daily cruiser speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purhased my cruiser to replace my previous daily dirver. I drive my FJ60 about 60 miles a day going to and from work. I usually cruise the intersate at about 65 or 70 mph. Is this too fast for the 2F motor with the 4 speed transmission to handle each day? At 70 I am running about 3300 rpm. It seems to run just fine, just wondering if it is going to wear it down prematurely.
Thanks

I cruise my 84 '60 at 65 with no problems - it should be fine, although Iwouldn't push it much past 70. If it was my DD, definitely not much more than 65 (as if it would even go much faster than 70 :D)

I had a 77 fj40 with 2f with a 3 spd (transplant by previous owner - said he couldn't find a 4 speed to put in) Anyway, the motor blew after driving at 60-65 for a couple years of light highway use - usually 30 miles at a time. I think that it had a lot more to do with the 3 speed than the engine though - just too many RPMs on a consistent basis killed it.

Krushr

i haven't had any problems with my 2F runnin 65-70 mph.

i have a 3spd, but still 1:1 in 3rd, so it's the same deal.

redline is 4k, so as long as you're not gettin up there, you should be aight.

malphrus

Just put some 35s on it and benefit from the "longer legs". At 2650 rpm with a 4.11 and 35s I'm doing 65mph Don't know what 3K equals but over 70 for sure. Got a sbc if that makes it different?

Got some 31's on my FJ60 and at 2500 rpm's i am at 60mph. At 2750 i am at 65. The bigger tires really help out big time.

sound like the tires are stock 235's(28") to be turning those RPMs at 70mph. With 33's, 4.11's(yes 4.11 ;) I run about 3000k at 70mph.........I think, hell its hard to keep all this in my head ;)

your not killing the 3F at 3300 but lower is prolly better.

I drive 65-70MPH on the highway with no problems. I have 33 inch tires that really help.

I drive 70-75 for 150 miles at a time, to the mountains.
Worn out old F with 3 spd and 33's. Hits 80 without much issue on slight downhill. The new ign. should help, the old distributor oscillated and started to sputter above 75.

yeah, i have 31s on mine with stock 72 diffs.

My 6.0 vortec and 4L80e do wonders for my highway cruising ability :D

Thanks guys, I have stock tires on now, but soon 31 X 10.5 BFG ATs wil replace them. I used a GPS to see if the speedo was on right when I bought the truck. I was amazed that a 20 year old truck has EXACT speedo readings. Good idea to use GPS to check actual speed reading if your ever curious if yours is off. Thanks for the help.
Benji

Go bigger!! 60s look so cool with 33s :D

Will 33s fit on stock suspension? If so are they going to rub with articulation? I don't have the money for a lift, so that will be waaaay in th future. For now is my best bet 33s or 31s?
Cheers.

TJDIV,

I've tried to post this a few different ways..lets see if it works

lets see if I can make that bigger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom