D2S / 2Stroke LED DEPO Retrofit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Luke111

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I know the D2S Depo retrofit is buried in another thread which I'll link and I recently completed a quad setup for my 80 and this retrofit was just completed for a member running the same setup in their LX470.
Clearance for the D2S is the issue so removing the pivot point and replacing it with a threaded shaft and hard mounting that point gains clearance. You can also gain another 1/16-1/8 by not using the rubber washer on the base of the projector... I cut one using a bicycle tube picking up addition space.
Following @Briguy280z build replacing the ball pivot with a solid mount. I also Dremeled the small shoulder picking up an additional 1/16 for the D2S.

I used a dremel in my first build trimming the back of the reflector so the threaded ring and tightening tool had clearance. In this build, I sanded the back of the reflector flat using a bench sander to have a nice flat surface for the washer and threaded ring. I replaced the washer that came with the projector with a arbor shim which covers the hole of the reflector and offers a larger base for the threaded ring. With the projector in place and tight I installed the lights to insure the light cutoff was level.... even though the projector is tighten to the reflector you can turn it to make that adjustment. I remove the lights and use liberal amounts of JB weld to epoxy the thread ring to the reflector insuring it won't ever rotate, just be careful not to get any on the bulb holder.
The chrome process on the Depo is pretty cheap and when opening the lights you will get sealant in small areas on the chrome shroud. To remove sealant from chrome.... cut off a small piece of new sealant and use it to remove old sealant but you can also pull off chrome ... as I stated, it's a cheap chrome process. I find the best time to do this is right after you separate the glass lens and things are still warm. It's also a good time to take a flat head screw driver and remove the sealant from the tracks while it's still warm. You can do this later in the process using a heat gun. I also found that removing old sealant from the edge of the glass allows you to test fit the glass for clearance without having to pry the glass back off.
In the quad setup I built some of the chrome pulled off so I ended up painting everything. If you decide to paint, use Easy Off oven cleaner.. it will dissolve the chrome for a nice clean base. High heat primer and paint is the way to go. I also found the Apollo 3.0 shroud fit inside the reflector...I had to trim just a bit off the bottom of one the other one fit without trimming.
I was also able to use the factory caps.... I ended up opening the hole large enough to stretch around the D2S Igniter but I did have to JBweld the igniter shield so it won't slip off. I topped off the build installing the Morimoto 2Stroke LED in the high beam location...sealing the base from water allowing the cooling fan to stick out was tricky... time will tell if it holds up. I want to thank Chef J and @Briguy280z .... Chef J started the Bi-Xenon Retrofit thread Simplified in 2010 and he also retrofitted my first Depo 80 lights in 2011 and I just replaced them with the quads I built and @Briguy280z for documenting the hard mount pivot point.

1566921916482.png

fullsizeoutput_293b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2939.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2999.jpeg

Last edited:
Thought I'd post a picture of the washer I cut from a tube which helps you gain a bit more clearance..... instead of using the thick white that comes with the projectors and also a better picture of the glass edge and housing channels with the residual sealant removed.

1567251432980.png

1567251508360.png

1567251560407.png

Last edited:
^^^^Truth^^^^

Are you selling this kit?

Looks like you got a business plan. You should build them and then sell them as a plug and play replacement for all the people that are afraid to try this on there own.

Are you selling this kit?
I'm a dealer for the Retrofit Source so I can sell the projectors, harness, bulbs etc... to do the retofit
Looks like you got a business plan. You should build them and then sell them as a plug and play replacement for all the people that are afraid to try this on there own.
This is the second set of 80 lights I've retrofitted but I've done about 30 LX470's .. so yes I've sold a few plug and play new housings retrofitted.

Finally found time to work on my DEPO project but ran into a few challenges. Resurfacing this thread in case anyone else plans to upgrade the 20+ y/o headlights. I've removed the glass thanks to everyone's help, it was a lot easier than I thought! I'm attempting to install D2S and want to remove the housing to paint and also shave down a few areas to buy some clearance for the projector. (Trying to be like @Luke111 but only half as cool cause I'm not doing quads ;))

What is the best way to remove the white tabs circled? One of them looks like a clip that might just need the right angle and the other is the adjuster. Anyone have any pointers?

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 10.40.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 10.42.03 PM.png

@Luke111you have projectors for an LX450?
To run Depos in an LX450, you have to buy a LC grill. Otherwise the fit is good.
I bought my projectors at The Retrofit Source. They were very familiar with Depos and what setup to use.

2D6E36DC-2BDF-40A3-B658-2C034F3D6DFD.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom