CX Racing Turbo for 1FZ-FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wouldn't hesitate in buying a CXracing kit for the intercooler, piping/tubing, boots and clamps. They lasted me like 8 years before I started breaking clamps and blowing boots with 40-50psi boost. They are nowhere near as quality as Vibrant intercooler-clamps-boots but they are a cheap way to figure out your routing and angles with cheap materials especially if you are doing the work yourself.

I have an XO2 racing intercooler for a Supra, but basically just the universal one like this: You can find one with the tubing and clamp kit for $150-160 if you look around.

27x12x3 3" Inlet & Outlet Universal Bar&Plate Front Mount Turbo Intercooler | eBay

WOW 40-50psi boost sounds a little crazy was this from a 1FZ?

How has the CX turbo manifold held up?

IIRC @FastCarGuy turbo is CX based but needed a little massaging to get everything perfect.

Nope, I am using the EMS J-pipe which is the same one that @scottryana is using on his. For a turbo I am using a Holset HX35, with built in wastegate. My intercooler is custom, as it was made by a friend of mine for a custom Cummins into a LandRover 110 project. My 4" downpipe came off that same project that reduces to 3" all the way back. My blow-off valve does vent to atmosphere but I have not noticed any issues with it releasing metered air from the MAF.

That sounds like a tidy setup. What boost is your wastegate set to, and how difficult was it to adjust the internal wastegate? :cool:

That sounds like a tidy setup. What boost is your wastegate set to, and how difficult was it to adjust the internal wastegate? :cool:
I have an adjustable wastegate https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD9BWEK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I started off at ~6 psi, and have worked up to ~8 psi with no issues. I have around 3,000 miles at this setting, a little over 10K miles on turbo.
It is very easy to adjust the setting itself (5 min. job), but in my case I have to unbolt the intercooler and lift it up in order to get to the wastegate, so about an hour.

Kyle, what route did you take? did you end up getting the CXRacing kit? I too was looking at that kit and was ready to buy it yesterday... was planning to pull the trigger on it today but am trying to gather more intel. I cracked the factory exhaust mani and figured if i was going to buy a manifold... might as well boost her

I have not pulled the trigger as of yet—really waiting on Wits End setup and see what price range that will be guessing 4-5k but with very minimal rust on my rig and only 185k I’m in it for the long haul—hopefully my kids first car

I have a CX kit on my 80 installed by PO. The truck runs 5psi on the factory ecu. The turbo as everyone says isn't great quality and will likely be replaced here soon. But the manifold, intercooler, and piping are all doing great.Living in the Colorado Mountains the boost is awesome. I have the Gen1 intercooler which is in a poor spot and plan to build a skid plate over it, but CX has developed a Gen2 intercooler with a much better placement and skid plate to go over it.
fj80 turbo.jpg

Haha, yes a lot of chatter in there. If you haven't already, you can read through my DIY turbo thread (link in sig). I got it up and running for a little over $2,000. I gave up on it due to exhaust leaks (sensitive wife, and I have a history of carbon-monoxide poisoning loved ones, which may explain a few of my loose screws as well :eek: ), but everything worked quite well in the end.

The same general process could be followed by using the CX manifold and downpipe, and then sourcing quality parts for everything else. A real Borg Warner S300sx turbo can be had for around $600 if you shop carefully. Also lots of affordable Holset turbo options (hard to tell what's a knockoff and what isn't), but they are OEM on some domestic diesels, so should be reasonably reliable. One strategy I think I read about another mudder doing was buying a knockoff ebay GT35 turbo to get everything up and running, and then coughing up the dough for a real Garrett GT35 (about $1500) a year or two later.

Although it is a lot of money, the Wits' End kit should be worth it if you can manage. Smartly designed from the beginning, no cheap junk parts or materials, and most importantly, everything is made to work together on a 1fz. It's almost as much as I paid for my cruiser, but this is a dumb expensive hobby anyway, so what the heck! :hillbilly:

Would the Borg Warner bolt onto the CX manifold? I'm looking for a replacement to the CX T70 I have on it now.

I have a CX kit on my 80 installed by PO. The truck runs 5psi on the factory ecu. The turbo as everyone says isn't great quality and will likely be replaced here soon. But the manifold, intercooler, and piping are all doing great.Living in the Colorado Mountains the boost is awesome. I have the Gen1 intercooler which is in a poor spot and plan to build a skid plate over it, but CX has developed a Gen2 intercooler with a much better placement and skid plate to go over it.View attachment 1873668

And you're OBD1 :clap:

Would the Borg Warner bolt onto the CX manifold? I'm looking for a replacement to the CX T70 I have on it now.

Excited to see a real MUDder with this setup, as we've mainly just been guessing as to it's actual quality.

It is a standard t4 flange, so it should bolt up to your manifold. Compressor intake and outlet should also match up. However the v-band for the downpipe is different and will require some re-tooling.

I have a CX kit on my 80 installed by PO. The truck runs 5psi on the factory ecu. The turbo as everyone says isn't great quality and will likely be replaced here soon. But the manifold, intercooler, and piping are all doing great.Living in the Colorado Mountains the boost is awesome. I have the Gen1 intercooler which is in a poor spot and plan to build a skid plate over it, but CX has developed a Gen2 intercooler with a much better placement and skid plate to go over it.View attachment 1873668

Very nice!!! I know everyone bags on CX racing on quality but at the price of a single component from other fancy main brand. Like many says it is no wheee near perfect but a good starting point for many with many upgrade options.

The price point with a intercooler is definitely attractive even if you need to do some upgrading.

Like @Jason Andrews and @Qball pointed out, CX stuff is pretty good for what it is price wise. My CX header really wakes up my 1FZ and has no issues (did have to port it some which was easy). It is a price point thing relative to your time and ability, coupled with how gutsy you are with risk. Top shelf gets you your money's worth but inexpensive side gets you moving provided you may have to tweak a bit.

If you do nothing you might as well sell everything. Have fun and post results
:)

Like @Jason Andrews and @Qball pointed out, CX stuff is pretty good for what it is price wise. My CX header really wakes up my 1FZ and has no issues (did have to port it some which was easy). It is a price point thing relative to your time and ability, coupled with how gutsy you are with risk. Top shelf gets you your money's worth but inexpensive side gets you moving provided you may have to tweak a bit.

If you do nothing you might as well sell everything. Have fun and post results
:)

It does???? Might have to get one to try while waiting for witsend turbo

It does???? Might have to get one to try while waiting for witsend turbo

The header you mean? Well yes, but it's like friends with benefits. I have a full 3" exhaust behind it and 4.88 gears on 35's. Add to that I am at 850' above sea level and you get my potentially skewed results.

My kid's 80 is on 35's with a nla aussie header and stock gears and it goes well but has nothing on my 80.

Honestly at my altitude my 80 didn't give up much when I pulled the SC and sold it. In Ouray last August it kind of sucked.

The header you mean? Well yes, but it's like friends with benefits. I have a full 3" exhaust behind it and 4.88 gears on 35's. Add to that I am at 850' above sea level and you get my potentially skewed results.

My kid's 80 is on 35's with a nla aussie header and stock gears and it goes well but has nothing on my 80.

Honestly at my altitude my 80 didn't give up much when I pulled the SC and sold it. In Ouray last August it kind of sucked.

The Y in the stock exhaust is super small and restrictive, the magnaflow is much large. I wonder how much performance the headers have over the Magnaflow down pipe?

How noticeable is the power or pep increase with header along or that got install together with your exchaust?

How noticeable is the power or pep increase with header along or that got install together with your exchaust?

It was all together. I had a supecharger with stock manifolds and ems exhaust, then went supercharger with header and 3" exhaust, then no supercharger but with header and 3" exhaust.

So as long as I have owned this 80 it has had some form of free exhaust but can definitely tell a difference in steps from pure stock (my old 80, header and stock exhaust pipe (daughter's 80), and mine with CX and 3".

I also went with the CXracing turbo kit. for the price point, its a pretty good kit, but I fully expect to replace some components sooner than later. My wastegate wont seem to get my boost down where I want it to be (im at 8-15 most of the time), I wish they had used a vband design instead of the 4 bolt flange for the wg... also intercooling piping needs some re-work, otherwise no complaints! Definitely woke the 1FZ up!

15psi on stock engine management won't last long.

I also went with the CXracing turbo kit. for the price point, its a pretty good kit, but I fully expect to replace some components sooner than later. My wastegate wont seem to get my boost down where I want it to be (im at 8-15 most of the time), I wish they had used a vband design instead of the 4 bolt flange for the wg... also intercooling piping needs some re-work, otherwise no complaints! Definitely woke the 1FZ up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom