D.U.I. HEI Ignition Distributors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
you can buy DUI direst from performance distributors.
Along this line I was considering changing mine from a point set up to a elctronic set up out of a 82-87 2F. Anyone know where I can find a new set up.
Wasn't there an Australian company shipping direct to the USA.
I seem to remember the thread tied to a carburator. i did a search but came up empty.

Take a look at fjparts.com and i think they have some elec. distributors that may be along the lines you are looking for.

this is who you were thinkin of
http://www.nardek.com.au/landcruiser.htm

no electonic set up listed however

I'm going to go to the electronic Toyota set up(on my fj45, w/77 2f), will need dizzy, ignitor, coil and side cover off a fj60(or late model fj40) not sure as to hooking it up, but it;s prolly simple.

I keep hearing of problem with the HEI set up, don't here of any problems with the OEM Toyota electonic set up. I think used will work fine. New would run over $300 for just the ignitor, $50 for coil, then prolly $200+++ for the new dizzy.........used prolly under $200 for the whole shabang. Might need the dizzy hold down from the same doner 60.

I considered using the non us dizzy I just picked up.......but that would mean staying with points or using a Pertonics set up, but it's still not gonna be water proof.

[quote author=petescoffee link=board=1;threadid=10233;start=msg91360#msg91360 date=1074368554]
you can buy DUI direst from performance distributors.
Along this line I was considering changing mine from a point set up to a elctronic set up out of a 82-87 2F. Anyone know where I can find a new set up.
Wasn't there an Australian company shipping direct to the USA.
I seem to remember the thread tied to a carburator. i did a search but came up empty.

[/quote]

Electronic ignitions are reliable and low maintenence. I also like the semi electronic ignitions on the 76-78? because if the ignitor fails on the trail, you can still make them run from the points by bypassing the ignitor. (ever tried finding a spare pick up coil or ignitor on the trail?)

Personally, I have never noticed any performance or mileage increase of electronic or even super-duper high energy ultra performance ignitions over a properly function stock ignition.

YMMV, but mine increases every time I tune it up.

i have it.
i like it.

idles better
accelerates better
passes on the highway better
runs smoother
smoother acceleration
slighly better fuel eccon
better power
better torque

i'm hoping to go TBI this year on the cruiser. TBI and EFI make a great combo you know. :cheers:

I followed Jeremy's article and have had no problems for over a year. I get better starts, seems like it has a broader powerband if that makes any sense. Istall was really easy AND it is reversable...if you don't like it. I did mine for the cost of the plug wires since a buddy had a dizz. You should have someone knowledgable check out the diz thoroughly before you install it.
Ed Long

Thanks Landpimp that was the site I was trying to figure out.
I have a petronix set up That I installed in My 1975 but did not like the fit of the parts. I had to shave the rotor base down and the fit as the wire came out of the distributor aws not real tight which means water problems.

I was going to go DUI but I want to try and stay Toyota. THis way if I brake down in no name town I can probably find Toyota parts.

[quote author=petescoffee link=board=1;threadid=10233;start=msg91725#msg91725 date=1074448934]
THis way if I brake down in no name town I can probably find Toyota parts.

[/quote]

We have a comedian in our midst. Call your local autoparts store and see what they have on hand for the Toyota set up. Cap, rotor, pickup, coil, igniter...

Thanks for the humor!!!

Good luck!

-Steve

Avoid Nebraska on your road trips, there's not much toyota at any parts store in no name Ne. My castor correction shims at the local Napa came in on 7 day shipping from Salt Lake.

I have a DUI in my Red '69-40(2F). I have installed two others (69-402F,71-40F) and both people claim better starting, driveability, power through RPM range, etc. I know of at least three more that are in 40's with 2F's and the people love them.

I also have read the stories that are on Pirate about the trouble that folks have had with their DUI set ups, and about those who swear by them.

I removed a vac advance points set up that worked fine, and swore that because of simplicity, I would not ever go electronic. I guess the last thing on my list for a reason to change to elc. would be water issues, unless you are trying to make your truck swim constantly.

Toyota electronic ignition is a great option, keeping it relativly stock, or modified with Toyota parts makes things easier for some, but as for availability of parts for a Toy system, I think that having a spare pickup,igniter, coil, cap, rotor, plugs, and wireset would be your only assurance of being able to get Toyota parts in butts bluff.

Hoping that someone else has something that I may need, has only ever left me hoping...the best idea is to take care of yourself, and plan ahead for possible issues..

Good luck!

-Steve

Surely there has to be an option between a $375 DUI and a $75 DIY.
I'm not real comfortable swapping cam gears and trusting that with my brand new rebuild.
Brog

Thanks Landpimp that was the site I was trying to figure out.
I have a petronix set up That I installed in My 1975 but did not like the fit of the parts. I had to shave the rotor base down and the fit as the wire came out of the distributor aws not real tight which means water problems.

I was going to go DUI but I want to try and stay Toyota. THis way if I brake down in no name town I can probably find Toyota parts.

DUI=Chevy, you don't get anymore available than that!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom