Daniel/Novaphotog's Build, Maintenance and Journey Thread for "Pearl" the 1996 locked FZJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome rig cant wait until the JOAT rtt looks on it.

Thanks, and same!! Thinking I might have it color matched...we shall see.

Nice work on this one. Well proportioned and mod priorities!

On the frame descale and rocker fab, did you DIY?

I think I saw you at the fall crawl. Your 80 looks great!! How do you like the dobinsons? I've got ome 2.5" mediums now but I think by the time I add a bunch of armor I'll need to upgrade

Nice work on this one. Well proportioned and mod priorities!

On the frame descale and rocker fab, did you DIY?

Thanks! That was the vision! And nah, took it to Automotive Protective Services in Fairfax, VA. They did a great job. And rocker fab?

I think I saw you at the fall crawl. Your 80 looks great!! How do you like the dobinsons? I've got ome 2.5" mediums now but I think by the time I add a bunch of armor I'll need to upgrade

Absolutely love them. Probably one of my favorite things about my truck. Feel fantastic around town and ride like a cadillac on the trail. Truck sits right where I want it with the 800lb springs in the rear to manage the weight.

Truck is sitting pretty with the new hardshell tent installed.

1607370000018.png

1607370022422.png

1607370055654.png

I thought I’d read that you had the rocker panels cut and fabricated

I thought I’d read that you had the rocker panels cut and fabricated

Ah, not yet. We have the piece cut out of a parts rig, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I have a friend in body work helping with that as well when the time comes.

Wow...haven't updated this in a minute...that tent in the last post is already sold.

Truck is running great, recently serviced the knuckles (Cruiser Outfitters and Wit's End parts) as well as added an ARB Front Bumper swapping out the Trail Gear. Also, added the Huracan Fabrication tailgate storage as well! Absolutely incredible piece of kit.

Getting ready for Appalachian Toyota Round Up in September.

1629215248137.png

1629215227027.png

1629215173928.png

1629215051580.png

1629215124299.png

No updates to report. Just finally gave her a wash/quick wax and took some fresh pics of how she sits currently! Spring Maintenance items coming up:

Oil/filter change (Toyota filter, Mobil 1 5W-30)
PCV valve/tubing replacement
Oil sender unit replacement
Power steering hose replacement (seeping at the top near the reservoir)
ATF fluid drain and fill (Dextron 3) - only item along the driveline that has NOT received new fluid...heard horror stories of changing it out only to then have issues, but I think with a simple drain and fill it should be fine to begin slowly refreshing it.

_ANM8587.jpg

_ANM8555.jpg

_ANM8560.jpg

_ANM8553.jpg

_ANM8589.jpg

Several of the Spring maintenance items completed this past weekend and a couple others that weren't on the list!

oil/filter change with Blackstone sample taken (Mobil 1 5W-30 High Mileage and Toyota filter)
PCV valve and hoses replaced using the Wit's End kit
Oil Sending unit replaced so all gauges on dash are functional again
Installed the ARB turn signals
Installed the Slee Off-road A/C Dryer armor for ARB bumper's
Reattached factory front mudflaps
And FINALLY reattached the rear passenger fender flare.

Need to gather supplies to replace Power steering hoses, drain and fill the transmission and replace the Charcoal canister...

1648580383823.png

1648580414445.png

1648580478287.png

1648580524163.png

1648580538307.png

Several of the Spring maintenance items completed this past weekend and a couple others that weren't on the list!

oil/filter change with Blackstone sample taken (Mobil 1 5W-30 High Mileage and Toyota filter)
PCV valve and hoses replaced using the Wit's End kit
Oil Sending unit replaced so all gauges on dash are functional again
Installed the ARB turn signals
Installed the Slee Off-road A/C Dryer armor for ARB bumper's
Reattached factory front mudflaps
And FINALLY reattached the rear passenger fender flare.

Need to gather supplies to replace Power steering hoses, drain and fill the transmission and replace the Charcoal canister...

View attachment 2965906

View attachment 2965907

View attachment 2965908

View attachment 2965909

View attachment 2965910
Is that your shop? #goals. I'd kill to have an outbuilding big enough for a full sized lift.

Is that your shop? #goals. I'd kill to have an outbuilding big enough for a full sized lift.
I wish! Good friend of mine's! #Goals for me as well in the future though!

Wow. I have not updated this in awhile...time flies...

The truck and my life have changed quite a bit since March 2022!

I took off and sold the 35in Cooper's, and went to a 2in Dobinson's lift and 33in Falken Wildpeak AT3's. Life is so much better especially with the 4.88 gears at elevation. I do miss them sometimes...but couldn't imagine dealing with them on I-70. Added a Safari snorkel as well. More importantly, I packed up my s*** and moved to Colorado last year around this time. Since then have been enjoying CO trails as well as Moab! Triple locked and with a fantastic spotter (@, she and I walked up Hell's Gate like it was nothing. #just80seriesthings

Mileage log as of 7.31.2023 - 270,600

Added a Double Din carplay head unit and Retrosound front speakers. Subwoofer install pending as well.

Need to tighten the A/C belt I think, getting some intermittent squealing but she blows cold otherwise?

New rear exhaust pieces went on this weekend from good ol Rockauto after I crushed and broke the s*** out of the system in Moab...oops.

Other than that not too much to report. Still doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil between changes (which I credit to the @OTRAMM head gasket replacement/engine work).

I am trying to find time to take her to The Rust Doctor in Grand Junction...has anyone here utilized their services by chance?

1690823341086.png

1690823288349.png

DanielMcEnrue-6554.jpg

DanielMcEnrue-6548.jpg

_ANM6512.CR3.jpg

Wow. I have not updated this in awhile...time flies...

The truck and my life have changed quite a bit since March 2022!

I took off and sold the 35in Cooper's, and went to a 2in Dobinson's lift and 33in Falken Wildpeak AT3's. Life is so much better especially with the 4.88 gears at elevation. I do miss them sometimes...but couldn't imagine dealing with them on I-70. Added a Safari snorkel as well. More importantly, I packed up my s*** and moved to Colorado last year around this time. Since then have been enjoying CO trails as well as Moab! Triple locked and with a fantastic spotter (@, she and I walked up Hell's Gate like it was nothing. #just80seriesthings

Mileage log as of 7.31.2023 - 270,600

Added a Double Din carplay head unit and Retrosound front speakers. Subwoofer install pending as well.

Need to tighten the A/C belt I think, getting some intermittent squealing but she blows cold otherwise?

New rear exhaust pieces went on this weekend from good ol Rockauto after I crushed and broke the s*** out of the system in Moab...oops.

Other than that not too much to report. Still doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil between changes (which I credit to the @OTRAMM head gasket replacement/engine work).

I am trying to find time to take her to The Rust Doctor in Grand Junction...has anyone here utilized their services by chance?

View attachment 3388499

View attachment 3388498

View attachment 3388492

View attachment 3388491

View attachment 3388489
Fellow Virginian, jealous of the CO move. How are the 4.88s on the highway with 33s?

Fellow Virginian, jealous of the CO move. How are the 4.88s on the highway with 33s?
Fantastic. Sits a little under 3k around 70mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom