Dave's Cruiser Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FJ60 w/4-spd manual

When I’m at a stop and I take my foot off the clutch, I get a light rhythmic “scraping” sound from down around the trans. I’m trying to start my fix simple and cheap before resorting to a whole clutch replacement.

From searching the forums, it sounds like my throw out bearing is contacting and making the noise.

Never messed with a clutch, but after looking at the FSM, is the “position” of the TOB changed by adjustment at the pedal and/or rod at the pedal (connector or disconnector rod; can’t remember)?

No (not typically). The adjustment at the pedal is for the pedal height and engagement of the pressure plate. Someone in theory could grossly miss adjust it but the slave cylinder rod and return spring set the TO bearing position.

Remove the inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing. Look and see if the TO bearing is riding on the pressure plate diaphragm. It could require adjusting the slave cylinder rod, could be your spring on the clutch fork needs replacing. The TO bearing should be held off the pressure plate diaphragm when the pedal isn’t depressed.

No (not typically). The adjustment at the pedal is for the pedal height and engagement of the pressure plate. Someone in theory could grossly miss adjust it but the slave cylinder rod and return spring set the TO bearing position.

Remove the inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing. Look and see if the TO bearing is riding on the pressure plate diaphragm. It could require adjusting the slave cylinder rod, could be your spring on the clutch fork needs replacing. The TO bearing should be held off the pressure plate diaphragm when the pedal isn’t depressed.

What Jon said.

Additionally .... perhaps start a "David's Cruiser" thread with all your topics in one place rather than a new thread for each.

Additionally .... perhaps start a "David's Cruiser" thread with all your topics in one place rather than a new thread for each.

Gotcha...wasn't really sure what the preferred method was in this forum.

I ended up replacing the clutch, pressure plate, bearings, etc. After putting everything back together, it still made noise. I’m in the process of servicing the t case. While the transmission is out, I’m replacing the throw out bearing with oem and also replacing the bearing carrier (which is still available from Toyota) I’m thinking the carrier is worn out and the bearing isn’t as tight on it as it should be, which is causing the noise.

So...it looks like per this thread and JimC that your TO bearing should be touching and spinning all the time and there is no adjustment at the arm. Learned something new.

Could be the pilot bearing.

Throwout bearing, when it fails, usually makes noise the most when the clutch pedal is depressed, not when it's released. Scraping sound could be the pilot bearing failing.

The adjustment at the pedal is to take up slack in the pedal, and must be adjusted to allow the slave cylinder to relieve the clutch fork of pressure. You can eliminate adjustment as the problem by disconnecting the clutch master cylinder piston clevis from the pedal, then running the truck in neutral.

Could be the pilot bearing.

Throwout bearing, when it fails, usually makes noise the most when the clutch pedal is depressed, not when it's released. Scraping sound could be the pilot bearing failing.

The adjustment at the pedal is to take up slack in the pedal, and must be adjusted to allow the slave cylinder to relieve the clutch fork of pressure. You can eliminate adjustment as the problem by disconnecting the clutch master cylinder piston clevis from the pedal, then running the truck in neutral.

Johnny beat me to it, I was just about to say don't rule out the pilot bearing.

Let's clarify something from your original post ...

"When at a stop and take my foot off the clutch"

Are you saying at a stop with the rig in neutral and foot off the clutch, or are you saying you hear a sound as you release the clutch with the truck in gear (i.e. as you set the truck into motion)?

No.. dead stop, trans in N, and foot off pedal. I’ve never been in another FJ60 before, so I don’t know what’s just normal quirks for these trucks and what’s actually abnormal.

No.. dead stop, trans in N, and foot off pedal. I’ve never been in another FJ60 before, so I don’t know what’s just normal quirks for these trucks and what’s actually abnormal.

That helps. My first guess is going to be the TO bearing because it (usually) makes more noise than a pilot. In addition, when the clutch is out there is no relative rotation between the crankshaft and trans shaft so the pilot bearing is doing nothing. What I suspect is the TO bearing is adjusted so it is making contact with the pressure plate fingers all the time (I don't care what Toyota says, I will always adjust a TO bearing to be 0.100" - 0.150" off the pressure plate with the clutch released.). I doubt the pilot bearing is the issue

As mention, pull the inspection cover and with the rig SOLIDLY CHOCKED climb under with it idling in neutral and see if the TO bearing is turning. If that is the source of the noise you will know.

Option 2 ... if you're not comfortable with that idea ... take a close up high-res pic of the throwout bearing with the engine off and the clutch pedal released and post it up. At least that will tell us how it is adjusted.

Last edited:
What I suspect is the TO bearing is adjusted so it is making contact with the pressure plate fingers all the time (I don't care what Toyota says, I will always adjust a TO bearing to be 0.100" - 0.150" off the pressure plate with the clutch released.)

Right, that's where I was going and found this searching last night...

which is why I initially asked about adjustments at the pedal...Followed by this about TOBs (just to add to my confusion)

Right, that's where I was going and found this searching last night...

which is why I initially asked about adjustments at the pedal...Followed by this about TOBs (just to add to my confusion)

I get that.

Regardless of whether it is turning all the time or not, if the TO bearing is the source of the noise then it is on its way to failing. All that remains is to do the above test to determine if that's the culprit. If it is then you get to decide how long to wait before pulling the tranny to replace it.

(BTW ... nice thread title)

Last edited:
As I mentioned, if adjustment is suspect, then disconnect the clutch pedal from the Mc pushrod and test again.

With the inspection cover off (and engine off) you should be able to put your hand up on the throwout bearing and see if it feels rough in rotation.

Tbh before going further I'd have someone else listen to the noise, or compare to another 60. Maybe take a video of it and post it to youtube. If it's not broke, don't fix it. If something does break, or if you decide the throwout bearing is bad, then either way you have to pull the trans. Not really worth it for a slight "scraping" sound.

DIZZY REMOVAL...WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

I am trying to remove the dizzy from my "parts" truck. Just to be sure, I referenced the FSM, MUD, Haynes, and Chilton. Since I'm not re-intalling, seems pretty straightforward. Remove bolt and pull out dizzy. This engine was leaking so much oil, nothing is seized up or stuck on it. The dizzy side bolt came out easy, but I can't pull the assembly out. I can twist it side to side freely and I can get it to lift about 1/8th inch, but it won't come free.

Is there another retainer I can't see under all the sludge? Do I need to be at TDC compression for removal?

Last edited:
You got to pull it harder. That is it, the bolt and pull.

You got to pull it harder. That is it, the bolt and pull.

Gotcha...use man hands. I'm trying to be careful and not destroy it so I can get it to somebody in need. Back at it tomorrow I guess. Thanks.

You can take a rubber mallet and tap it out (upwards) being very cautious to not hit breakable stuff.

Sometimes the o ring has them stuck in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom