Dave's Cruiser Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pesky heater hose?
🤷‍♂️ It was replaced at some point with good constant torque clamps, but I know that doesn’t guarantee anything. I’m looking for a good picture to show me where it attaches…the leak seems to be coming from right off the PS corner of the block…right about where it mates to the head. Much like a roof leak, it could also be flowing across from somewhere else I guess.

PHH and its pesky neighbor are on the driver's side under the intake manifold. Being that this leak is showing on the passenger side I would rule those out, but pin hole leaks can travel a bit under pressure. If PHH hasn't been done recently, it may be worth investigating. Do check your heater connections as well as the condition of the heater valve itself. They can and do bust.

Recently had an 80 heater valve fall apart in my hands.

PHH and its pesky neighbor are on the driver's side under the intake manifold. Being that this leak is showing on the passenger side I would rule those out, but pin hole leaks can travel a bit under pressure. If PHH hasn't been done recently, it may be worth investigating. Do check your heater connections as well as the condition of the heater valve itself. They can and do bust.

Recently had an 80 heater valve fall apart in my hands.

Heater valve was replaced in July along with all hoses and clamps. The connections around the valve and on the firewall are all dry. I tried getting a borescope camera back there to look along the head/block seam, but the lens is too close to really make anything out. Maybe I’ll try wiggling back in there with a telescopic mirror this weekend.

DEATH WOBBLE….not exactly, but close…

I started getting vibration, similar to low grade Jeep death wobble, on the 60 when I go into a left or right curve at >30mph. Figured I was due for an alignment but that didn’t help. Put it up on the lift and checked the bearings for play…nothing, re-torqued lug nuts, checked TREs and u-bolts on leaf springs…everything is tight. Steering dampner is OME and only about 2 yrs old. I went through everything I could find on past posts. None of that has worked I’m running out of ideas. Hoping somebody may have some personal experience.

Have not had a chance to actually check tire balance, but I did rotate them and saw no change.

I started getting vibration, similar to low grade Jeep death wobble, on the 60 when I go into a left or right curve at >30mph. Figured I was due for an alignment but that didn’t help. Put it up on the lift and checked the bearings for play…nothing, re-torqued lug nuts, checked TREs and u-bolts on leaf springs…everything is tight. Steering dampner is OME and only about 2 yrs old. I went through everything I could find on past posts. None of that has worked I’m running out of ideas. Hoping somebody may have some personal experience.

Have not had a chance to actually check tire balance, but I did rotate them and saw no change.
Check shackle bushings. If OME yellow poly and if they've been on there more than 5 years, they'll be ovaled out.

Check shackle bushings. If OME yellow poly and if they've been on there more than 5 years, they'll be ovaled out.
Only on for about 2 years, but driven daily… recommendations for bushings that may last longer?

Oem rubber bushings for the shackles.

If the death wobble just started then you're looking for something that wore out. On a 60, spring/shackle bushings, or a caliper that's sticking, or a tire that slipped a belt.

Finally had some time and figured it out….all previous ideas were not the culprit.

Relay rod ends. I pulled the cotter pins, made what amounted to about a 1 turn adjustment on one side and half turn on the other; no more wobble. Page SR-75 in the cirica 1985 FSM I have.

Not that exciting mechanically, so here’s a poser 60 with a Christmas tree shot…..

8892451F-85BB-4E93-85D6-28AE0A44BFC5.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom