Daniel/Novaphotog's Build, Maintenance and Journey Thread for "Pearl" the 1996 locked FZJ80

Truck is pretty much baselined. All of the items from the checklist have been done. Lockers have been fixed (new rear actuator), only big ticket item left to be addressed is the A/C. Taking it in for an inspection on Monday. Gets hot quick around here!

Time to turn the page. Mods and Maintenance. First up, a Bowfin Cruisers roof rack! Super happy with the build quality here. Absolutely solid and well organized. Definitely took two people for the build/install for sure!

Pre-roof rack wash:

IMG_2769.JPG

Expedition Ready:

IMG_2773.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

Adding in some little things she was missing as well:

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

Had a great time this past weekend at Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA)!

Truck ate up all the greens we did and ask for more! Will definitely back with a smaller group to more blues (with the White Knuckle Sliders on...) ;)

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3120.PNG

IMG_3127.JPG

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Nice looking! -Green gets a bad rep, but I personally like/had one - the burgundy are my personal eyesore.

A quickie on Mobil 1 - good stuff but not for the birfs when you get there. No moly in the grease. Just so you know. Valvoline does a good semi-synth one though.

As much mud as you’re seeing, you might pop the standard square pipe plug cap off the top of each front knuckle & chopstick/ziptie -dip each side, see the color/level of birf grease.

And like someone mentioned, extend the diff breathers - and the front factory plastic box unit is a POS that likes to jam.

Hope you kept those FR mudflaps to sell- people pay for those as most 80’s got running boards & a port installed roof rack - yours dodged that bullet & even has the e-locks!

Nice looking! -Green gets a bad rep, but I personally like/had one - the burgundy are my personal eyesore.

A quickie on Mobil 1 - good stuff but not for the birfs when you get there. No moly in the grease. Just so you know. Valvoline does a good semi-synth one though.

As much mud as you’re seeing, you might pop the standard square pipe plug cap off the top of each front knuckle & chopstick/ziptie -dip each side, see the color/level of birf grease.

And like someone mentioned, extend the diff breathers - and the front factory plastic box unit is a POS that likes to jam.

Hope you kept those FR mudflaps to sell- people pay for those as most 80’s got running boards & a port installed roof rack - yours dodged that bullet & even has the e-locks!
Gotta a good amount of compliments on the color so far. White, Dark Emerald and of course Night Shadow Blue are my favorites.

I'm thinking of doing a flush again soon (3k miles) since it was so s*** before. You recommending switching to the Valvoline semi-synth 75-90 then?

And what am I looking for color wise with that test (birfs, knuckles, etc all new to me with this truck)? All I've learned so far is to watch out for seepage.

Diff breathers front and rear have been extended. And mudflaps have been kept. Need to repair the rear passenger fender flare, any tips there would be appreciated, but I think Overland Bound has a video on it. Will keep mudflaps and may reattach if I'm not going to be wheelin' for a bit. I like the look.

And yes, this truck is apparently relatively rare in that regard. Especially not having the roof rack. A few less holes in the roof to worry about!

Top Bottom