggested parts? The local dealer can get stuff but they charge about double for the service.

The distributor cap gasket?? That is an O-ring? What spec? I see toyota parts deal does not have any.

Be certain that all replacement ignition parts are OEM and not aftermarket. The 3FE will spit out aftermarket parts faster than you can put them in. Funny that, for a simple bullet proof engine it sure is picky. I drove the wheels off a 1962 VW Bug. IT was the same way. Use only real factory Bosh parts or regret it.
All standard parts are available at any Toyota dealer. I like to order from Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online - https://toyotaparts.ourismantoyotaofrichmond.com/

Here is a good resource for tune ups.

You can find part numbers (and even order) from www.partsouq.com (middle East)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom